testtest

Lead exposure ??

TidalWave

Professional
In the thread “Got my CCW today..!” I saw where the topic of Lead and health came up. Indoor ranges, pos/neg air pressure, hand wipes, etc etc were all mentioned.
Quest: is the health issue respiratory, skin absorption related, or both ? Whats worse?
Several mentioned telling their doc and getting ‘tested’ what are your docs telling you back ?!?

I shoot outdoors only as of 2 yrs ago, and mostly wear nitrile or other ( hosp or food service style) glove when cleaning…

In the thread “Got my CCW today..!” I saw where the topic of Lead and health came up. Indoor ranges, pos/neg air pressure, hand wipes, etc etc were all mentioned.
Quest: is the health issue respiratory, skin absorption related, or both ? Whats worse?
Several mentioned telling their doc and getting ‘tested’ what are your docs telling you back ?!?

I shoot outdoors only as of 2 yrs ago, and mostly wear nitrile or other ( hosp or food service style) glove when cleaning…
( almost forgot - Who do I sue ?!?)
💵 💵 💵 💸
😇😇😇😇😇

I was tested several times over the years, I shot mostly outdoors, but did cast bullets, reloaded lead bullets, used lead sinkers that you bit down on for them to stay in place. Never was told if my levels were to elevated, but I always took caution, washed my hands before eating and such, I never spassed out over it, doesn’t hurt to be cautious, just don’t go bonkers worrying over it.

Can be both inhalation and absorption through ingestion. Possibly and likely skin absorption too. Is a heavy metal like Mercury. Goes into bloodstream and then into other parts of body. Rubberized gloves usually help. Same as for washing exposed skin afterwards helping. Kids are more prone or at risk than adults because they're growing at a faster rate.

Like Anni said don't get spazzed about it, just take simple precautions. Wash thoughly after handling lead is usually about all. Good, bad or whatever, had about same experience as Anni with lead over the years. Lot of kids did. Even cast toy soldiers out of lead as a kid to paint later on. Is, was typical to close split lead sinkers with teeth too. Never remember an inclination to eat any though. Sanding and grinding off old lead based paint is different than shooting a few dozen or so bullets dust and debris wise, use a respirator or a good mask for paint removal. It's the lead dust that seems to be the worst.

When I was a contractor I did literally thousands of replacement windows. During the Obama administration, right after Obamacare was shoved down our throats, a massive lead remediation bill was passed. Any house built before 1978 was subject to these rules. The remediation protocol for replacing windows in houses built before 1978 is extensive. All doorways have to be fully blocked off with special mil-plastic, all surfaces in the room and for 5' on the exterior have to be covered in plastic, Tyvec suits and head coverings or respirators must be used. When finished all this plastic has to be carefully folded into itself and placed in special bags, which are really just clear contractor bags with lead warnings on them, which are only available through special outlets and are ridiculously expensive. Those bags are sealed then placed in another bag. Then you just take them to the dump. Any old dump. That right there tells you what the true purpose is. Furthermore, one person on the job ( in my case, being self employed that meant me and at least one of my carpenters) had to be lead remediation certified. Which is to say you have to go take a near useless class and then pay the government ( at the time) $350. And there is an annual fee to remain certified.

Of course not all homes built before 1978 have lead paint on the windows so there is an out. You have to scrape a paint chip from the sill, the top of the frame and each side of the frame. That's 4 chips per window, each one has to be tested for lead. At the time the cost of the test was $25. So all the extra labor and expense or an extra $100 per window and several week wait time to insure no lead paint had to be added to each window job.

Incidentally a significant portion of the money spent to comply with this law is earmarked for funding the ACA. Shocker.

I live in the lead belt. The largest lead smelter in the country and the largest lead mine in the country are both a short drive from my house. I live on the Big River. As in my backyard literally ends on the river bank. The smelters dumped tailings in this river for over a century. As a result a superfund was set up and people in the "Affected areas" were given the opportunity to have their ground and their water tested. They found lead in the soil on my river bank, but not dangerous levels. They claimed they would come and remove it and replace it with topsoil ( which is an asinine idea for many reasons), but they never did. They also found lead in my water ( I am on a private well), but again, in amounts that are not dangerous except possibly to small children. Anyway, rather than hook me up with a whole house filter they have been giving me as many 5 gallon bottles of water from Culligan as I want for the last 10 years. I put a whole house filter in years ago along with a softener and secondary osmosis filters on the kitchen sink and the refrigerator. I still get the bottled water though. Which I give to my brother in law across the street and to my daughter 7 houses down. Their wells suck and I would never drink the water out of them. This is the stupidity of the federal government.

All this to say that the lead poisoning "Epidemic" is vastly overblown. How many of us have been making our own sinkers and .50 caliber maxi balls for decades and decades and managing to live to a ripe old age ? I probably have 4000 lbs of lead billet in the garage across the street. I think worrying about lead poisoning from modern indoor gun ranges, or worrying about handling ammo ( most of which is jacketed these days anyway, no ? ) Unless you are a child between the ages of 1-3 who likes to put things in your mouth I don't think I would worry too much about it.

yeah, that was me that started that thread.

i was "just concerned", after a years worth of range trips, and frankly never even gave lead positioning any thought(s)....

until....

i joined a new, private gun club, and the orientation guy said, "do not sweep the shell casings, instead use a caged roller, that picks them up, as this keeps the lead dust down"..

then i got to thinking, at the public range i got to (where i am a member there as well), i sweep up my brass, for future reloading, and i was never told not to sweep (actually they have mops, not brooms)

this is what "sparked" me to get tested for lead.

but as @Bassbob mentioned about homes built before the (1970's or earlier) my house was built in 1860......so i have lead drinking water pipes (recently the main was switched over to copper) and LOTS of asbestos.......

so i guess i got more metals, (lead) in me than Lake Michigan

Back