testtest

M14 and the War on Terror: One Veteran’s Experience

Note:
Screenshot 2022-01-12 162134.jpg
= added field modifications. No new M14's were built in the EBR configuration from the factory.

ALOT of field modifications were/have been done to "as-issued" (official configuration) weapons.

While an military policeman in the 82nd MP CO in 1978, I had the good fortune to attend a 3 week sniper school conducted by the 82nd Abn Div at Ft Bragg. We had no sniper slots in the company so my LT borrowed a M21 sniper system from a line company. The M21 was an accurized National Match M14 with an Redfield ART 3x9 scope. That was the only time I ever shot an M14, but it was a pleasure to shoot. And if you and your spotter did your part it was accurate out to 800-900 meters. At that time, I believe the 82nd sniper school was the only one active in the Army and we had SF and even a pair of Delta Force snipers in the class.

Note: View attachment 24070 = added field modifications. No new M14's were built in the EBR configuration from the factory.

ALOT of field modifications were/have been done to "as-issued" (official configuration) weapons.
I can confirm this to a certain extent.
Here are a few photos from the TM supplement that came in the box with the brand new Winchester EBR I was issued. Also in the box came the pastie showing the .88 inch group at 100yds, as well as the mags, bipod, honeycomb lens covers, etc.
It was a great rifle and served me well. The LRM course at Ft Carson I attended, the range we used belonged to 10th group, and our first set of instructors were a couple of former Ranger Batt snipers who were part of the AMU. The second set of instructors were Sniper school instructors from Benning. At the end of the course, we successfully engaged 1000 yd targets.
My "old school" m14 came with the combat outpost we took over in country. I took it specifically for when we were going to be operating in a village or town. I wanted to have an alternate that I felt ok really maneuvering with, (and that could buttstroke). The old girl was good to about 500 meters. I had a 4x ACOG on there that wasn't for 7.62, but was the only optic available. I still wanted to be able to use an optic for observation, so I zero'd it at 100yds using the top of the carat, and didn't worry about the rest of the reticle. I chopped up part of some foam packing material and 100mph taped it up to make a cheek rest, used moleskin so that it wasn't slippery in the heat.

Attachments

• Page2.jpg
    Page2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 264
  • Page1.jpg
    Page1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 216
  • EBR.jpeg
    EBR.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 10995354_1388999524749224_6437554880238263800_n.jpg
    10995354_1388999524749224_6437554880238263800_n.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 253
The terms "as-issued" and "issued" have different meanings.

Like the infamous verbage..""It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

CMP rules clearly use the "as-issued" term and meaning, which means the EBR configuration is/was not the original "as-issued" original M14 configuration which the semi-auto M1As have to be to be used in CMP matches.

If you like your EBR configuration that's fine.

I did have one issue with mine. One of the roll pins in the trigger assembly came slightly out of alignment, I'm guessing due to vibration during use or what have you. One day when I was pulling the assembly out for cleaning, that pin kind of got stuck, and then disintegrated when I manipulated it out. I went down to the motor pool on our COP, and one of the mechanics fashioned me a new pin out of a piece of stainless rod. Took him about 10 minutes, and functioned perfectly afterward. Funny how memories work, I haven't thought of that in a long time.

All I can say is that I could hit a gnat in the ass with the M14. With the M16 I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn - from inside the barn! And I hate to think what would have happened if a guy tried to administer a vertical butt stroke with an M16. o_O

In the summer of 1969, at Fort Benning, I was introduced to the M14, converted to semiautomatic fire only. I fell in love with the weapon and, at age 73, I still love mine - an M1A. Very accurate with open sights. Hit popup targets at 350 meters then. No change now, except for old eyes!

Yes, a vertical butt stroke followed by a downward slash and then stab carries a lot more authority than the M16, and later versions.

I agree with all of the experience our troops over there have had to tolerate.especialy the lack of proper Parts, Tools, Amoroer Support Systems non existent for most of our military! Here are some of my own photos from War in Afghanistan. I'll be happy to give some of my hundreds I have kept over the last Two Decade's of War!! While fighting it with US.Rifle, 7.62mm x 51mm NATO Caliber Selective Fire M14, M14NM, M25 SASS, M39 EMR, all variations of the Best Rifle System ever devised and Built M14, M1A.
received_1017838261967905.jpeg
U.S.G.I. CAMO STOCKED M1A-M21 CIRCA 1971-87. SCOPE ART. 3. QUICK RELEASE MOUNT. S.A.I. ALSO HA...jpg
IMG_20200917_130324_973.jpg
IMG_20200917_130324_973.jpg
FB_IMG_1614205976226.jpg
IMG_20210623_165528_261.jpg
facebook_1614205922494_6770470357540908539.jpg
FB_IMG_1633956228626.jpg

Shame on the CMP, their rules discount and denigrate the men that were issued the M14EBR-RI as well as all of the other EBR variants used in GWOT.

Taylin, it's fine if you like CMP's rules...

Last edited:
Ummm...can we talk about that "upper vented handguard from the 1960's"? That shiznit looks on point 👌🔥.

How can I get one? What was it made of? Is there a performance benefit it adds? I love my M1A but the plastic handguard always seemed like an area of improvement for me...someone give me an education if they can!

Ummm...can we talk about that "upper vented handguard from the 1960's"? That shiznit looks on point 👌🔥.

How can I get one? What was it made of? Is there a performance benefit it adds? I love my M1A but the plastic handguard always seemed like an area of improvement for me...someone give me an education if they can!
They have been pretty hard to find in the past compared to the solid versions. But here's a source.

I should get one to stick on one of my M1As.

Some history on them from Bill Ricca...

"The slotted handguards were replaced because the Marine Manual of Arms had them slapping the handguard and that abuse caused them to break.

That is true, but there was another reason. When soldiers were outside for days, rain would get inside the hand guard slots and start rusting the barrel. It was easy to get the water off the end, but inside was not an easy thing to do in the field.

I and many others experienced that in basic training in 1964. I remember I had a 5 digit M14 H&R with a slotted hand guard. It was a problem."

Also, some have found that they get alot mirage/heat distortion from the barrel heat coming up through the vents. vs. the solid handguards.

Last edited:
They have been pretty hard to find in the past compared to the solid versions. But here's a source.

I should get one to stick on one of my M1As.

Some history on them from Bill Ricca...

"The slotted handguards were replaced because the Marine Manual of Arms had them slapping the handguard and that abuse caused them to break.

That is true, but there was another reason. When soldiers were outside for days, rain would get inside the hand guard slots and start rusting the barrel. It was easy to get the water off the end, but inside was not an easy thing to do in the field.

I and many others experienced that in basic training in 1964. I remember I had a 5 digit M14 H&R with a slotted hand guard. It was a problem."

Also, some have found that they get alot mirage/heat distortion from the barrel heat coming up through the vents. vs. the solid handguards.
Nice! Thanks, Talyn. Other than the benefit of their look, seems like there are plenty of logical reasons to avoid them.

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks, Talyn. Other than the benefit of their look, seems like there are plenty of logical reasons to avoid them.
Well, it depends. Folks that have used them in humid climate conditions have found the mirage to be worse than drier areas.

The vented handguards are abit of a novelty based on their looks.

I carried the M-14 in Vietnam in 1967 & 1968 and are combat load was 40 magazines . I doubled as company sniper. The M-14 is a great weapon and I never had any malfunctions what so ever. In Iraq I carried the M-16A1 and I have no use for the AR 15 platform. I will take a M-14 any day , same goes for my Browning .45 that I also carried in Vietnam , as far as I`am concerned the 9mm is worthless . I know that the younger generation prefers the AR-15 and the M-4 and the 9mm, not me. With the M-14 and a.45 I have real fire power that I can always count on when my life is on the line in combat. Robert keener

Back