testtest

Laser Sights: Red vs. Green

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
Interesting article. I for one prefer Green as I can pick it up better in most light conditions. It's one reason I put the Crimson Trace Green laser sidesaddles on my Mossberg 590-M Shockwave and Remington Tac14-DM. Now I should be able to shoot more accurately from the hip (I hope ;)).

!

I've been looking at the sidesaddle setups for my Mossberg 12ga, but I have a question - I'm left-eyed, so my left hand is on the trigger. I've looked at their lit, and their descriptions, and they SAY "ambidextrous use"...but for the life of me I can't figure out how a lefty would make those work. Any thoughts?

I loveloveLOVE my green lasers on my EDC pistols - visibility is amazing, even in broad daylight. Also, they may possibly be more covert to the general public, since "movie knowledge" tells all the sheeple that laser sights are always red...so if an EDC (or home defense shotgun) had to be used with a green laser, it may not cue a bad actor that "someone's aiming a gun at me".

I've been looking at the sidesaddle setups for my Mossberg 12ga, but I have a question - I'm left-eyed, so my left hand is on the trigger. I've looked at their lit, and their descriptions, and they SAY "ambidextrous use"...but for the life of me I can't figure out how a lefty would make those work. Any thoughts?

I loveloveLOVE my green lasers on my EDC pistols - visibility is amazing, even in broad daylight. Also, they may possibly be more covert to the general public, since "movie knowledge" tells all the sheeple that laser sights are always red...so if an EDC (or home defense shotgun) had to be used with a green laser, it may not cue a bad actor that "someone's aiming a gun at me".
Good question Peglegjoe. I believe that the CT Laser Saddle would still be mounted on the right side of the Shockwave (or Tac 14). It looks like in the article linked below, the ambidextrous claim is for one of the 3 activation points after you turn the master switch on (diagram of these points and more are include in the article linked below). If you're shooting from your left hip, as long as you don't disrupt the beam, it should work for left handed people as well as right handed folks. Racking the Shockwave / Tac 14 using their strap (Shockwave) or magpul forend (Tac 14), with your right hand, should travel under the beam.
This is just my thoughts, and I would suggest a call to Crimson Trace (CT) customer service and ask about your concern(s). I called them for their free batteries for life program (comes when you buy CT lasers, and other products requiring batteries.), and they were extremely helpful and friendly.
I watched a few videos of people shooting with the CT laser Sidesaddle, and it was point and shoot making it easier and accurate to shot from the hip

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll definitely check the link when I get home. The point-shoot reason is why I have lasers on my EDCs, because in the midst of it all you just never know if you will be able to get a traditional sight picture or not.

Thanks, I'll definitely check the link when I get home. The point-shoot reason is why I have lasers on my EDCs, because in the midst of it all you just never know if you will be able to get a traditional sight picture or not.
Agreed (y)

Approaching laser sights analytically, I cannot discern their utility. Since 90+% of gunfights are at distances of <10', my response would be point shooting while hightailing it for a barrier or, much better, outta the county. I wouldn't want to be distracted by activating a laser aiming device.

When I was introduced to close distance point shooting while moving to cover, I was skeptical. I had it wired by my second go around. I easily passed that component of mandated firearms training.

It is a potentially life saving strategy to get the holy heck outta the sight picture of a psychopath whose intent is to reduce you to evidence and autopsied the following morning. I'd rather go mobile than vertical.

Be a live witness. Dead heroes are soon forgotten.

Back