testtest

Kinda new to using sights... is a Vortex 1-6 too much for a 10.3-inch barrel gun?

I'm old school cold war military where we used iron sights, now I'm getting into putting sights on my guns. I use a red\green dot (Romeo's and Holosun's) for my PDW and AR Pistols, but I was wondering if the Vortex 1-6 sight is too much for 10.3 inch barrel AR. I guess the idea would be to use it for 200 to 300 yards, but now-a-days can't even find what max range and max effective range of weapons are, like it was drilled into use with the M16A2. (I bought the Vortex for my M1A but that's a fun gun I prefer to shoot with iron sights.)

Just trying to learn and understand new weapons and sights of today.

Thx.

This is off hand with an unbraced 10.5" at 100 yards and a Romeo 5.

30rSyrR.jpg

300 yards with a scope should be easy enough.

Modern methodology/technique really makes a strong case for the true/near-1x LPVO.

The weight of the modern LPVO is still unfortunately a very real consideration, even with a good, lightweight mount...that said, with a 10.3 or 11.5-inch gun, unsuppressed, the mass/weight will be very close to the fulcrum point (the main pistol grip at the receiver), so handling shouldn't be much of an issue unless hand/wrist strength is compromised due to injury or the like. You're just not going to get that bareback, near-weightless feeling of irons-only or a mini/micro-RDS.

That said, it allows for quite a bit more resolution in terms of visual identification of friend/foe ("PID"), as well as works well to compensate for the shooter's vision shortcomings, and is really only a tiny fraction of a second slower in terms of speed at CQB distances (if at all), provided that the shooter is willing to put some time into practicing "up drills" -

Most 556 reticles are either going to be for 55 or 62gr from m4 or dmr barrel lengths. Check with the manufacturer for barrel length used for drops. Nothing wrong for sure on lpvo choice with a 10.5" with a 556 cartridge. Going 600 yards shouldn't be a problem. I go 500 yards with a 11.5" 556 no problem. If you're using 300bo forget it! 300 yards and maybe 500 depending on bullet weight and velocity can get you the distance without a massive drop.

I use Primary Arms SLx 1-6x24 Gen III illuminated ACSS ON 11.5 / 5.56.
With the eyes on the way down I can see pretty well to 300 yards.
Hits depend on how clear my eyes are on a given day (if you know what I mean) and if it’s a good shooting day for me, again you know what I mean.

Back