testtest

Less than lethal response

Not a chance its like the post a few months ago about rubber bullets.
If its come to it you don't pretend to shoot someone,after all the bad guy hasn't pretended to break into your home.Its your home and family and as you have the gun your responsibility to stop the threat quickly and safely as possible.

My hope is you were being funny about shooting kids but honestly not very funny or appropriate. My opinion.
Yes, it was a poor attempt at humor. The whole rock salt thing is something that we used to hear as kids growing up, mainly about the "crazy old man on the farm" who protected his fields/watermelon patch. Always wondered if there were actual loads for the shotgun.

Yes, it was a poor attempt at humor. The whole rock salt thing is something that we used to hear as kids growing up, mainly about the "crazy old man on the farm" who protected his fields/watermelon patch. Always wondered if there were actual loads for the shotgun.
I figured you were being tongue in cheek with your rock salt post. There's been a few movies and other references in the past where the crotchety old man is threatening kids or other trespasser's on his property with a shotgun loaded with rocksalt.

Not a chance its like the post a few months ago about rubber bullets.
If its come to it you don't pretend to shoot someone,after all the bad guy hasn't pretended to break into your home.Its your home and family and as you have the gun your responsibility to stop the threat quickly and safely as possible.
These less lethal rounds are only good for scaring away nuisance animals.

Up here in NH we are legally allowed to stop any animal aside from a legally protected species from killing or harassing any livestock with lethal force if necessary. Though I wouldn't want to kill a black bear trying to break into our chicken coop, I would attempt to dissuade it with a 12 gauge rubber baton round first.

That wouldn’t fly in today’s climate, kids just walking across a field causing no damage is not criminal.

Yeah, you can't even spank your kids these days without getting a visit from DFS.

Two points:

After the first time the old guy shot at me, every time I walked through his field I made sure it caused damage.

We all pretty much knew how he would react before we ever set out across the field, so we were not innocent.

When old man Potter died most of us went to his funeral. My mom always made sure to check in on his wife after that. Regardless of the rock salt, he was a beloved member of the community. When I got it the first time I told my old man and he said, " Well stay the hell out of his field dummy". No one ever for an instant thought the old man was doing anything wrong or criminal. We just thought he was a cranky old codge.

Different times for sure.

Yeah, you can't even spank your kids these days without getting a visit from DFS.

Two points:

After the first time the old guy shot at me, every time I walked through his field I made sure it caused damage.

We all pretty much knew how he would react before we ever set out across the field, so we were not innocent.

When old man Potter died most of us went to his funeral. My mom always made sure to check in on his wife after that. Regardless of the rock salt, he was a beloved member of the community. When I got it the first time I told my old man and he said, " Well stay the hell out of his field dummy". No one ever for an instant thought the old man was doing anything wrong or criminal. We just thought he was a cranky old codge.

Different times for sure.
A different time indeed....

My Dad told the story of how he was sitting on the porch of his Father-in-law's row house in New Jersey in the 1930's. They were discussing how my Grandfather's firewood pile seems to be shrinking somewhat faster than he was using the wood in the months coming up to Christmas.

Shortly after they moved on to another topic, there was a huge explosion 5 doors down and the windows blew out. My Grandfather calmly turned to my Father and stated (think Polish accented English) " I tink I know who shteal my fire vood."

My Grandfather had taken a few logs, drilled some holes, inserted some shotgun shells without the lead and placed the logs on top of the pile. No one said a word to him about it and the wood pile shrinkage magically stopped.

How nice would it be if we could fight crime like they did back then.

It's called 'trespassing' even today ...... and if the kids are hunting and/or carrying a firearm, it's called 'Armed Trespassing'. And yes, it is criminal.

Field doesn't even have to be marked or fenced in most states.
Be that as it may, that farmer would find himself in prison today. Unless he could somehow make a convincing case that he was in fear for his life from some kids cutting across one of his fields.

Be that as it may, that farmer would find himself in prison today. Unless he could somehow make a convincing case that he was in fear for his life from some kids cutting across one of his fields.
Oh yeh, for sure. I was addressing the assertion that crossing someone's fields wasn't criminal, not whether or not the farmer should shoot. Everywhere I've ever been aware of it would be trespassing, even armed trespassing. But it wasn't always a big concern and in years past land was more often than not left open to people. In fact in many years past even cattle ran wild/free over the state with not even a fence law in place. Today that just ain't the case and trespassing is considered a serious offense.

Way back when I was a kid, I could come home from school, change clothes, grab my shotgun and/or fishing gear and hike over several land owner's fields to the lakes that are now part of Disney World in about 2 1/2 hrs, hunting/shooting all the way whatever was in season. Would often make camp on the banks of those lakes and fish, run trot lines or set hooks all weekend, and not one landowner between home and the lakes cared whether we crossed their properties or not. Today even walking on your neighbor's front lawn is technically trespassing and will often be enforced.

'Course back then we all carried a pocket full of fence staples with us and if we found a strand of wire down, we'd nail it back up. Or if we found a gate/gap left open, we'd close it. The farmers and ranchers back then knew we would take care of their property instead of tearing it up like some do today.

Rip roaring through pastures, farming land with their big 4X4's, ATV's, UTV's, etc, leaving tracks from doing donuts, etc. Running through fences and tearing them down letting hundreds of cattle mix from one herd to another. All the bad and reckless things kids/people will sometimes do.

These are examples of what has caused all the trespassing laws to be tightened and enforced over time. I don't blame the land owners anymore for their change in attitudes about their land/fields regarding trespassing. But I hate it because it prevents today's good kids from enjoying so much of the outdoors due to so much of it being posted today.

Jus' sayin' !!!

Some of them stories are true, I will attest to that. When I was a young teen 50ish years ago, a few of us used to occasionally raid gardens in the dark of night. Have in fact been shot at, and have caught some pellets in my back and backside. I can tell you, it hurts like hell but it also tells you which gardens NOT to raid again. Its a different world now. If You'd a called the law cuz Old McDonald shot you in the ass for raiding his garden, they'd throw you in jail for stealing his veggies.

Back