testtest

Japanese Lunge Mines and Banzai Sticks — Last-Ditch Weapons in WWII

They were a committed enemy. I heard stories of Pacific island battles and Naval battles from veterans when I was a boy. The Fortunately Truman had the cajones to use nukes as our casualties in an invasion would have been astronomical.

I do have an Imperial Japanese Army bayonet. Pic here with an old army bayonet that was in need of some TLC.

Never knew what the hook was for. Learned something new. 👍

IMG_0421.jpeg

It is a reasonably good article. The main criticism I'd have concerns the "lunge" mines & some conflation of the term "fougasse" (which they really aren't). I've armed many a flame fougasse and examined others, like stone fougasses & the only thing they have in common with the Lunge device is that they are single-use. (Ancient stone fougasses, like the ones on Malta can eventually be "reloaded", but unlikely during actual contact).
If the article mentioned the "Munroe Effect", I overlooked it. It is implied by the description of the shaped charge assembly which utilized this principle.
An additional oversight (unless I missed it) was characterizing these for what they were, "Pole charges" as they were known and employed in various conflicts, especially the early years of the Vietnam War. Essentially a "poor man's Bangalore Torpedo" they were used in the same manner to breach wire/berm/abatis defenses. Usually just a length of bamboo with a bagged charge and a detonating line that was also alarmingly short.

Back