testtest

Loose Muzzle Break on Socom 16

After dialing in my M1A SOCOM CQB to zero and then plinking another 20rnds through it after that a couple weeks ago. I hung it on the wall in my bedroom to admire my new purchase for a few days before putting in the safe. I took it out again a couple days ago along with my new PA-10 to give them each a little comparison at 100 and also burn up my last two boxes of NATO Re-man. I shot a box through the M1A first and my first shot was six minutes low! It was on the money when I was done sighting it in a few weeks ago so I figured I had a flyer due to the inconsistency I've experienced from the NATO Re-man in the past. I continued shooting and my spotter was giving me placement reports every shot. The carbine was all over the place! I told myself "ok I got a really bad batch of Re-man in that last box. No big deal." I put the SOCOM back in my pickup. Swapped paper and set up the PA-10. First shot. Exactly two minutes higher than where I was aiming. Witch is where I zeroed it first time shooting the rifle. I continued to a send a few more down range. My spotter starts laughing and tells me I'm in the money shooting just over one minute. Now this got my really unconfident in my SOCOM. I figured the PA would beat it, but I mean it kicked it's a**! So finished the second box off in my PA and was getting preety good groupings with the exception of an occasional flyer due to the inconsistency of the ammo or maybe a pull or two, but all my shots felt good! So I decided to clean the bore of my SOCOM when I got back inside my shop. About halfway through swabbing. I noticed the muzzle break was rattling ever so lightly! Then all of a sudden it dawned on me! no wonder I couldn't hit where I was aiming!!! It just so happens the piston plug and the muzzle break were both loose. I unthreaded the plug so I could try to tighten the break by hand. When looking directly down the end of the muzzle and bore. The front sight clocks at about 7:00 or 8:00 hand snug. I backed it off approximately 3/4 of a turn to 12:00 then threaded the plug back on hand snug. It doesn't look right to me. I can see day light between the break and the barrels muzzle. I haven't and won't fire the carbine again until it's addressed.
Witch now brings me to my questions. Has anyone else ever experienced this With their SOCOM or have any idea what to do about it before I decide to send it back to SA for repairs. The firearm has less than 100 ends through it!

Attachments

• IMG_20220414_204211962_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220414_204211962_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20220414_204205280_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220414_204205280_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20220414_204008317_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220414_204008317_HDR.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
How new is the SOCOM? If new that's unacceptable.

If it only clocks at 7o'clock that unacceptable. If it wasn't like that when you got it maybe someone Loctited it to 12 o'clock then boxed it up. Now the loktite has come off and it's out of spec.

Have you felt or checked the threads for any burs or abnormal thread wear?
Yes, That's the first thing I checked. It had some powder residue at the base of the threads. I'm assuming from the pressure from however many muzzle blast's after it came loose. I cleaned it all, inspected the threads and everything looks good. No gauling, burs, or tiny metal shavings.

Last edited:
How new is the SOCOM? If new that's unacceptable.

If it only clocks at 7o'clock that unacceptable. If it wasn't like that when you got it maybe someone Loctited it to 12 o'clock then boxed it up. Now the loktite has come off and it's out of spec.
I didn't notice a gap between the muzzle break and the muzzle when first put it in my hands or fired it for the first time, but I didn't look closely or inspect the carbine either.

Well it's been almost two months since I sent my SOCOM CQB back to Springfield because of an out of spec muzzle brake, and I haven't heard a peep on it. 🤔

Well I picked up my Springfield yesterday and this is what I found out so far. They recrowned the barrel and replaced the muzzle brake. It's seems to be on much tighter now, and I see no gap or space between the cylinder and cylinder lock.

I'm hesitant to put a wrench on the piston plug to check the torque.🤔 Opinions or advice on putting a wrench on it or not to check torque?

Springfield also supplied a repair list/report as well as the test target from firing the weapon after the repair.

I'm pretty anxious to slap all the goodies back on the rails, set up a CQB senerio range with all my AR500 targets in the woods, and test it out myself!

I'll report back soon after that happens!👍

IMG_20220608_092334431_HDR.jpgIMG_20220608_092237603.jpg
IMG_20220608_092018614.jpg

Shoot fun, shoot safe, and shoot straight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back