testtest

Long-Range Off-Hand Rifle Tactics

There are some great tips in this article. Along with breath control I have always used the descent method for controlling movement. That method seems to work best for me especially now that I’m an old man. It will probably be spring before I have the chance to get to a range that offers distance shooting but if I remember I’ll have to try the figure 8 method.

The title is abit off. Not really tactics but techniques.

Tactics are means to implement strategies. Techniques are means to implement tasks.

There are several ways of holding a rifle in off-hand shooting. That's a technique.

If shooting a string of targets one has to determine which way to do it.

Right to left, left to right, top to bottom or visa versa. That's a tactic.

Good article on techniques.

Descent method used here.

Last edited:
I own a Mosin Nagant M44 (7.62x54R) and was looking at videos today of folks shooting them. I stumbled across a video of Jerry Miculek shooting one. He was able to hit a metal silhouette at 300 yards from the standing position using the rifle’s iron sights. Had it been anybody else I would have called BS. Man, that guy can shoot a gun.

I own a Mosin Nagant M44 (7.62x54R) and was looking at videos today of folks shooting them. I stumbled across a video of Jerry Miculek shooting one. He was able to hit a metal silhouette at 300 yards from the standing position using the rifle’s iron sights. Had it been anybody else I would have called BS. Man, that guy can shoot a gun.

Why? It's not that hard to do with a little practice...given a M44 isn’t known for accuracy, but some are pretty decent shooters.

I shoot stop sign size steel at 200 and 300yds with irons while standing with my mini-14 all day no prob. I actually prefer my mini iron sights then any irons I've used on an AR. Most of my ARs have either RDS, flip ups or a scope on them.

I haven't tried a Mosin yet but I've been tempted to pick one up. My LGS has about a dozen of them around $350.00

20201023_161331.jpg

Back