testtest

Looking for new electronic NR muffs

Pitdogg2

Professional
Well I think it's time to step up my game a bit. Many many years ago I bought a pair of Caldwell electronic muffs for a serious bargain price. While they do still work I am looking since they are on their last leg so to speak.
Recently I've seen some Walker's at Sam's club and they are on the low end of the spectrum, it got me looking at other Walker's. I like the Walker’s XCEL 500BT Digital Electronic M u ff with Voice Clarity and Bluetooth. I've found a place that has them for $100.
My criteria is slim head gear to still be able to fire rifles and shotguns. Many are huge around the ears and just do not work well for me for long guns.
Is there others that I should investigate priced less than $150 and still offer at least 25db or more of NRR?

Edit really M u f f is a banned word if used in conjunction with Walker's, but not for Caldwell🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣

I have several Walker electronic noice cancelling ear muffs and even their electronic ear buds. I like them all, but since I like to usually double up on ear protection (w/silicone ear plugs), I usually stick with the ear muffs to couple together with the plugs.

I've got great non-electronic headgear and plugs. At my age I now wear them while hunting upland game and coyotes. Doubling up is out of the question and just defeats the whole purpose. It's the ability to talk and hear on the indoor range I use occasionally or being able to give directions in the field quietly. Yelling to have a conversation gets very old not to mention is not to conducive for hunting.

I’ve got the full size Walkers, work great, outdoor range that’s all I use, at the indoor range I double up with foam plugs.
1641675938805.jpeg

Don’t know if these foam and padded work there @Keystone19250 …….😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

I got some Howard Leights that I initially bought for my dad about 10 years ago for Father's Day. I think I paid about $70 for them. Work great.
I prefer the sound quality of Howard Leights over Walkers but the Walkers are more durable than the Leights. I have about 6-8 pair of the two listed brands and have only broken a pair of the Leights from a very small drop off the shooting table which was really disappointing considering how small of a drop it was.

I have a really nice pair of Walkers with built in Bluetooth and individual volume control on each ear piece though the volume isn't that great on those and the ear pieces are a lot thicker than the Leights with the added benefit of a higher db rating.

Last edited:
My criteria is slim head gear to still be able to fire rifles and shotguns. Many are huge around the ears and just do not work well for me for long guns.

If-possible, I would recommend that you try on a few different pairs, first-hand.

The problem is that this kind of problems isn't necessarily caused by a single hard-set dimension.

For some folks, it's the base of the earmuff that knocks on the stock. For others, it's the offset of the "cup" away from the face that causes issues. Why these are both variables is due to the particulars of how we each as unique individuals achieve our cheek on the stock - we don't all tilt our heads the same amount to get our eyes aligned behind the sight-axis, our cheek and chin bones, cheek, and jowls aren't of the same height/shape/density. That our head sizes are not of the same size also plays into these unpredictable interactions. Introduce the last variable - that of differently shaped buttstocks - and it becomes really hard to say, with-authority, what will and will not work for any one of us.

For example, the Peltor COMTAC series are not exactly the slimmest to begin with, and they actually protrude "out" even more a the base to support the battery boxes and other electronics. Yet they remain favorites for many.

1641677330203.png

Sometimes, these things can interfere in rather unpredictable ways.

If you can try them out first-hand, it's it's quite possible that it'll be worth going out-of-your-way to do so.

If-possible, I would recommend that you try on a few different pairs, first-hand.

The problem is that this kind of problems isn't necessarily caused by a single hard-set dimension.

For some folks, it's the base of the earmuff that knocks on the stock. For others, it's the offset of the "cup" away from the face that causes issues. Why these are both variables is due to the particulars of how we each as unique individuals achieve our cheek on the stock - we don't all tilt our heads the same amount to get our eyes aligned behind the sight-axis, our cheek and chin bones, cheek, and jowls aren't of the same height/shape/density. That our head sizes are not of the same size also plays into these unpredictable interactions. Introduce the last variable - that of differently shaped buttstocks - and it becomes really hard to say, with-authority, what will and will not work for any one of us.

For example, the Peltor COMTAC series are not exactly the slimmest to begin with, and they actually protrude "out" even more a the base to support the battery boxes and other electronics. Yet they remain favorites for many.

View attachment 23971
Sometimes, these things can interfere in rather unpredictable ways.

If you can try them out first-hand, it's it's quite possible that it'll be worth going out-of-your-way to do so.
And at over $1,000.00? Really??

^ The "com" part of the ComTac series is what drives up its price.

The non-communications enabled sets can be had for well under $250 on-sale (which is the price I got mine for, years ago). From there, various options for team communications drives up the price commensurate with features - Enviro Safety Products' website page actually has a good listing of the possibilities: https://www.envirosafetyproducts.co...tor-comtac-iii-and-swat-tac-iii-headsets.html

The picture I stole off the Internet for post #11 above is so that the OP can see what these looked like "on-head," to illustrate the fact that even though it protrudes that much at the base, it still -for many shooters- does not present interference issues . :)

Last edited:
Well I think it's time to step up my game a bit. Many many years ago I bought a pair of Caldwell electronic muffs for a serious bargain price. While they do still work I am looking since they are on their last leg so to speak.
Recently I've seen some Walker's at Sam's club and they are on the low end of the spectrum, it got me looking at other Walker's. I like the Walker’s XCEL 500BT Digital Electronic M u ff with Voice Clarity and Bluetooth. I've found a place that has them for $100.
Is there others that I should investigate priced less than $150 and still offer at least 25db or more of NRR?

Edit really M u f f is a banned word if used in conjunction with Walker's, but not for Caldwell🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣

Pittdog2- I bought a set of Actfire earmuffs after my Walker's Slims began to malfunction. They were redesigned by a former Walker's employee here in the US with better electronics but made by the same factory that made the Walker's. I'vrd used them for over 2 years now and they work very well. They fit in the same hard case as the Walker's. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Hearing-Shooting-Range-Earmuffs/dp/B09C5WMPNT

Pittdog2- I bought a set of Actfire earmuffs after my Walker's Slims began to malfunction. They were redesigned by a former Walker's employee here in the US with better electronics but made by the same factory that made the Walker's. I'vrd used them for over 2 years now and they work very well. They fit in the same hard case as the Walker's. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Hearing-Shooting-Range-Earmuffs/dp/B09C5WMPNT
Do they have a web site? I'd like to see what others they sell as well. I do not by anything from Amazon anymore.

Last edited:
Do they have a web site? I'd like to see what others they sell as well. I do not by anything from Amazon anymore.

Pittdogg2- Here's the only other link I could find. They're a lot more expensive here but you get free expedited shipping and they only carry the color shown. Looks like a new version.

Pittdog2- Found another one reasonably priced:

Last edited:
Back