testtest

M1A Scout Squad vs. M1A SOCOM

wmg1299

Professional
Despite 2020 being a trainwreck, I've had a pretty good few months at work and am considering a new rifle purchase. I have always wanted a Springfield M1A, but have no personal experience with the rifle. While I would definitely take a Standard model if I found a good deal, I'm leaning more toward a Scout or a SOCOM model.

Do any of you who have fired both rifles have a preference? Is there any noticeable difference in accuracy or recoil with the SOCOM's shorter barrel? The rifle will be used primarily for target shooting, but with some amount of hog/coyote hunting when varmints make their way onto the land. This will be my most expensive rifle purchase to date, so I'm trying to do a bit more research than in the past.

I love my Scout.

If you get the SOCOM get the optional hot dog holder so you can cook them with it's fireball.

A wonderful platform no matter which barrel length you choose. That being said, although the SOCOM has tremendous muzzle flash as well as muzzle blast, it is easier to carry. IMHO the Scout is about perfect!

I’m leaning toward the Scout because I like the traditional wood stock. I like the looks of the original, but I think the full-length barrel may difficult to maneuver through some of the brush on the family land.

I like the tritium sights on the SOCOM because the hogs love to come out at night, but that is the only feature that really stands out to me. I’d go with the SOCOM if everyone with experience with the platform said it was the hands-down best option, but it seems like Scout owners have all been happy with their choice. Now I’ve just got to find one in stock at a reasonable price.

I’m partial to the scouts
66CD15E8-8A31-405C-B18C-01CDCA510FA2.jpeg

I'm definitely leaning toward the Scout, but am having difficulty finding one. I'm hoping the prices drop and availability improves in the near future. I'm wondering if the price will drop because the M1A's could most likely survive any attempt at an "Assault Weapons Ban", or if it will go up for that same reason. I do know that I will buy any new Scout Squad that I can find in the $1,300-$1,400 dollar range.

I’m leaning toward the Scout because I like the traditional wood stock. I like the looks of the original, but I think the full-length barrel may difficult to maneuver through some of the brush on the family land.

I like the tritium sights on the SOCOM because the hogs love to come out at night, but that is the only feature that really stands out to me. I’d go with the SOCOM if everyone with experience with the platform said it was the hands-down best option, but it seems like Scout owners have all been happy with their choice. Now I’ve just got to find one in stock at a reasonable price.

if there’s a benefit to my NY compliant scout, it’s overall length is only 1/4 inch longer then the socom
I very happy with mine. Good accuracy soft shooter and quiet in the absence of a muzzle device.
677256F4-8BB6-4BB2-A979-B3178BAF0FBD.jpeg

You know that M1A is not a reg Scout. It's more SOCOM-like.

The gas block distance from the handguard looks shorter (angle of the pic?), and the front sight post is seperate from the gas block on a reg Scout..

I believe to make it NY compliant ie: no thread barrel they had to relocate the front site. It’s not the trid socom site but the standard sight. Mine is stamped NM. So likely the national match
The barrel is 18” maybe the angle of pic but, though not measured, in hand block appears standard distance. It does look similar to the tanker
In any case I’m extremely pleased with rifle. I have the cleaning kit just to complete package, though I’d never use it.
DD6C861B-1B58-4B7A-8F34-14EFB63AFE19.jpeg

OK, understand now.

Sorry you're in a state where they immasculate fine rifles.

Glad I don't have to put up with all that.

The 18" Scout/Bush/MK14 is a better value, especially if you desire a different muzzle device. The 16.25" Socom is a great rifle, but it takes more work and money to upgrade the muzzle device because it is also the front sight base, and you end up with an overall length that is just shy of the Scout.
IMG_7241.JPG

Back