testtest

M18A1 Claymore Mine: From Vietnam to Today

This may sound crazy to some but I would place a claymore right in front of my position if we where in a static location as the last hurrah if I (we) where over run, that way I could take a few of the commie turds with me when I left the planet.

Why has no one mentioned the versatility of cooking c-rats with the plastic explosive contained within the M18A1. A couple of pea sized lumps under a B1A1 accessory can made a perfect stove. Beans and Franks anyone, or maybe you prefer the Ham and Mother-xxxxxxs

Claymores in the mid 60s
I served in Malaysian Borneo from 64 to 66 during the Confrontation with Indonesia. During this campaign UK sourced M18 claymore mines for perimeter defence of forward locations and ambush situations. Am I dreaming it after nearly 60 years or did the Claymore suffer from partial detonations? I seem to recall receiving reports from units that the C4 was not fully detonating when fired.
The 'clacker' was a useful bit of kit, I 'borrowed' one to use for detonating demolitions of unserviceable ammo 'up country', much better than a battery and two wires! We had ammo that had to be destroyed after parachute 'maldrops', a pallet load of 105 mm HE made a big bang in the 'ulu'.
Going back to the M18, I recall being asked to demonstrate their effect in a 'staged' ambush for some special forces – not UK – I took eight mines and some life-size paper targets. Set the paper targets along an ulu track to represent an enemy patrol, spaced the mines in alternate directions facing into the track, wired them all together, retreated to a safe position, and squeezed the clacker. Bang and the track looked like the aftermath of a wedding with paper confetti everywhere. My audience were duly impressed and went off to work with a box of M18s!
['ulu' is Malay word for jungle, adopted by Brits]​

Back