testtest

Just bought an XD-M Elite 10mm, and having second thoughts based on the slide rails

Pics of my XD9 tactical at 30k+ rounds. Shot it in uspsa for four years, 6-7k per year plus many years just as a shooter before and since then. Still tight. Very smoooth.🙂

1710004372513.jpeg

1710004473701.jpeg

1710004510457.jpeg

1710004553468.jpeg

1710004592873.jpeg

Has anyone else anything to report in terms of specifically examining the rear rails on a high round count XD-M?
As 'high round count' could be subjective number, I am curious as to what you consider 'high round count'. Does this round include rounds fired through all your guns during the course of say, a year, or just one?

Since you seem concerned about polymer rear rails on your XDM 10mm Elite. How many rounds do you intend to shoot through it in the course of a year?

Personally, I think you are overly concerned about wear on the polymer real rails. As other posters have already stated that they have thousands of rounds through theirs I certainly am not going to worry about the few hundred rounds I put through my XDM 10mm Elite.

I've got thousands and thousands of rounds through my XDm Elite 3.8" 10mm. Most of them being very hot rounds. You are completely unjustified thinking it's a problem or unsafe with the polymer rear rails. Most of the abuse is take by the metal front rails.
Go shoot it and enjoy it!

I used four different ammo types, and did not have one misfire or feed issue.
Out of the box it had literally no detectable oil. All I did was wipe down the recoil assembly and the barrel with oil, and then trail a fine line down the the rails.
I am nowhere near accurate with it, compared to the XDS. I haven't been able to find any sort of wall or break point I can count on. I am kind of spoiled with 1911-style pistols. The XD-M seems much better than a Glock, but I find the triggers on a P365 and M&P Shield Plus suit me better.
It was manageable in terms of recoil. Mostly I did S&B 180, with a few defensive Hornady hollow points, some full-power MagTech 180, and a few solid copper Underwood.
After 20 rounds or so I noticed that I could definitely feel the trigger slapping my finger. I am not observant enough to know exactly when in the process it does so, but after a couple dozen rounds more my finger was definitely tingling.
I am not enthused about the sights. For rapid acquisition they are great, but I was not very consistent in terms of being able to get anything like my typical groups at 10 yards.
I went through about 75 rounds in about 15 minutes. I deliberately staggered in the hotter rounds to see if there was a noticeable difference in recoil. What was definitely noticeable in a Rock Island was almost not detectable in the XD-M, though I could definitely hear the difference.
After trying all the options, I settled on leaving the magwell on, and with the thickest backstrap. My pinky was crowded off the grip in all configurations, and I found it felt more comfortable on the magazine basepad under the magwell as opposed to without the magwell.
One other surprise with this pistol, is that the slide can't be pulled back without depressing the back safety. That was new to me.

Wow, learn something new all the time. I didn’t know ANY pistol had poly rails, and if I’d thought about it, I’d have guessed if any did it’d be a .22. With that said, I doubt you’ll have any issues. These Springfields have been out quite a while and I’d never heard of a problem. If they were failurepointsfolks would be getting the word out. Enjoy your new pistol👍

I don't have the 10mm or an Elite, just the OG XD-M in 9mm and the rear rails are indeed poly. The rear rails are just a guide, the front rails are integral to the beefy locking block and takes the blunt force when fired. Have had it many many years and unknown rounds through it without issue. Don't sweat it, shoot it.

Last edited:
Back