testtest

Lockheed AC-130 Gunship: Death Waits in the Dark

I worked with Spooky, Stinger, Spectre crews in SEA to coordinate air base defense plans. I saw C-47's on the ramp shot up so bad it's a miracle they could fly at all. Donated blood to wounded crewmembers that were shot up pretty badly. After I was activated following 9/11 I was assigned to a HQ at Hurlburt Field. There were 130 gunships there that had been in RVN when I was there. The current gunship is Ghostrider. We live near Hurlburt and can hear them working their guns on the range some nights. An amazing weapon system

During the course of history, there are few aircraft that can endure the test of time. The most notable are the B-52 and the C-130. I was in Danang during the 1968 Tet Offensive. I would watch the skies at night and see the finger of God point to the ground, and say "you p*** me off." A most beautful sight, unless you were on the receiving end of the finger

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Lockheed AC-130 Gunship: Death Waits in the Dark” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/lockheed-ac-130-spectre-gunship/.

Lots of proud aspects to my Air Force service, but the gunships are one of the coolest assets we had/have. And that last story is an awesome example of how, despite the chatter, the branches care deeply for one another when the chips are on the table. Great article!

I worked with Spooky, Stinger, Spectre crews in SEA to coordinate air base defense plans. I saw C-47's on the ramp shot up so bad it's a miracle they could fly at all. Donated blood to wounded crewmembers that were shot up pretty badly. After I was activated following 9/11 I was assigned to a HQ at Hurlburt Field. There were 130 gunships there that had been in RVN when I was there. The current gunship is Ghostrider. We live near Hurlburt and can hear them working their guns on the range some nights. An amazing weapon system
Amen! We could hear them from Milton ;)

Dr. Dabbs, I doubt that you were the person who put the captions on the Photographs but one was slightly wrong. Sgt. Thomas Hatch of the 1st Special Operation Wing handling ammunition for the 20mm Vulcan cannons on an AC-130 gunship, circa 1983. Image: Staff Sgt. Bill Thompson/U.S.A.F. The ammunition the Sargent is loading is in fact 40mm not 20mm as 40mm comes in "clips" of 5 while 20mm is usually in cans. I love your writing and the times you are on videos are extra special.

Back