testtest

LPVO vs. Red Dot — Which Do You Need?

Even with a magnifier a red dot has clear limitations for shooting at longer ranges. The size of the red "dot" makes this more apparent at ranges longer than CQB.

IMO, depending on what your area conditions are using a red dot with a magnifier beyond 100 yds is problematic, so being able to quickly switch optics to a LVPO or a greater power-range scope is desirable. In a way adding a magnifier helps in that issue but really not a substitute for a LVPO beyond 100.

Lastly, while being able to use the LVPO 1-2X setting offers close-range flexibility, IMO it's not as good as a red dot optic at close-range because you're accepting the larger size & weight of the LVPO vs. the more compact and lighter red dot optic.

My .02

Last edited:
I will also add that I have both a dot and an LPVO for whatever mood I'm in...I bought the scope (Viper 1-6) because my astigmatism causes the dot to appear like a starburst over 1/2 the full-silhouette at 100 yards, and there ain't much I can do, other than use a scope. It sure adds weight, though. Whatever...I like them both. There is a gunsmith near me that puts a dot on every scope he sells (45-offset, sometimes directly above) on bolt-hunting rifles for those hunters that unexpectedly come across a buck at 20 yards with a scope zeroed for 200. Seems like that concept could apply here.

I will also add that I have both a dot and an LPVO for whatever mood I'm in...I bought the scope (Viper 1-6) because my astigmatism causes the dot to appear like a starburst over 1/2 the full-silhouette at 100 yards, and there ain't much I can do, other than use a scope. It sure adds weight, though. Whatever...I like them both. There is a gunsmith near me that puts a dot on every scope he sells (45-offset, sometimes directly above) on bolt-hunting rifles for those hunters that unexpectedly come across a buck at 20 yards with a scope zeroed for 200. Seems like that concept could apply here.

Prism Red Dot fixes the astigmatism issue. I've got a Vortex Spitfire Prism Red Dot on my AR pistol and it's incredible. One of the nice things about it besides how crystal clear it is, is that the reticle is etched into the glass so even if the battery dies or the optics otherwise fail, you still have a reticle. You can also swap between red or green on the reticle colors which is super nice.

My ONLY gripe is that it doesn't have some form of MOTAC or Shake-Awake. They come in 1x, 3x, or 5x.

I recently put a magnifier ( my first) on my carbine. I am not impressed. To be sure it isn't a high quality magnifier, but the problem seems to me to be that the dot is too large at 100 yards to be very precise. And at 100 yards I can be just as accurate with no magnifier. Engaging past 100 yards ? That's not a situation I am concerned about other than on the range. And I have another carbine set up for that.

I can shoot a 6 inch plate ten times out of ten with a 16” AR15 and an EoTech at 200 yards. All day long.

I’ll never need to make a 200 yard shot. I see absolutely no use whatsoever for a LPVO for civilian self defense. Give me an Aimpoint, EoTech, or Trijicon red dot and I’ll be all set.

I prefer a red-dot / holographic sight, and I have shot very well with them for nearly 25 years. Aimpoint and EOTech are what I like. Magnification: I need generous eye relief when it comes to magnification, and that's not readily available... the best that I found is a Leupold VX•R 1.5-5x33mm Scout Scope with fire dot ... it's a bit on the heavy side and discontinued, but I'm sure a person could find one.

I can shoot a 6 inch plate ten times out of ten with a 16” AR15 and an EoTech at 200 yards. All day long.

I’ll never need to make a 200 yard shot. I see absolutely no use whatsoever for a LPVO for civilian self defense. Give me an Aimpoint, EoTech, or Trijicon red dot and I’ll be all set.

Pffft. I can do that.

p.s. I am lying. I can hit it 10 out of 10 with my 4.5-30x50 though.

Old Aimpoint CompM4 and the Leupold VX•R 1.5-5x33mm Scout Scope with fire dot... I have shot sub moa groups @ 100 yards using the Aimpoint without magnification. I'm not sure I could do any better with the Leupold, but the magnification would help me better identify my non-paper targets, so that's a plus.

IMG_9049 (2).JPG

Folks in rural areas may say otherwise.
200 yards sometimes doesnt cover half the length of a driveway. Perp may be 200 yards from your house and still on your property if you own lots of acreage.
Lets say they broke in, attacked the family and have taken a few shots at you from your driveway as your on the porch as you come out the door…

Everyone lives different and has diff needs

I own for ARs. Two in 5.56 and two in .300 AAC. One AR and both .300's have RD's, the other 5.56 has an LPVO (1 - 6) on it. It's zeroed at 300 yards.
If I really want to reach out, I'm going to pull out my bolt action .300 Win Mag, and use that.

I use ACOGs (5.56 & 7.62) and EOTECH.

ACOG is my favorite. No batteries and reliable as can be. I like EOTECH more for machine guns.
I'd love to have an ACOG. Particularly if I regularly used a carbine to kill enemy combatants. I suppose if I was in that situation I might consider spending $800 on an Eotech. Though frankly I have shot through some Eotechs that some crayon eating "Combat tech" friends of mine love so much and I'd rather have my 510s for my civilian type needs.

Back