testtest

Leather or Kydex

My favorite OWB holster ( Tier1 Kydex ):
E8C8BF72-CD09-4690-9CA6-B8390477A7E3.jpeg

My preference is leather
20220206_120256.jpg

I'm going to try to make this long story short. A few years ago I decided to invest in a quality leather holster. I went and asked a friend of mine who was a retired cop and who I knew carried every single day and (obviously) whose opinion I respected. He recommended Kramer Leather. He was also wearing his Kramer Leather holster when I asked him so I got a chance to look at it and I saw that it would suit my needs so I ordered one. Long story short I got it, I was satisfied with it and I decided to order two more so that I had a Kramer leather holster for all of my carry guns.

I know that there are other holster makers who make holsters as good or maybe better than Kramer but I'm satisfied with what I have so I quit looking.

20220211_122941.jpg

I have one Kydex holster (or whatever Safariland's proprietary plastic is) that I bought for work because I needed a retention holster. I generally use it for hiking.

1791 is my fav, which I found out about via this forum and a positive rec from member @ddeuce22 , iirc !

It has the same loops on both sides of the holster, so works for lefties, too. Canted forward on hip, front crossdraw, horizontal - about anything i personally would want. No larger than it needs to be (ballpoint pen for perspective). Mine are dark classic brown and distressed. Mine have a buddy named Ed; his last name is Brown, I believe? 😉
It’s a 1791 belt that I use exclusively for my carry belt.

Is that an El Paso Tanker
No
I think you or someone else asked earlier a few months ago.
Response is a reproduction WW2 holster from an article here on the SA forum from the Mods.
Got it on clearance for $20 with a bad snap

I just was reading about this DeSantis holster. Very interested in this one. I like the idea that it locks the firearm in.

I considered that holster also but was looking for OWB only so I went with the Mini Scabbard for the smaller concealable footprint and the adjustable retention screw. You can't go wrong with either one. I have 5 DeSantis holsters for different guns and they are all great products.

I have 3 types of holsters:
Kydex
Leather
Hybrid(leather backing, kydex shell

For smaller firearms S&W EZ 9mm or smaller, I prefer leather inside the pants(or a leather pocket holster if it's something smaller).

For medium or larger firearms I'll usually go with an outside the pants kydex or hybrid, holster.

I recently ordered a couple of holsters from Muddy River Tactical(1 kydex, 1 leather). I find myself wearing the leather inside the pants holster for my S&W EZ pretty darn often.

I like the retention of the Muddy River Tactical kydex holster for my Beretta APX(outside the pants), but sometimes my neck pain(12 screws in my neck, micro fracture surgery) make carrying the APX a little more painful than normal.

I have a Theis(Conway, Arkansas) hybrid holster(for a Sig SP2022) that the APX fits in perfectly. I sometimes will wear it over the Muddy River Tactical kydex holster.

I prefer carrying the APX over the EZ but it's just too painful sometimes. Hopefully once it gets a little warmer my neck pain won't be so bad and I'll go back to carrying the APX in an outside the pants holster...:)

Back