testtest

Judge strikes down under 21 purchase laws

Not every adult is qualified to own or carry a firearm just the same as 18-20 yr olds.
I know a lot of 18+ adults who are light years beyond their age with smarts, control and maturity.
Conversely I know a lot of people who I refuse to go to the range with as they have no business owning a gun for lack of sense, maturity and safety issues.

If you can vote and die for our country, then you should be able to own a firearm.

Hmm… Sounds like another win to me. But I have some unease deep down about it, too…

I would much rather see it remain 21 (to purchase for oneself) than to see some kinda spate of shootings occur.
Far as comparisons to other rights? Wouldn’t bother me a bit if the voting age went to 21, instead.
Draft? That’s pretty much just wartime and full mobilization - lots of things change then - and “full citizenship” like voting, handgun purchase or whatever could be conferred to anyone under 21 upon release from active duty (“you earned it, kid!”). Beer age was 18 in my state when I was in HS. It’s been 21 for any alcohol for some yrs now.
Wonder why?? 🤔 🙄

My real concern? We mess around and the gun grabbers end up with real fuel to use against 2A. Deaths, accidents or whatever unintended consequence that crops up.

I gotta think about this a bit.
A stair-step approach to responsibilities from youth to full adulthood might not be unreasonable…

I feel like this is a rubber meets the road kind of moment. That instant where words must have defined meaning and foundational rules must be followed or properly amended. The moment we go "well..." or "...but" we've lost on the real issue, which isn't just 2A, it's Constitutionalism as a whole. Do the words on the parchment mean something or not?

BTW, I'm down for amending to 21yr, across the Constitution, with a intentional exception for active duty military and LEO (in the line of duty only, until 21).

I feel like this is a rubber meets the road kind of moment. That instant where words must have defined meaning and foundational rules must be followed or properly amended. The moment we go "well..." or "...but" we've lost on the real issue, which isn't just 2A, it's Constitutionalism as a whole. Do the words on the parchment mean something or not?

BTW, I'm down for amending to 21yr, across the Constitution, with an intentional exception for active duty military and LEO (in the line of duty only, until 21).
I will disagree on this, if you can go into the military at 18, you should be able to buy a rifle or shotgun, in Ohio, you do have to be 21 for a handgun though. If they make it you have to be 21 to purchase any gun, then you shouldn’t be able to enter the military till 21 then.

I’m not conflicted at all. If you are old enough to vote, sign a legally binding contract, join the military and go to prison you are old enough to have 2A rights. Nowhere in any correspondence from any of the framers is age mentioned as a benchmark to have or exercise constitutional rights.

We raised 4 children and I supervised many from 18-60. Some 18 year olds are mature beyond their years and some 40,50,60 never matured. But we have lived with 21 for handgns for decades. You cannot rent a car under 25 in most places. It is established science that your cerebral cortex is not fully developed until age 25. Everyone is different.

The military situation for 18 year olds with guns is different from the average kid on the street corner. They are trained and closely supervised.

Florida law is that you cannot buy any gun under 21, but AD military, and certified LEO's and corrections officers are exempt so that argument does not hold. If you want to give a gun to an 18 year old you can. You be the judge. I personally think lowering the age to buy a handgun to 18 will result in more stupid things to go wrong.

Back