testtest

Just bought an XD-M Elite 10mm, and having second thoughts based on the slide rails

I had handled the pistol at the store, and combed through the various online reviews. My only significant concern was for the trigger safety being polymer. I have a few guns with polymer triggers, and haven't had any issues with them so far.
But today after bringing the XD-M home for the first time, I see that the rear slide rails are also just polymer!
Let me clarify. The slide is all metal - very substantial, as befits a 10mm. The slide attaches to the grip with two sets of rails, each about 3cm long, with the first metal rails being above the trigger, and the second set at the very rear, and I only tonight realized that the rear rails are part of the molded polymer grip.
I was so surprised I went to check other polymer guns I have access to, including an Springfield Armory XDS .45, Siig P365 in 9mm, M&P Shield Plus in 9mm, Ruger LCPs in .380 and .22, and a Glock 45, in 9mm. All of them have metal rails, either one long set or two sets, front and back.
I haven't even fired it yet, but this bothers me. I don't believe I have cause to return the pistol, but I am not happy to only now realize the rear slide rails are just polymer. I imagine they wouldn't exist at all if they aren't important to the stability of the slide. The XD-M forward rails are very substantial compared to other pistols, but still only 3cm long.
I would appreciate hearing from those with insight or expertise. Or anyone with a high round count who can examine their rear rails for wear.

I'm sure it will be fine. Once you sign and accept a gun you cannot just return it. You could trade it in, at a loss for something else. Next time look at it before you purchase to make sure you will be happy with it. I have not heard of this firearm having any issues at all and i'm sure the engineers that designed the firearm took that into account.

The XD/XDm series guns do indeed have poly rear rails. Don’t be afraid, it’s the way it was designed and it works flawlessly. I have numerous models from a XD9 tactical with 30,000+ rounds through it to a XD40 and 45 service models with probably close to 10,000 rds each. When compared to new guns there is virtually no difference in fitment between slide and frame. I don’t remember ever hearing about an issue with the poly rear rails on the XD series guns. Not sayin a fluke incident can’t happen but the only time I have ever experienced a broken rail was on a Smith and Wesson sigma series 40 cal. Part of the front rail broke off and locked the gun up. S&W replaced the gun with one of their SD series guns.

I've made that mistake twice last week of thinking guns had polymer rails and they didn't your Elite does not have them either. check real close.
This is why I asked for expertise or insight. To let those who just opine save their time for something more subjective.
I am not guessing. The material comprising the rear rails rises continuously from the rear of the grip. There is no metal insert as it seems you suppose. It is obviously not the same material as the forward rails.

If you had this pistol in front of you I assure you it would be obvious to you as well. Note the seam from the mold process that rises right through the top, and the lack of a seam where any metal parts are mounted to comprise the rails.

I hope this will save time for anyone else who might otherwise drop into the thread with assumptions.

SpringfieldArmoryXD-MRearRails.jpg

All XDm’s have polymer rear rails, been that way since they were first introduced many years ago, this is nothing to be concerned about, very little wear may appear on the rear, the front front rails takes all the stress, I have fired many thousands of rounds throwing my original XDm that I bought back in 2009, just after they came out, very little wear, so enjoy your gun, it’s will be fine and it’s nothing to stress over.

All XDm’s have polymer rear rails, been that way since they were first introduced many years ago, this is nothing to be concerned about, very little wear may appear on the rear, the front front rails takes all the stress, I have fired many thousands of rounds throwing my original XDm that I bought back in 2009, just after they came out, very little wear, so enjoy your gun, it’s will be fine and it’s nothing to stress over.
I agree! You will never wear out those rails

Thanks - I have an AR-style .22 from S&W that is nearly all polymer, (excepting the bolt and barrel) and I was dubious when I saw how little metal there was in it. But this is a 10mm, so my concern is greater. I appreciate your feedback.
Has anyone else anything to report in terms of specifically examining the rear rails on a high round count XD-M?

Thanks - I have an AR-style .22 from S&W that is nearly all polymer, (excepting the bolt and barrel) and I was dubious when I saw how little metal there was in it. But this is a 10mm, so my concern is greater. I appreciate your feedback.
Has anyone else anything to report in terms of specifically examining the rear rails on a high round count XD-M?
I also got the XDm Elite Compact in 10mm, polymer rear rails also

Back