testtest

M1A SOCOM 16 optics

I recently purchased M1A SOCOM 16 and I'm considering putting optics with red dot, I'm seeking advice from those who have an identical rifle with optics and it's pros/cons of it. There are so many in the market that it's confusing me. I'm looking for something that has fast acquisition siting for self defense and hunting game. Any good advice is appreciated.

Do you want a traditional magnified optic mounted on a traditional over the receiver scope mount, a long eye relief scout scope, or a red dot/holographic sight? Do you want to avoid adding a cheek riser?

I recently purchased M1A SOCOM 16 and I'm considering putting optics with red dot, I'm seeking advice from those who have an identical rifle with optics and it's pros/cons of it. There are so many in the market that it's confusing me. I'm looking for something that has fast acquisition siting for self defense and hunting game. Any good advice is appreciated.
Lots of good scope threads going on here with some great advice.

Use the search bar at top right of page:
Type in M1A optics or Similar.

Lots of owners on here have posted threads on their Victor .308’s and other m1A scopes.

Many many threads

One thing to consider is distance.
What ranges do you intend to mostly shoot ?
Range targets ??
Hunting game as stated occasionally out past 100 yards ??

I personally would look at a low powered variable optic.
A nice 1x6, 1x8 or 1x10 in the price range of your budget.
Range fun at 25-50 yards and use the 1x power then dial it up to 6/8/10 power depending on scope for 75-300 yards …
300 would be tough on a 1x6, so if thats your thinking, go with a 1x10.

I run a 1x6 on a FN FAL and a 4x16 on my other .308. A 10x on my M1A.

I use the M1a for distance only.
Fal and AR10 for close to mid range out to 150-200

8AB642B8-0376-4B41-91EB-0AF0450500D4.jpeg
5FB69125-4A73-4A41-B1C9-F57112694463.jpeg

Lots of good scope threads going on here with some great advice.

Use the search bar at top right of page:
Type in M1A optics or Similar.

Lots of owners on here have posted threads on their Victor .308’s and other m1A scopes.

Many many threads
Thank you for your advice.

You can mount a long eye relief scout type scope on your rifle using the OEM picatinny rail. If you need a cheek riser, consider Bradley cheek risers for the M1A. Or, you can remove the OEM scout rail and hand guard and replace those parts with an Ultimak rail (https://www.thecountryshed.com/Ulti...-Fits-Standard-weight-barrels-only_p_167.html). That rail may place the scope or red dot low enough that a cheek riser may not be needed.
I like that upper hand guard/rail system the only thing that concerns me is how stable/strong it is during firing the .308 with a full size scope attached. Will it hold zero? I really don’t like the receiver rail mount.

Last edited:
Keystone1925 -- I have a Burris 2x7x40 scout scope on the ultimak rail. I can't say regarding heavier scopes. With the scout scope there is no problem and I have to say that the attachment of the rail to the rifle seems well thought out and very secure.

Blackfeather offers a few different CASM scope mounting solutions, the SHG has an Aimpoint Micro on it and the LSP has an assortment of aiming devices on it. Both styles work with standard stocks.

Attachments

• 22and16.25.JPG
    22and16.25.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_9046 (2).JPG
    IMG_9046 (2).JPG
    936.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9047 (2).JPG
    IMG_9047 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_9048 (2).JPG
    IMG_9048 (2).JPG