testtest

Loose M1A bipod?

DeploraBill

Operator
I purchased the M1A standard-issue bipod to provide some stability at the range. I securely attached it to the gas cylinder as per the instructions but I didn't realize the rifle would be able to freely move from side to side! I've never used a bipod before. Do all bipods allow their rifles to move all "willy-nilly" like that? I wasn't too pleased with that setup. I may just have to get some sandbags to support the rifle unless someone else makes a bipod that prevents that movement!

I purchased the M1A standard-issue bipod to provide some stability at the range. I securely attached it to the gas cylinder as per the instructions but I didn't realize the rifle would be able to freely move from side to side! I've never used a bipod before. Do all bipods allow their rifles to move all "willy-nilly" like that? I wasn't too pleased with that setup. I may just have to get some sandbags to support the rifle unless someone else makes a bipod that prevents that movement!
Can you provide a picture of your set up and brand?

That bipod was made for the full-auto version of the M-14. Probably one of the worst bipods ever made.

It's too bad SA even sells them & the unaware folks don't realize how much they suck until they have one.

They are made to cant the gun from left to right for uneven terrain. but it still won't move a lot. now the buttstock should not swivel from left to right. there are some that do but if you have the original M1A bipod it shouldn't
That may be what is happening. The rifle cants left and right, which threw me off. I just assumed the rifle would be completely steady and not move or cant at all. Does anyone know of a bipod that attaches to rifle in a different spot? Like on the sling post?

That may be what is happening. The rifle cants left and right, which threw me off. I just assumed the rifle would be completely steady and not move or cant at all. Does anyone know of a bipod that attaches to rifle in a different spot? Like on the sling post?
1676998147918.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words.

FF269C0D-8342-4E1A-9773-40FA2DD6F6DD.jpeg
785A273A-4F68-409D-8DDB-73D49FC52103.jpeg

That is a Caldwell from Cabela’s, I replaced the sling loop with a pic rail that had a sling ring on it.
B53975AC-9E09-45F3-B570-A08FFA5A46D7.jpeg

806F9D62-5BF5-4837-B750-C866F23C41ED.jpeg

View attachment 36903
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pics are fine as it will help the forum members assist in your question/plight
I'm heading out for a funeral and am too anxious right now to provide any pictures. I'll try to provide a pic when I get back next week. Thanks to all the replies!
View attachment 36911View attachment 36912
That is a Caldwell from Cabela’s, I replaced the sling loop with a pic rail that had a sling ring on it.View attachment 36913
View attachment 36914
Nice! Does that attachment allow the rifle to cant left and right? (I'm hoping not)

Okay, I pulled the bipod out and took some pics. I had it attached to the weapon at the range a few weeks ago but didn't like the "looseness" of it, so I removed it. It's difficult to reattach so I hope you can see what I'm talking about with just the pics of the bipod by itself. Notice how when the barrel is inserted into the locking mechanism, it can move to the left and to the right. I think this is the cant that Belt Fed was referring to. IMHO it feels awkward to have the rifle flop left and right like that. Hopefully, the bipod that Chuck suggests will do the trick.

Attachments

• BIPOD RIGHT.jpg
    BIPOD RIGHT.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 71
  • BIPOD LEFT.jpg
    BIPOD LEFT.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 67
  • BIPOD.jpg
    BIPOD.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 67
  • BIPOD OPEN.jpg
    BIPOD OPEN.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 71
  • BIPOD NOMEN.jpg
    BIPOD NOMEN.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 69
Okay, I pulled the bipod out and took some pics. I had it attached to the weapon at the range a few weeks ago but didn't like the "looseness" of it, so I removed it. It's difficult to reattach so I hope you can see what I'm talking about with just the pics of the bipod by itself. Notice how when the barrel is inserted into the locking mechanism, it can move to the left and to the right. I think this is the cant that Belt Fed was referring to. IMHO it feels awkward to have the rifle flop left and right like that. Hopefully, the bipod that Chuck suggests will do the trick.
I'm heading out for a funeral and am too anxious right now to provide any pictures. I'll try to provide a pic when I get back next week. Thanks to all the replies!

Nice! Does that attachment allow the rifle to cant left and right? (I'm hoping not)
Hay DB,
You have more pressing things to deal with right now. Go take care of business. After you get back, we will all attack and get a fix for your problem. Good Luck.
Standing by.

1677088019375.gif

I'm back now. I had to drive to Pensacola for a funeral for my 98 y/o aunt. She was buried at Barancas Nat'l Cemetary having served as a Petty Officer 2nd Class during WWII. Pretty cool. I was in a rush to get out of here but I was able to calm down enough to snap some pics. And like I said, I will definitely look into that bipod that Chuck suggested if it can be locked down. Thanks again for all the replies!

Back