testtest

Latest from The Sheriff

TidalWave

Professional
One outstanding point:
Avoid teaching Triggernometry to newbies or those with no intention of diving deep.

“They don’t need to know all about firearms, but they do need to know how their particular gun works, loading and unloading, and how to disassemble for cleaning and, of course, safe handling procedures relative to that particular type of handgun.”

That's so true. Not so much on places like this, but elsewhere on the net and in personal interaction. Usually the "Gun guy" who is spouting the dissertation is one of those " I know everything" guys and in any case he immediately and purposely shifts the focus from the new shooter to himself and all his infinite wisdom.

1659014440640.png

That's so true. Not so much on places like this, but elsewhere on the net and in personal interaction. Usually the "Gun guy" who is spouting the dissertation is one of those " I know everything" guys and in any case he immediately and purposely shifts the focus from the new shooter to himself and all his infinite wisdom.
👆 Amen 👆

My first CCW class not long ago was all about techniques & tactics. Taught by a youngish SWAT/SEAL wannabe type guy (imho). He glossed over legalities & responsibilities pretty quick. Did hit on Safety, i was glad to see.

Paid $80 again and took it from an older, retired teacher (and PD auxiliary). He followed the ‘approved’ instruction outline and also hit on a good 2A overview. Then when it came time to handle & shoot, he and his son worked with each person (esp the ‘newcomers’) on THEIR firearm and at THEIR comfort/experience level. Made a big difference, I could tell. Even offered to meet anyone at the range later (but within 30 days) for a free hour or two if they felt they needed. “Just give me a couple days notice…”

I hated to pay twice but just wasn’t comfortable everything had been covered, with that kid. It wasn’t “guns, shooting and moving” I needed, it was the particulars of CC that I didn’t know.

👆 Amen 👆

My first CCW class not long ago was all about techniques & tactics. Taught by a youngish SWAT/SEAL wannabe type guy (imho). He glossed over legalities & responsibilities pretty quick. Did hit on Safety, i was glad to see.

Paid $80 again and took it from an older, retired teacher (and PD auxiliary). He followed the ‘approved’ instruction outline and also hit on a good 2A overview. Then when it came time to handle & shoot, he and his son worked with each person (esp the ‘newcomers’) on THEIR firearm and at THEIR comfort/experience level. Made a big difference, I could tell. Even offered to meet anyone at the range later (but within 30 days) for a free hour or two if they felt they needed. “Just give me a couple days notice…”

I hated to pay twice but just wasn’t comfortable everything had been covered, with that kid. It wasn’t “guns, shooting and moving” I needed, it was the particulars of CC that I didn’t know.
Sounds like he should be, or wanted to be, teaching an advanced CC/handgun class.

Here's a PSA that probably nobody here needs to know, but having multiple advanced small arms/handgun, CCW classes under your belt doesn't qualify you automatically for a CCW permit. I asked my instructor about this. I let my permit expire after my state went CC. At this point I have taken about 12 or 15 advanced CCW classes with him and out of curiosity I asked him if he would sign off if I decided to renew my permit. He said nope. Primary focus in his CCW permit class is safe gun handling, maintenance, basic marksmanship and the most time is spent on legal description of the law. What you can and can't do, when it is appropriate to use force, what to do before during and after a use of force incident, etc.. He emphasized the legal stuff and said THAT is why I will make you take the class. He offered to let me in one for free though. I however have no intention of renewing my permit. I was just curious.

👆 Amen 👆

Went through a renewal class with “that guy”. Felt sorry for those just getting their feet wet in carrying. I spent a good hour explaining things to my buddy who isn’t a gun person, with the admonition that there’s a lot to still learn.

Back