• HK G3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AK-47

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Classified

Professional
Founding Member
I know, a never ending question. With so many opinions and myths. Regardless, what's you flavor and why?

Personally, I like the form and function of the M-1A. With the exception of the rock-n-lock mags. Nothing sounds quite like the ring/ping after sending a round from a finely tuned M-1A.

Its like an old Mercedes, heavy but has the performance and class to make up for it.

Maybe it's got something with having been born after the AR/M16 platform was adopted by the military, but I lean toward the AR-10. Eugene Stoner is indisputably the greatest gun designer of the 20th Century. Props to Mikhail for making the most common rifle, and of course without John Moses Browning we might still be using lever-action rifles (maybe).

Yet at the same time, I can't get away from the design that Patton hailed as "the greatest battle implement ever devised". I can't help but wonder if he would have transferred that honor to the AR-10, had he lived long enough. My first dalliance with the Garand action was a Ruger Mini-14, and I loved it. Had the chance to lay fingers on an M1A in my LGS and while it was a smidge heavier than I thought it would be, the M1A was RIGHT. I love old wooden stocks... They invoke images in my mind of the rifle on display over the fireplace, walnut gun cabinets with walnut-stocked rifles inside, a warm, organic feeling when you're holding it.

Yet I'm at heart a practical man. I know that wood swells, and no matter how well-bedded the barrel is, the stocks can affect your aim in extended outdoor situations. For that reason, my preference is synthetic stocks and handguards, and the absolute utility of the AR platform for customization, accessories, and the endless supply of aftermarket parts makes it the preferred choice. Optics? No problem! No need for special optics mounts like with the Garand/M1A/M14 design. You can personalize the AR with literally anything your heart desires. How can you beat that?

Two eras. Two rifles. Each one has its place, and it's a bit like apples & oranges so I'll take one of each thank you!

However, let’s not forget the FN/FAL.

Ah, yes. The right hand of the free world! We might've adopted it if the Army ordnance brass weren't so pigheaded about everything having to be designed and made in America. We even had to have our own cartridge as the NATO standard, because American rifles needed American cartridges. If they could see us now with the M17 pistol.

G3 is OK but I lean towards th G36 and the Steyr AUG as classic yet forward-looking designs...

But if I had to have ONLY ONE RIFLE AND IT COULDN'T BE AN AR, I'd take the TAVOR7!! לעולם לא עוד!

Maybe it's got something with having been born after the AR/M16 platform was adopted by the military, but I lean toward the AR-10. Eugene Stoner is indisputably the greatest gun designer of the 20th Century. Props to Mikhail for making the most common rifle, and of course without John Moses Browning we might still be using lever-action rifles (maybe).

Yet at the same time, I can't get away from the design that Patton hailed as "the greatest battle implement ever devised". I can't help but wonder if he would have transferred that honor to the AR-10, had he lived long enough. My first dalliance with the Garand action was a Ruger Mini-14, and I loved it. Had the chance to lay fingers on an M1A in my LGS and while it was a smidge heavier than I thought it would be, the M1A was RIGHT. I love old wooden stocks... They invoke images in my mind of the rifle on display over the fireplace, walnut gun cabinets with walnut-stocked rifles inside, a warm, organic feeling when you're holding it.

Yet I'm at heart a practical man. I know that wood swells, and no matter how well-bedded the barrel is, the stocks can affect your aim in extended outdoor situations. For that reason, my preference is synthetic stocks and handguards, and the absolute utility of the AR platform for customization, accessories, and the endless supply of aftermarket parts makes it the preferred choice. Optics? No problem! No need for special optics mounts like with the Garand/M1A/M14 design. You can personalize the AR with literally anything your heart desires. How can you beat that?

Two eras. Two rifles. Each one has its place, and it's a bit like apples & oranges so I'll take one of each thank you!

Just a strange question. Is the AK the most prolific or has the AR surpassed it in numbers? How would we find out? And I don’t want to take this thread in a different direction.

Ah, yes. The right hand of the free world! We might've adopted it if the Army ordnance brass weren't so pigheaded about everything having to be designed and made in America. We even had to have our own cartridge as the NATO standard, because American rifles needed American cartridges. If they could see us now with the M17 pistol.

G3 is OK but I lean towards th G36 and the Steyr AUG as classic yet forward-looking designs...

But if I had to have ONLY ONE RIFLE AND IT COULDN'T BE AN AR, I'd take the TAVOR7!! לעולם לא עוד!

I have a tendancy to be drawn to 30 cal. Granted, 20 does the job too, its just not the same.
At the end of the day its about one's proficiency....or dumb luck.

Just a strange question. Is the AK the most prolific or has the AR surpassed it in numbers? How would we find out? And I don’t want to take this thread in a different direction.
I would say it has more to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union than sheer popularity.
Maybe you should make a thread about it?

I'm pretty sure the AK is the most prolific by far. The receiver is crude enough that you can literally beat your plowshare into an AK-47. A tempered steel shovel blade makes excellent receiver material, you just have to work it a bit. And yes I've known some guys to have done exactly that.
I don't recall the actual numbers, but the AR-15 and all its iterations from all the different manufacturers in total probably exceed 20 million; add another 10 million for all the M-16 variants based on the AR design. So 30 million.
The AK-47 design, on the other hand, is easily in the range of 75 million made. Their cheap manufacture and global availability have made it the go-to combat rifle of guerrillas, insurgents, revolutionaries, communist dictatorships, latin american communist military juntas, african tribal warfare, etc., etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned M1a rifles for the last 27 years. I've fired the others, but remain faithful to the M1a. My latest purchase was the Scout, with forward optics added. I reload, and my ammo supply is plentiful.

I've never fired the M-1 but I hear it is sweet.

When taking some special training in the Army, we used scoped M-14s and man if the M1 is anything like that, it would have to be great. If you could see it in the scope, you could hit it. If I ever get a chance to get an M14 (variant) I would be all over it.

Hey gang, great conversation going on here. Just wanted to weigh in and let you know about an interesting article we posted on TheArmoryLife.com about the competition between the M14 and the FAL to become the next U.S. Military rifle after the revered M1 Garand. Some great pics and info in it.

Hey gang, great conversation going on here. Just wanted to weigh in and let you know about an interesting article we posted on TheArmoryLife.com about the competition between the M14 and the FAL to become the next U.S. Military rifle after the revered M1 Garand. Some great pics and info in it.

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Ender

I've never fired the M-1 but I hear it is sweet.

When taking some special training in the Army, we used scoped M-14s and man if the M1 is anything like that, it would have to be great. If you could see it in the scope, you could hit it. If I ever get a chance to get an M14 (variant) I would be all over it.
Bought a reproduction M14 from Classic Firearms made by James River Armory. They used the actual M14 blueprints to build it as accurate as legally possible (ie Semi auto only). Forged receiver done by Bula Defense. Great looking rifle to go along with my M1a & M1 Garand.

I just love the classic lines of the garand and the 14. They shoot great too.

Last edited:
I've experienced various rifles and my favorite is the AR 10 platform. I've put 1000 rounds through my Stag Arms just to see how well it performs in various conditions without cleaning. I had one jam. Heavy but very reliable. But I do plan on the AR15 .50 Beowulf. That thing is a beast in it's own class.

The M1A or M14 is simply the most beautiful long range weapon ever. That said, the AR platform is more forgiving. You can change it up to your liking by pushing 2 pins. From 20" to 16" or less. Full stock, CAR stock or even a Maxim compact stock. Magazine capacity all over the place. Proven design, with all the bugs worked out. With the M1A , it's how it was built, you dont mess with it.
Think of it like this , The M1A is a fine exotic sportscar. The AR platform is a current production muscle car. You can tweak and tune all you want on the common stuff, but you don't fiddle around with art and perfection. I think that best describes what I think.
Should the AK be on this list? It's more on par with a 30/30 instead of the full size .308Win
If I had to choose one weapon above all others and it had to work every time without fail, mud, snow and dirt, I'd have to hold my nose and pick the AK. If it was all equal rounds, then I'd choose the FAL. For beauty and accuracy the M1A . For looking badass the HK G3/91

Last edited:
I picked the M1A . I am old school though in that I like metal handguns be they semi auto or revolver and I like the classic look of the old rifles with wood stocks and clean lines . Years ago I bought a mini 14 because of those same looks.

I have shot an M1 Garand and would love to shoot a M1A .

The M1A or M14 is simply the most beautiful long range weapon ever. That said, the AR platform is more forgiving. You can change it up to your liking by pushing 2 pins. From 20" to 16" or less. Full stock, CAR stock or even a Maxim compact stock. Magazine capacity all over the place. Proven design, with all the bugs worked out. With the M1A , it's how it was built, you dont mess with it.
Think of it like this , The M1A is a fine exotic sportscar. The AR platform is a current production muscle car. You can tweak and tune all you want on the common stuff, but you don't fiddle around with art and perfection. I think that best describes what I think.
Should the AK be on this list? It's more on par with a 30/30 instead of the full size .308Win
If I had to choose one weapon above all others and it had to work every time without fail, mud, snow and dirt, I'd have to hold my nose and pick the AK. If it was all equal rounds, then I'd choose the FAL. For beauty and accuracy the M1A . For looking badass the HK G3/91
Well put, could not have said it better.

Back