testtest

Know Your Gun’s Carry Condition

Have a blessed Easter .

Thanks. You as well. :)

My mother is really bummed out. She enjoys having the family over, cooking a big Easter dinner and all that. My folks are 80-ish and my sister and I have had them quarantined for close to a month now. There will be no big, family Easter dinner today. We are however going by their house with some poster board signs and flowers and such. Will communicate briefly through the screen door from the front yard and then later we will all Facetime. Better than nothing and certainly better than my elderly parents who are in poor health catching the virus.

What condition is your 1911 in if it has a round cycled into the chamber, hammer dropped forward or to "Half-Cocked" and safety disengaged?
My 1911 can't be carried in that condition. When my hammer is pushed forward the safety is automatically engaged.
When my safety is released the hammer resets to the rear. The fully cocked position. That's the advantage
of the SFS modification. Pistol is carried in Condition 1 with the hammer forward.

Thanks. You as well. :)

My mother is really bummed out. She enjoys having the family over, cooking a big Easter dinner and all that. My folks are 80-ish and my sister and I have had them quarantined for close to a month now. There will be no big, family Easter dinner today. We are however going by their house with some poster board signs and flowers and such. Will communicate briefly through the screen door from the front yard and then later we will all Facetime. Better than nothing and certainly better than my elderly parents who are in poor health catching the virus.
Wife and I are pushing that same age. Our kids, grandkids and great grandkids coming by tomorrow as it's supposed to rain today. We ordered most of their Easter online and the wife made baskets. We too will do the hollering back and forth. Beats getting sick for sure.

Last edited:
My 1911 can't be carried in that condition. When my hammer is pushed forward the safety is automatically engaged.
When my safety is released the hammer resets to the rear. The fully cocked position. That's the advantage
of the SFS modification. Pistol is carried in Condition 1 with the hammer forward.

I rarely carry a 1911 these days. Too many excellent reasons to carry something else.

So you think carrying with one in the chamber and the hammer in half cocked position is more dangerous than carrying with one in the chamber and the hammer cocked? Interesting.

Absolutely.

First off, you greatly increase the chance of an unintended discharge when manipulating the hammer, both in decocking it (should the thumb slip off the spur, allowing it to fall completely) or, in the drawstroke (same)...as well as taking the chance that the half-cock notch will hold on the hammer, particularly if dropped on it...or if it simply slips off on it’s own with enough force to detonate the primer.

Whereas, in condition 1, all you do is safe the pistol, and you are good to go.

I acknowledge that some people will carry their 1911 condition zero (usually achieved by by taking it off safe after holstering)...and I’d still consider that safer, with the caveat that it requires a proper holster in good condition.

Absolutely.

First off, you greatly increase the chance of an unintended discharge when manipulating the hammer, both in decocking it (should the thumb slip off the spur, allowing it to fall completely) or, in the drawstroke (same)...as well as taking the chance that the half-**** notch will hold on the hammer, particularly if dropped on it...or if it simply slips off on it’s own with enough force to detonate the primer.

Whereas, in condition 1, all you do is safe the pistol, and you are good to go.

I acknowledge that some people will carry their 1911 condition zero (usually achieved by by taking it off safe after holstering)...and I’d still consider that safer, with the caveat that it requires a proper holster in good condition.
Good points.

So you think carrying with one in the chamber and the hammer in half cocked position is more dangerous than carrying with one in the chamber and the hammer cocked? Interesting.
Just talking points here, and in a carry/defensive side of things. Carrying half cocked is a safety feature. If you have your hammer half cocked and you pull the trigger it will not fire, not enough inertia to strike the firing pin. That being said carrying with the hammer fully cocked and safety on, when you draw knock the safety off and fire. Vs draw, knock the safety off and pull the hammer the rest of the way back which, if time is an issue this could present a problem. The short of it is the half cock is not designed to be carried as a “safety”.

Just talking points here, and in a carry/defensive side of things. Carrying half cocked is a safety feature. If you have your hammer half cocked and you pull the trigger it will not fire, not enough inertia to strike the firing pin. That being said carrying with the hammer fully cocked and safety on, when you draw knock the safety off and fire. Vs draw, knock the safety off and pull the hammer the rest of the way back which, if time is an issue this could present a problem. The short of it is the half **** is not designed to be carried as a “safety”.

Check out the SFS for a 1911..... Round chambered, Fully cocked, Hammer forward, safety on.
Available for Series 70 or 80
https://bhspringsolutions.com/index.php/product/essential-fast-safety-sfs-v2-0-for-1911s-series-70/
Quick Demo

Just talking points here, and in a carry/defensive side of things. Carrying half cocked is a safety feature. If you have your hammer half cocked and you pull the trigger it will not fire, not enough inertia to strike the firing pin. That being said carrying with the hammer fully cocked and safety on, when you draw knock the safety off and fire. Vs draw, knock the safety off and pull the hammer the rest of the way back which, if time is an issue this could present a problem. The short of it is the half **** is not designed to be carried as a “safety”.

The safety will not engage unless the hammer is fully cocked. I understand the safety hazard with pulling the hammer back. A point I hadn't considered much. Went to the safe and it's cocked and locked now. :cool:

Back