testtest

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

dad

Master Class
Today is November 22 2022 and unfortunately the anniversary of our presidents assassination and my birthday. I was 7 and until the passing of Jacquelyn Kennedy Onassis that was what the day was remembered for. Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news?

I was in elementary school in Massachusetts. It was a very sad day. This was the first time I remember my mother crying. I remember him driving in his motorcade when he was in town as my parents owned a summer home a couple blocks from the Kennedy Compound.

I was a 6th grader and had stayed home from school that day because I had a bad cold. I was sitting in front of our old black and white TV eating lunch and watching a mid-day program that my mother had on when Walter Cronkite broke the news:

The video in my first post was not the one I wanted to use. The one below is:

I was in 3rd grade in a small country school in Minnesota. Our teacher’s sister came to the school and informed our teacher. She told us kids that the President had been killed. She was crying and all us kids were quite scared. Remember it like it was yesterday. Funny how those type of events stick in your memory.

I was in 9th grade Civics class when the principal came on th P.A. system and made the announcement. Ironically, the lesson was about Presidential powers, what a President could and could not do without the consent of Congress. After the announcement, he piped CBS News (Walter Cronkite) on the P.A. and we were told to remain where we were until further notice. About an hour went by and the principal came back on, announced an early dismissal, and said the buses were here to take us home as well as cancelling all extra curricular activities for the day. The silence on the bus ride home was something else I'll never forget. Like many other Americans, I was glued to the TV for several days.

Hi,

I was pretty young but I remember that day. I didn't really grasp the gravity of the situation but my parents were upset when I got home from gradeschool. My cartoons were preempted by all the news. Now I realize they don't make Democrats like that any more. "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back