testtest

Little guns with big toys

Shibadog

Master Class
I’ve got to admit-I just don’t get the whole micro pistol with add on’s thing. Saw a little glock (no idea of model # as I don’t like ‘em and pay little attention to them) at the LGS the other day with a fair size red dot on top and a big light underneath. (And yes, I know red dots help target acquisition and some are big fans of gun mounted lights). Net result was a “micro” that was physically larger than a compact. Now I’m an old fart who’s been around the block a LONG time ago, but I’ve always been able to shoot a little larger platform more accurately/easily than a smaller one-and the folks I’ve shot with over the years are pretty much the same way. I know for a fact that it’s a lot easier to get hits with my 5” 1911 than with my EMP. And a lot easier with the EMP than my 938 Sig. I can shoot them all “well” but groups are tighter and timed shots quicker with the larger platforms. I just fail to see the advantages of a tacticool little gun over just using a larger platform to start with. To ME it just makes more sense to get a pistol that’s easier to hit with from the start. YMMV

I’ve got to admit-I just don’t get the whole micro pistol with add on’s thing. Saw a little glock (no idea of model # as I don’t like ‘em and pay little attention to them) at the LGS the other day with a fair size red dot on top and a big light underneath. (And yes, I know red dots help target acquisition and some are big fans of gun mounted lights). Net result was a “micro” that was physically larger than a compact. Now I’m an old fart who’s been around the block a LONG time ago, but I’ve always been able to shoot a little larger platform more accurately/easily than a smaller one-and the folks I’ve shot with over the years are pretty much the same way. I know for a fact that it’s a lot easier to get hits with my 5” 1911 than with my EMP. And a lot easier with the EMP than my 938 Sig. I can shoot them all “well” but groups are tighter and timed shots quicker with the larger platforms. I just fail to see the advantages of a tacticool little gun over just using a larger platform to start with. To ME it just makes more sense to get a pistol that’s easier to hit with from the start. YMMV
For me personally, all the guns I carry I train with and can get good hits at 25 yards with no problem. I do most of my training at 15 yards or less though. As for the gun size, I too prefer full size and when I can wear a jacket or unbuttoned overshirt that’s what I’ll be carrying. The 3 compact guns I have in rotation are .45 ACP Shield, VP9SK with Holosun SCS, and Masada 9S with Holosun 507k. And I get solid performance out of all three of those guns and they conceal easily and effectively under a T-shirt.

I don't conceal and the shortest barreled handgun I have is 4" (some brands label it as compact and others don't). Full size is my only carry size when I carry owb (I don't carry iwb). None have weapon lights and some do have rds. You're right, a micro would be sizable with a wml w/rds. Some are a defeated purpose.

It’s always been known most and will shoot a full size gun better then a small or micro gun, with the smaller gun you need to practice more, lots more to get proficient with it, and I am with you, even though I am a Glock guy, I don’t care for the smaller G43 at all, I do and used to carry the G26 and G27 earlier on, these are the smallest Glocks I would carry.

It’s always been known most and will shoot a full size gun better then a small or micro gun, with the smaller gun you need to practice more, lots more to get proficient with it, and I am with you, even though I am a Glock guy, I don’t care for the smaller G43 at all, I do and used to carry the G26 and G27 earlier on, these are the smallest Glocks I would carry.
Glocks are darn good pistols. I’ve got an ancient first gen 19 and at one time carried a 26 when they first came out. Rock solid reliable, just don’t fit me.

This to me is where more of the compact pistol shine. Small enough to still readily conceal but large enough to shoot effectively for home defense use.

I edc my p365 no light but also have an xmacro (non-comp) which serves both as a winter carry (gets dark early) and night stand gun. Weapon light and red dot stay on when I carry. I still carry a hand held light.

Like some I practice at shorter ranges, typically 10 yds. I do use a RDS but have no use for a light, and especially no laser. By putting my sight-in on target rounds at 10 yds I can hold dead on out to just over 50 yds and never be more than .75" high or low. Anything more than 50 yds I ain't planning to take on anyway since I never learned to shoot over my shoulder at a dead run!

I have two pistols I routinely carry, but one far more often than the other. My Hellcat with the SMSc for most occasions, and on certain, very light clothing situations, a PF9 (no RDS) that hides under even the lightest T-shirt. jj

I have a couple of micros that I often carry, both have red dots. Like everyone else I prefer shooting a larger gun, but getting in the car while you’re carrying a Govt 1911 sucks balls. I train regularly enough that if the gun I’ve got in my hand has a bang switch and rounds in it I’m going to hit what I’m aiming at. My micros, like my full size guns all carry minimum 15 rds. 10 rds touching each other or making a fist sized pattern are going to have the same effect. If I’ve got time to consider a 25yd shot you better believe I’m going to leg it rather than show off my skills.

Clint Smith said it best - you should own three distances; the width of your vehicle, the length of you vehicle, and the furthest distance in your home. Consequently, whatever you carry should be able to facilitate that. I practice with my three carry gun (G26, Kahr CM9, Ruger LCP) to be able to hit targets at all these ranges. I don't hang anything off or put anything on my carry guns that might hinder this. When I carry a "micro" I realize my tactics have to change - more movement, more communication and always know wher the best cover is located.

I've never owned a micro sized pistol. I do carry a 2" j-frame in a an ankle holster as a backup. My daily carry pistols, 4.25" M&P or 4.5" SA Echelon, are in strong side OWB holsters.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of smaller guns for carry. I'm also a fan of red dots and weapon mounted lights, but my views are my views and based off of my training and experience. I've been a LEO for a little bit. I've found my niche in investigations so I am not in uniform unless there is a special function. I don't know if I would feel differently if I were on Patrol.

At my agency I am issued a G19 with a TLR-1 and a Holosun sight. It is in my gun safe at home. Compared to my authorized for carry 43x MOS (with a red dot and a light) it feels like a tank. Do I feel under-gunned. No, I have 15 round mags so I can keep up on the range. The red dot is a blessing at 25 yards and beyond. It's a 407k X2 and is tiny. The light is a TLR-7 at 500 lumens. Being able to identify a target or search while still having a hand free in dim light situations makes the light a worth its weight in gold. The weight is minimal enough that my BUG is a non-MOS 43x (no red dot) with a light.

Now if only someone would come out with a DA/SA micro 9 with a rail and the ability to mount a red dot. That would be something.

I’m a fan of subcompacts and macros with WML, and RDS. Practice makes perfect and concealment is great even with a T-Shirt. Interestingly enough, I do not have a WML or RDS on my larger frame handguns and I shoot well enough with them. They are home defense tools that will be fired at 7-10 yards so I don’t see the need. Besides, my P229 will not accept either accessory.

Back