testtest

M1A Loaded Scope Mount

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this site and this question may have been answered before.

I have just started using my M1A Loaded 308 and i'm ready to get a scope for it. The scope I have already chosen and ordered is the vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25x50. I'm curious as to what size rings I should be buying in terms of height. Id like to the scope to mount as low as possible without blocking my view of the irons (which I believe the Gen4 alum. scope mount allows you to do)

Any suggestions?

@Chris87695

If you want to go as low as possible get an ARMS #18 mount.

Bypass the SA Gen4 mount.

For a scope with that size of objective the ARMS #22 QD rings are offerred in varied heights.

With an ARMS #18 mount call ARMS and ask them which height of their rings would work best. The taller rings have a tunnel bult into the ring support, and the ARMS #18 also has a tunnel along the rail section.

If you want to take the scope off then the ARMS rings (very secure) have a lever that allows you to take the set-up off easily.

Or.....

If you don't want to go that route look at Sadlack mounts.

https://www.sadlak.com/

Then call Sadlack about the height needed for conventional rings with their rails.

You can still go QD with various brands that offer those types of rings.

Last edited:
I
So you have to get the Sadlac to mount either way? No holes for ring mounts like rem700 or similar?
don;t quiet under stand the question.

Both ARMS 18 & Sadlack mounts have three point of contact with the M1A receiver; the side threaded point, at the stripper clip slot dovetail (the stripped clip slot is removed) and an integral part of the mount goes into the dovetail, and at the front of the receiver via a contact point from a screw from the mount.

Aside from the removal of the stripper clip slot piece there's no drilling/tapping into the M1A receiver.

Both brands are a continuous picatinney rail with a see-thru channel the whole length. The rings atatch just like a pic/Weaver attachment. The ARMS #22 QD rings are primarly set up for the ARMS mounts but will work on any mil-spec Pic rail.

Old ARMS #18's were a split rail (front and rear pic sections) and are in high demand on the used market.

I have.use either old-style ARMS #18s and Sadlack Airborne mounts.

I

don;t quiet under stand the question.

Both ARMS 18 & Sadlack mounts have three point of contact with the M1A receiver; the side threaded point, at the stripper clip slot dovetail (the stripped clip slot is removed) and an integral part of the mount goes into the dovetail, and at the front of the receiver via a contact point from a screw from the mount.

Aside from the removal of the stripper clip slot piece there's no drilling/tapping into the M1A receiver.

Both brands are a continuous picatinney rail with a see-thru channel the whole length. The rings atatch just like a pic/Weaver attachment. The ARMS #22 QD rings are primarly set up for the ARMS mounts but will work on any mil-spec Pic rail.

Old ARMS #18's were a split rail (front and rear pic sections) and are in high demand on the used market.

I have.use either old-style ARMS #18s and Sadlack Airborne mounts.
I don't have a m1a for reference, just pics from SA site. I understand the Sadlac and how it's mounted, just trying too figure out how the qd is attached without a pic rail? I don't see any way or am I missing something? There doesn't look too be any mounting holes in the receiver for a r700 or similar type (mod70) to attach base rings or short pic rails? Are all the m1s alike without the exception of the squad with a pic rail in front of the receiver?

I don't have a m1a for reference, just pics from SA site. I understand the Sadlac and how it's mounted, just trying too figure out how the qd is attached without a pic rail? I don't see any way or am I missing something? There doesn't look too be any mounting holes in the receiver for a r700 or similar type (mod70) to attach base rings or short pic rails? Are all the m1s alike without the exception of the squad with a pic rail in front of the receiver?
The ARMS #22 rings have a lever that cams against the bottom of the rail. Just like the ADM or LaRue mounts do. With a Leupold QD ring on one side of the angled bottom there's a rotating lever that tightens against the rail.

The only hole on the M1A receiver is the standard threaded one on the left side of the receiver that's used universally by all mounts. No other holes are needed since the ARMS & Sadlack mounts use a new piece in the stripper clip slot either integral or then attached to the rest of the main mount.

SA mount use that approach but have the two big screw knobs for easier removal, but have a tendancy to lossen with use. Plus the left side threaded hole really wasn'y intended to be regularly used.

The other more secure mounts have dedicated screw that cams in. Both ARMS & Sadlack mounts are intended to be semi-permanent mounts for greater rigidity & secure attachment. But they can be taken off.

Both ARMS & Sadlack mounts have NSN numbers, and in mil use.

The Scout is the same it just has the extra forward pic mount that attaches to the barrel. I have my scout set up for both receiver and scout mounting of optics.

Last edited:
There is a person that lives 2 miles from me that has a m1, so I'll look at his for a better understanding of mount and stripper clip.

There is a person that lives 2 miles from me that has a m1, so I'll look at his for a better understanding of mount and stripper clip.
You can see in this pic how the M1A stripper clip ( stripped clip piece removed) dovetail is used buy the ARMS #18. The Sadlack mounts use the same. There's a set screw that angles down into the dovetail to provide extra locking.

You can also see the front set screw that makes contact with the front of the receiver bridge.

This pic doesn't show the side screw installed.

main-qimg-daf8116347e364bd9fc2ab3038fa96f5

You can see in this pic how the M1A stripper clip ( stripped clip piece removed) dovetail is used buy the ARMS #18. The Sadlack mounts use the same. There's a set screw that angles down into the dovetail to provide extra locking.

You can also see the front set screw that makes contact with the front of the receiver bridge.

I like that type mount the best! AWESOME for sure!

That Mount definitely looks less bulky then the SA Mount.

I typically run an ARMS18 mount because it looks like it belongs and does mount an optic as low as it gets. With a 50mm objective, i'm thinking medium height rings and you may need to finesse your variable ring fore/aft to clear the rear peep sight. It'll be close but works out well.

Here's a 4-12x50 on a carbon fiber stock...
SOCOM Carbon 01.jpeg

Smoky

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this site and this question may have been answered before.

I have just started using my M1A Loaded 308 and i'm ready to get a scope for it. The scope I have already chosen and ordered is the vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25x50. I'm curious as to what size rings I should be buying in terms of height. Id like to the scope to mount as low as possible without blocking my view of the irons (which I believe the Gen4 alum. scope mount allows you to do)

Any suggestions?
Did you use the Gen4 alum. scope mount? I ordered one when I ordered my M1A loaded. Still waiting for the rifle, but want to get the accessories on-hand. Looking at a Vortex 56 mm objective scope so my rings may be different, but I'm wondering if your mount worked out for you and what you ended up with?

Did you use the Gen4 alum. scope mount? I ordered one when I ordered my M1A loaded. Still waiting for the rifle, but want to get the accessories on-hand. Looking at a Vortex 56 mm objective scope so my rings may be different, but I'm wondering if your mount worked out for you and what you ended up with?

Chris87695

Alpha
Joined Dec 2, 2021
Last seen Dec 2, 2021

Back