testtest

Looking for compact trauma kit

50BMG

Alpha
Founding Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for an ultra-compact trauma kit that can be carried on the ankle?

From what i've seen, most of them are pretty big and will bulge out.

They do bulge, but how much they do so is a factor of both how much (and what) you've got packed, how it's packed, as well as secondary considerations like your calf-to-ankle ratio, the fit of your pants (with the latter, whether the kit is readily - or at all - accessible can be a concern, should the pant leg/cuff fit too tightly/closely, in much the same way as ankle holsters), and footwear choice (i.e. whehter you're fitting the kit over boot cuffs.

I wish I had a more objective, more definitive way to put all of this, but really, "it depends." :oops::giggle:

For example, choosing some of H&H's Flat Compressed Gauze will obviously make for a different form-factor versus rolled and non-vacuum-sealed. Similarly, a SWAT-T Wide packs flatter than a CAT Gen7, and Hyfin versus HALO chest seals, etc.

They do bulge, but how much they do so is a factor of both how much (and what) you've got packed, how it's packed, as well as secondary considerations like your calf-to-ankle ratio, the fit of your pants (with the latter, whether the kit is readily - or at all - accessible can be a concern, should the pant leg/cuff fit too tightly/closely, in much the same way as ankle holsters), and footwear choice (i.e. whehter you're fitting the kit over boot cuffs.

I wish I had a more objective, more definitive way to put all of this, but really, "it depends." :oops::giggle:

For example, choosing some of H&H's Flat Compressed Gauze will obviously make for a different form-factor versus rolled and non-vacuum-sealed. Similarly, a SWAT-T Wide packs flatter than a CAT Gen7, and Hyfin versus HALO chest seals, etc.
Agreed. The ankle IFAK I bought at "Every Day Ready" came packed with items which I then added on to (another tourniquit, QuikClot, etc.). It's now so bulky that I can't get my jeans pant leg to fit over it, so in colder months it goes in my range bag. Summer months wearing shorts, although bulky, it fits Ok around the ankle. I'm thinking of just buying some items (tourniquet, QuikClot, etc), to carry in pocket, as I do have a larger Med Kit in my truck.

^ How we dress, I think, impacts this tremendously.

I'm a scientist working in academia, so for me, it's pretty much jeans-and-T-shirt all the time.

Yes, I'm "that guy" that dresses in the same outfit 24/7 -

1579273270111.png

1579273283305.png

OK, well, I can only wish I was that cool (actually, my wife wishes I was that handsome), but you get the idea when I say that folks I run into after not having seen me for years will say things like: "I'm so glad to see that black T-shirts, jeans, and a ball-cap are still a part of your life!" :ROFLMAO::giggle:😂

So I sorta have it easy - I carry my primary TQ, a CAT7, on my belt while my blow-out/boo-boo kit (a repurposed and reconfigured Adventure Medical Trauma Pack Pro) goes in my dominant-side back pocket.

Luckily, this same setup also translates well to more formal wear: anything from a night out on the town's "business casual" to a full-out monkey-suit for weddings, funerals, and the like.

I don't ankle carry because I have a chronic ankle injury on my dominant side that sometimes sees me in a boot or cast. Even normally, as of the last couple of years after a re-injury, I've had to wear a custom orthopedic brace (I call it my "old lady brace") 24/7. It's just not practical to have something in that location for me, as I won't be able to train towards consistency, there, due to the nature of the beast. With the rare possibility of carrying an ankle-gun on the non-dominant side in order to drop concealment profile, I'e just thought it best to go another route.

That said, I'm jealous of the folks who do ankle-carry their medical - it's an underutilized space, for-sure.

Back