testtest

Let's talk 300 BLK twist rates

Its a great hog round. Recoil isnt bad at all. Smidge more than a 5.56 in my opinion. Brings down hogs effectively except for the larger ones where it takes lots of rounds. We have had prob a dozen large hogs take 4+ rounds of .300 BO and keep running.
I haven't had the opportunity to shoot hogs before especially in my area as the only hogs around here are on farms and the local farmers get pretty pi$$ed off when you try and hunt their live stock.

What I like about a .300 BO vs a .308 is weight savings.

The .300 BO rifle being a 5.56 platform style is way less rifle weight to lug around hunting / plinking vs the Saint .308.

What I like about a .300 BO vs a .308 is weight savings.

The .300 BO rifle being a 5.56 platform style is way less rifle weight to lug around hunting / plinking vs the Saint .308.
The only issue with .300blk vs .308 is that since COVID .300blk ammo has been mostly higher priced than .308 and more scarce on the market.

I keep a good supply of every caliber I shoot on hand so I wasn't affected too much during the ammo shortage and I've been building up my supply of 220gr bullets, powder, brass and primers for cost saving subsonic reloads.

I've seen some really easy methods online for converting 5.56 cases to .300blk and I may invest in the tools to do it myself at some point.

Magpul makes .300 specific magazines to accommodate longer bullets, as I understand.
You are correct. When I had AR’s in both chambering’s 5.56 and .300Bl
I had the mags made specifically for both and marked them with a wrap of different color tape as well as the rubber bands that are made with different markings for different rounds.

Yah. Supersonic and subsonic confusion. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You should also remember that my response wasn't based on any actual experience I have, as I have none with 300 BLK. Nor am I particularly knowledgeable about ARs in comparison to 10mm, Hans, KF and others here. Rather I was simply regurgitating shite I have read. :)
Not to sound like I'm picking on you but I'll add some more clarification. So subsonic rounds are, in this case, heavier rounds that don't break the sound barrier. As I understand it, this is typically 190+ grain when talking about 300 AAC (blackout, BLK, all the same). Being heavier, the rounds need more stabilization because they are traveling slower.
It's basic ballistics and rifle twist is all. :)

Can’t see how a .300 would chamber in a 5.56…it’d stop as soon as the bullet the shoulder in the chamber. Bullet would set back, sure, but powder shouldn’t compress enough to allow the bolt to close.

I could see the opposite being more likely—a 5.56 in a .300–but that’s just going to blow the brass out, and maybe cause a baffle strike if using a suppressor…
It will for sure or at least in the 3 I have! It's a shorter case with shoulder being .367" shorter. With 190 and heavier I haven't tried chambering.

Its a great hog round. Recoil isnt bad at all. Smidge more than a 5.56 in my opinion. Brings down hogs effectively except for the larger ones where it takes lots of rounds. We have had prob a dozen large hogs take 4+ rounds of .300 BO and keep running.

Edit: the beast the other night took 6 rounds of .300 BO before he dropped.
Was it "Ultimate Hog Hammer" ammo :unsure: ? If so send it back!

Back