testtest

Leather Holster Building Basics - Holster building - 101

BobM

Hellcat
A good and interesting article on the 101 basic guide of building a leather holster. Even if a person has little to no desire to build a leather holster, it may be helpful in knowing what processes it can take to build one. Keep in mind, there's almost always different and various, good and better methods to building most things, holsters included and this is only one of many methods. This article is a step by step process with many pics to help visually guide a person along the way. I found leather working to be enjoyable and practical. Keeping goal in mind, having good quality proper or appropriate tools and learning or remembering to improvise with good tools can help greatly. There's many other tricks than what's shown in this basic, but good article.

NOTE:
Found that wrapping handgun in plastic wrap or plastic bag can help keep moisture away from gun or gunform and can aid in a better fitting holster.

I admire those with good leather making skills. I have made knives for 40 years darn near and my sheaths suck, plain and simple. They are functional, but pretty much look like they were made by a drunk 12 year old.

The knives I am ok with but not my leather work..

Being functional is a good thing and a good start with most anything. Possibly using different tools or methods may help out on the sheaths?

Being functional is a good thing and a good start with most anything. Possibly using different tools or methods may help out on the sheaths?
I think it's a matter of interest also. The knives themselves fascinate me, obcess me, they always have, ever since I cut myself sharpening a butter knife when I was like 5, lol should have seen my grandma.

Anyways, the sheath is kind of an afterthought I guess. I really need to take more time and patience. Everyone else says they are decent. I just do not see it lol.

Last edited:
I think it's a matter of interest also. The knives themselves fascinate me, obcess me, they always have, ever since I cut myself sharpening a butter knife when I was like 5, lol should have seen my grandma.

Anyways, the sheath is kind of an afterthought I guess. I really need to take more time and patience. Everyone else says they are decent. I just do not see it lol.

Sld, Am guessing much of making anything is desire on knives, sheaths, guns or whatevers'? Am sure you take much pride in your work like many others do. But, sometimes along with making things, the maker may also see some of the flaws as well? It can happen. The flaws as some may call them others can see them differently and may add a great character to the item? Real beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Besides, perfection isn't always what it's cracked up to being either?

Sometimes, it may be better to let others judge a makers wares? Having made many things over the years, besides the traditional accompanying messes, most turned out well, but there's also some wishing some would've turned out better. Am supposing many other makers of things feel similar at times? An understanding of a materials characteristics and properties of any material to make something out of it can take some time to figure out and sometimes master as well? I'm far from a master at anything except sometimes lame jokes. Am always a student.

Sld, Am guessing much of making anything is desire on knives, sheaths, guns or whatevers'? Am sure you take much pride in your work like many others do. But, sometimes along with making things, the maker may also see some of the flaws as well? It can happen. The flaws as some may call them others can see them differently and may add a great character to the item? Real beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Besides, perfection isn't always what it's cracked up to being either?

Sometimes, it may be better to let others judge a makers wares? Having made many things over the years, besides the traditional accompanying messes, most turned out well, but there's also some wishing some would've turned out better. Am supposing many other makers of things feel similar at times? An understanding of a materials characteristics and properties of any material to make something out of it can take some time to figure out and sometimes master as well? I'm far from a master at anything except sometimes lame jokes. Am always a student.
My wife always tells me that I am way to critical of what I do. I do however wish I could get my hands upon the dozens of knives and sheaths I have given away over the years, have never sold a knife always given or traded them away. Just for a day or two lol.

My wife always tells me that I am way to critical of what I do. I do however wish I could get my hands upon the dozens of knives and sheaths I have given away over the years, have never sold a knife always given or traded them away. Just for a day or two lol.

Smart wife, sounds like she's a keeper!

Lol, am damn lucky she has stuck around for 43 years. Damn lucky...

A bit picky? Possibly there was a porcupine in the family tree? :)

North American porcupine | Smithsonian's National Zoo

I admire those with good leather making skills. I have made knives for 40 years darn near and my sheaths suck, plain and simple. They are functional, but pretty much look like they were made by a drunk 12 year old.

The knives I am ok with but not my leather work..
You right! My family figured out recently that my grandad was making stuff from leather. Sheath and pouches. And his wife was sewing bags and gloves from leather. So my mother is inspired by this and bought a sewing machine for leather and now learning to sew the stuff.

Back