testtest

Lever rifle for SD

TidalWave

Professional
I like lever rifles.
They’re kinda like revolvers are to the pistol world, to me anyway.
I dunno about tricking one out with a bunch of stuff or whatever - mine’s a plain ol Marlin 336.

Why does everything have to be a "self defense" weapon now? Lever guns are great for short-range hunting and I have a .45/70 brush gun for places where there be big bear, why can't we just leave it at that? There are weapons suited for self defense and a lever gun is not once of them. The fewer things you have to think about in a self-defense situation the better, and I don't see how operating a lever gun is a smart move that way. Then consider reloading a box magazine vs a round-by-round reload into a tubular magazine. I think this guy was low on article ideas before his deadline and pulled something silly out of his hind end.

Why does everything have to be a "self defense" weapon now? Lever guns are great for short-range hunting and I have a .45/70 brush gun for places where there be big bear, why can't we just leave it at that? There are weapons suited for self defense and a lever gun is not once of them. The fewer things you have to think about in a self-defense situation the better, and I don't see how operating a lever gun is a smart move that way. Then consider reloading a box magazine vs a round-by-round reload into a tubular magazine. I think this guy was low on article ideas before his deadline and pulled something silly out of his hind end.
There are places and time where it's a better bet due to legal reasons. California may be a good example due to their restrictions such as magazine capacity.

Just like everything else, everyone has an opinion, even if they forget that it is just thier opinion and state it as fact.

I have no problem using levers for defence uses. Have shot them for 40 years and am perfectly comfortable with them. Best way to reload is to top off mag every chance you get. A bandleader is ok, but it's easier to load from a pouch.

In my opinion.

Last edited:
As far as a lever rifle being a good self defense weapon, watch some westerns.. Just kidding but seriously I think a lot of "gun writers' are having a really hard time finding quality pertinent ways and subjects to write about. Take reloading for example .Most say ' cant find ammo well then reload'. Great idea but primers are a lot more difficult to find than loaded ammo and has been for a while . Not sure what their lead time is but I agree that almost everything to do with firearms now has to be for self defense.

I started to say something similar, Lol, but I left it to just doubts about tricking one out…
But they’re handy, whatever the purpose.

Oh I love lever guns. They're fantastic for many things. I just don't think I could see myself with a red dot and a bunch of "tactical" crap on one, stalking around corners to deal with intruders.
Concur….
Sooner or later I expect to read where some damfool put G10 grips and some kinda red dot or laser aimer on their baseball bat.
They’ll prob write an article about it, and how it legally sidesteps ATF issues or something.

Concur….
Sooner or later I expect to read where some damfool put G10 grips and some kinda red dot or laser aimer on their baseball bat.
They’ll prob write an article about it, and how it legally sidesteps ATF issues or something.
I knew I should have put a red dot on my tactical bat....🤪

Screenshot_20211221-131711_Firefox~2.jpg

I like lever rifles.
They’re kinda like revolvers are to the pistol world, to me anyway.
I dunno about tricking one out with a bunch of stuff or whatever - mine’s a plain ol Marlin 336.

What year did you buy your 336?

Why does everything have to be a "self defense" weapon now?
It doesn't have to be, but that seems to be the subject of this thread, so there's that....

I've never owned a lever rifle except for a .22 I gave my Dad, 'cause he liked "western guns" (it's now with my son). A lever wouldn't be my first choice for home defense, but I can think of a number of things I'd LESS rather have. I could make it work if I had to. Hell, pilgrim, John Wayne seemed to ride the river okay with 'em. ;):LOL:

As far as a lever rifle being a good self defense weapon, watch some westerns.. Just kidding but seriously I think a lot of "gun writers' are having a really hard time finding quality pertinent ways and subjects to write about. Take reloading for example .Most say ' cant find ammo well then reload'. Great idea but primers are a lot more difficult to find than loaded ammo and has been for a while . Not sure what their lead time is but I agree that almost everything to do with firearms now has to be for self defense.
I agree and I blame the industry really. I genuinely wonder if we've reached the peak with current technology. There are no new ideas out there.

For example, an interesting gun that is out there is the lever action shotgun... That dates back to John Moses Browning inventing it (sort of unwillingly) for Winchester

Back