Most every thing said here is true to some extent, but there's also another completely different story. What I'm about to write is not a slam towards anyone, and are generalities of my family alone. Not necessarily my immediate family, they're all gone now, but in general my extended family of nieces, nephews, 2nd and 3rd cousins, etc.
Almost all of them have the same complaints and stories, but when you look at them from outside what you see is young adult people, some still living at home, some with no jobs and not trying to find one (it would interfere with the time they can spend bitching), but all that I'm referring to are of the same mindset. Now understand, not all my extended family are this way, but the ones that constantly complain about the world we're leaving them, are!
When you look really close you'll find some have 3 or 4 cell phone contracts so they can play on one, do social media on one, and use one for other uses. I'm not talking about phones several years old like mine are, but these same people will stand in a line around a city block for hours to be first in line to buy the newest, latest model there is with all the new gadgets and features, when the ones they're using right now are sometimes less than a year old. Then some of them are buying new vehicles with a monthly payment more than my first home cost me. And there were houses back then that cost that much, I just chose to live within my means and bought a house with a little less than $600 monthly payments.
And I remember actually saying to my dad once when he was giving me a lot of grief about buying such an expensive house ... well yes, it's more costly than your first house, but that was in the 1950's. That would have been in the early 70's that I bought mine and remember thinking how much easier it must have been for my folks. And there were cars back then that cost far more than my car cost too, but again I chose what I could reasonably afford, not necessarily what I wanted to show off with to my friends. I also have some kin that take regular vacations and they (one in particular) that hasn't held a job since I can remember.
What I'm saying here is there are lots of those who complain that have brought it on themselves. Not all, but it's been my experience that the ones who ***** the most are the ones I've described here. Now maybe I'm a little bias, because I've worked hard all my life and never looked to anybody for anything. I sometimes worked more than pne job to make ends meet, sometimes I had to do a little wheelin' and dealin', but I always found a legal and respectful way to protect my family, provide for them, saw to it they had a warm, dry bed to sleep in every night, and never went hungry. There might have been times I went a little shy, but I saw to it they didn't. Now I'm not tryin' to blow my own horn, I suspect that most on this forum are very similar in their general ways and methods. It can be done yet today too. Yes, it may be some harder today than 40 years ago, but it ain't impossible. I know that because of the part of my family that has done it and are doing it everyday with their families.
OK, I'm done. Sorry for the rant but it really gets to me sometime. Apologies if I've offended anyone here. If I have I would be surprised, as I said earlier that most on this and similar forums are generally upstanding folks. And that's all it takes is to stand up and do the right thing!
I know not all young folks are like this, but it's the ones like this that are the ones constantly complaining. I personally have shown some of my family members how they could save lots and lots of dollars easily, but none, or at least most don't want to hear it. And it's these who make the most noise about the cost of living.