testtest

Leather holster question

I knew this would be the place to ask this so if anyone has any tips, I'd very much appreciate it. I have a new holster on the way for my Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 45. It's a leather, OWB holster with a mag pouch. I've never really been a fan of leather holsters, always went with my trusty Uncle Mike's holsters for the most part but this one looks very well rated and looks very comfortable, it's a Versa Carry Commander or something to that effect. What's the best way to get a leather holster broke in as far as making it more comfortable and conforming it to the weapon? Realistically, I carry concealed on the weekends, mainly because during the week, I'm pretty much a drive to work then right back home kind of guy. I'm busy on the weekends so I do carry my weapon everywhere I go on the weekend but I think it would take a long time to break in the holster just wearing it a couple of days a week. Any tips from anyone who uses a leather holster on a regular basis?

I knew this would be the place to ask this so if anyone has any tips, I'd very much appreciate it. I have a new holster on the way for my Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 45. It's a leather, OWB holster with a mag pouch. I've never really been a fan of leather holsters, always went with my trusty Uncle Mike's holsters for the most part but this one looks very well rated and looks very comfortable, it's a Versa Carry Commander or something to that effect. What's the best way to get a leather holster broke in as far as making it more comfortable and conforming it to the weapon? Realistically, I carry concealed on the weekends, mainly because during the week, I'm pretty much a drive to work then right back home kind of guy. I'm busy on the weekends so I do carry my weapon everywhere I go on the weekend but I think it would take a long time to break in the holster just wearing it a couple of days a week. Any tips from anyone who uses a leather holster on a regular basis?
I've been looking at 1791 gunleather. I have seen some nice quality leather holsters posted on here(this site). Not sure where or who had posted them? I prefer a drop or leg holster, but can't open cary like that in Texas!

I've been looking at 1791 gunleather. I have seen some nice quality leather holsters posted on here(this site). Not sure where or who had posted them? I prefer a drop or leg holster, but can't open cary like that in Texas!
You'd think Texas would be the place for any kind of carry.

I used Neatsfoot oil to condition and soften my leather holsters and saddle soap to clean them inside and out unless it has a liner then just Neatsfoot oil. It will not make the holster lose its retention ability .

I used Neatsfoot oil to condition and soften my leather holsters and saddle soap to clean them inside and out unless it has a liner then just Neatsfoot oil. It will not make the holster lose its retention ability .
Do you just rub the oil into the holster and let it dry out or something like that?

My opinion is DO NOT put a leather conditioner on your leather holster. In fact all the leather holsters I have purchased come with instructions to NOT use leather conditioning products.
If your gun fits snug or (tight)
“check your draw” if you attempt to draw your gun and you pull your pants up before it clears the holster it’s to snug.
then you can put your
UNLOADED/UNLOADED gun in a heavy duty gallon sized zip lock bag and work your gun into the holster for about 12-24 hours. This will slightly stretch the leather for a better draw. Remember over time the holster will stretch on its own.
Don’t rush the process or you’ll end up with a retention problem. (To loose)
My 2 cents.

My opinion is DO NOT put a leather conditioner on your leather holster. In fact all the leather holsters I have purchased come with instructions to NOT use leather conditioning products.
If your gun fits snug or (tight)
“check your draw” if you attempt to draw your gun and you pull your pants up before it clears the holster it’s to snug.
then you can put your
UNLOADED/UNLOADED gun in a heavy duty gallon sized zip lock bag and work your gun into the holster for about 12-24 hours. This will slightly stretch the leather for a better draw. Remember over time the holster will stretch on its own.
Don’t rush the process or you’ll end up with a retention problem. (To loose)
My 2 cents.
Oh he who speaks the truth-great answer.

When your holster arrives, it may feel snug at first. Simply place your weapon in the holster and let it sit a few days.
Then start doing pistol presentations. Holstering and drawing the weapon will help break it in.
DO NOT carry your weapon in the holster until it is broken in. If you need your gun to protect your life and can't get it out of the holster, it's gonna be a bad day.

Yea, just keep your gun in holster for few days , it will stretch to an extent, as for conditioning it, I never have on any of my leather holsters, but some people do, see what the instructions say that comes with it, or visit there web sight for information, so I can’t say yay or nay. All my holsters are leather, I don’t care for the polymer or nylon type myself.

Your not “supposed” to put any types of conditioners on leather holsters. I do, as I mentioned before, on rare occasions, and on the outside of the holster with.......
5025C84F-0FAD-45C4-82E1-2F26F9B16A3B.jpeg

I would recommend only buying a holster that has been fit specifically to your firearm. Also one that retention can be adjusted. It is important to follow exactly what the manufacturer suggests for care on the leather. You can ruin a leather holster pretty easily by using certain oils after cleaning which make the leather too soft. I have always carried Galco and I have never had an issue.

I would recommend only buying a holster that has been fit specifically to your firearm. Also one that retention can be adjusted. It is important to follow exactly what the manufacturer suggests for care on the leather. You can ruin a leather holster pretty easily by using certain oils after cleaning which make the leather too soft. I have always carried Galco and I have never had an issue.
I’ve used Galco holsters for years. They are plain but as you mentioned formed to the specific gun with great retention and a smooth draw. When dressing up I have some holsters by Tucker Gunleather, these are custom made with each one made specifically for the one gun intended.

Exactly, couldn’t have said it better myself. I have two 1791 products, both are a double mag pouch, one for my XD Mod2 40’s and the other for my Springfield 1911 45ACP mags. Both are very well made and beautiful leather made for a lifetime of use.

Back