testtest

It’s Still a Very Good Idea to Have a Conceal Carry Permit in Permitless Carry States

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Last edited:
I'm in Colorado. Every 5 years I renew my permit by mail. We don't even have to go and get fingerprinted anymore for renewal. It's effortless.

Colorado is not a permitless carry state and I doubt it ever will be in my lifetime. If it ever became a permitless carry state I would continue to make my permit for reciprocity.

If you've ever had a permit, if you've ever bought a gun from a FFL, if you were ever a member of the NRA or any other Second Amendment advocacy organization your names on a list anyway.

Yup. Our state went permitless about 5 years ago, but I've been maintaining my enhanced permit anyway. In no small part because it gives me reciprocity with something like 39 other states.
well i don't ever see my state going permitless...

and too, my state does not reciprocate with anyone else.

so, i'd have to get that Utah permit, then a few others, in a one day "class", and of course, pay for it.

something like $350 just for the class, pictures, target shooting/qualification, and notarized forms...

then, the states i have to apply to..??

all extra fee's..........yeah.......so maybe not a good idea.

Good read on why it’s still a good ideal to have a CCW permit in a permitless carry state, in Ohio we just got this during the summer and I still plan on renewing my license anyway.

Agreed.
I had a permit in CT. And a permit in Texas. When I moved to Kentucky it was a constitutional carry state so I waited, when I went to work in security the plan was to be a licensed carry guard so the company I worked for paid for the CCDW Class and protection officer class and license. Passed both with no issues.
Then as private security is where I was working decided to change security companies and the new company said they were cutting the hourly rate and I said “GOOD BY” and took my permits and walked away.
As mentioned in another post I’m aware I’m now on “a list” but in Kentucky you are required to present your drivers license anyway if you are stopped when driving and I know my carry licenses are linked to my DL so it’s all good.

well i don't ever see my state going permitless...

and too, my state does not reciprocate with anyone else.

so, i'd have to get that Utah permit, then a few others, in a one day "class", and of course, pay for it.

something like $350 just for the class, pictures, target shooting/qualification, and notarized forms...

then, the states i have to apply to..??

all extra fee's..........yeah.......so maybe not a good idea.
Jeez, that's brutal. Yeah, maybe in your case is actually isn't worth it.

Reciprocity is definitely an argument in favor of jumping through the hoops to get your CCL. Not required to carry in my state, but when I cross into another state it's nice to know I am OK.

Biggest argument I find in favor of the CCL is that it should give a defense attorney another way to persuade a jury that you aren't a "would be Rambo type" looking for trouble. Should I need to use a firearm in self defense I want every card that could be played available.

Personally, I have encouraged everyone I know to go through the class for the information available. My instructor spent a great deal of time explaining the law around the use of lethal force, and I left feeling far cognizant of how the laws are interpreted. That was worth my time and money.

I have kept my permits for NH and ME. I called ME SP a while back and asked when they went to constitutional carry, should I keep the permit. The Lt I was speaking to said absolutely. I can get into some places permit less carries can't and if I ever got stopped by them and I didn't have a permit, there would be lots of questions. If I have a permit (and it's out of state so it's vetted through the SP) he said there would be no questions about the firearm as the troopers know their dept issued it.

On a side note, I have called the ME and NH SP a few times with permit renewals. They are always professional and are a pleasure to speak with.

Maybe. My state does not let you bypass NCIS when buying a gun if you are a CCW permit holder. I can buy as many guns as I want to regardless of permit status. All the states that I would care about as far as reciprocity are also CC states. I am diametrically opposed to asking the government for permission to arm myself for my and my family's defense. Especially if I don't have to anymore. Plus paying them ? No thanks. There is a reason we went CC and it is a reason I completely agree with.

I am a strong supporter of citizens having their carry licenses if it's an available option. One of the first things I did when I moved to TX was apply for my LTC. About 8 months after I got it, our "CC" law went into effect.

To be 100% honest, I didn't love the Texas version of constitutional carry. It's kind of horseshit. If you are going to call it CC, Truly make it CC. Don't beat around the bush. It's really more permitless carry than anything else, your ability to carry under the "CC" law is a bit half-baked if you ask me.

It just makes sense to have it, between the reciprocity (38 States if you hold a Texas Resident LTC), the ability to be exempt from the NICS check, and being able to carry in more places plus the clemency granted to you by it in certain situations... It's really a no brainer.

But the biggest thing for me was that I felt the LTC requirement worked and if someone went through the hassle of getting that license, they are someone who is more likely to seek further training and education and end up being a responsible firearm owner/carrier. Not to say someone carrying under CC couldn't or wouldn't be, but I imagine you can see where my concern lies on the other end of the spectrum in that regard.

This was originally a two sentence response and then a bit of word vomit happened. Sorry gents.

Last edited:
Back