testtest

Magazine Releases

belladonna

Professional
This has been rumbling around in my head for a while so I finally decided to put it out there. All of my pistols, except for one, have the mag release button operational by the right thumb. My M&P9 2.0 compact is a used LE trade in and its mag release button came with left hand operation. I never changed it because I found it is far easier and smoother for me to drop the mag in that gun with my middle finger.

All of this being said, I find it a little difficult to drop the mags of some of my guns because not only do I have small hands, but my thumbs are really short...to the point that I don't have enough strength with my thumb to push the button because just the edge of my thumb catches the edge of the mag release.

Does anyone else here know of someone with this issue? I sort of feel like a freak of nature, and I plan on switching the mag releases of a few of my guns so I don't have to concentrate so much when reloading. I find I have the issue mainly with the M&P9 series (not the Equalizer or Shield EZ), the XD-M Elite, and my 1911s. I work on my grip always (thinking it might help) but the thumb digits are just too short to effectively drop my mags smoothly.

Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there for some feedback, and thanks in advance. The struggle is real.. :cool:

This has been rumbling around in my head for a while so I finally decided to put it out there. All of my pistols, except for one, have the mag release button operational by the right thumb. My M&P9 2.0 compact is a used LE trade in and its mag release button came with left hand operation. I never changed it because I found it is far easier and smoother for me to drop the mag in that gun with my middle finger.

All of this being said, I find it a little difficult to drop the mags of some of my guns because not only do I have small hands, but my thumbs are really short...to the point that I don't have enough strength with my thumb to push the button because just the edge of my thumb catches the edge of the mag release.

Does anyone else here know of someone with this issue? I sort of feel like a freak of nature, and I plan on switching the mag releases of a few of my guns so I don't have to concentrate so much when reloading. I find I have the issue mainly with the M&P9 series (not the Equalizer or Shield EZ), the XD-M Elite, and my 1911s. I work on my grip always (thinking it might help) but the thumb digits are just too short to effectively drop my mags smoothly.

Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there for some feedback, and thanks in advance. The struggle is real.. :cool:
Do any of those pistols have the ability to switch the mag release to the other side like your M&P ?

What Hans said. Definitely. Although I am as comfortable using my thumb as I am using my trigger finger.

I have 1 Walther and I can't stand the paddle release. On a long gun it's fine. For a carry it might not be the best, but an oversized or extended release could help? Probably not wanting that to be against the body for unwarranted release. I've always had to deal with "right-handed" guns as being mostly left-handed especially handguns and manipulate controls that didn't have the ability to be changed. Just got used to it. Because of my neck and using force with my right thumb, it's easier to use trigger finger (right hand) for a left release button. For now, I "roll" my thumb around to work release to have better/more force. If needing to do a "speed" reload I'd better take cover while doing so. When slide is out of battery and/or empty it's easier and faster for me.

I have 1 Walther and I can't stand the paddle release. On a long gun it's fine. For a carry it might not be the best, but an oversized or extended release could help? Probably not wanting that to be against the body for unwarranted release. I've always had to deal with "right-handed" guns as being mostly left-handed especially handguns and manipulate controls that didn't have the ability to be changed. Just got used to it. Because of my neck and using force with my right thumb, it's easier to use trigger finger (right hand) for a left release button. For now, I "roll" my thumb around to work release to have better/more force. If needing to do a "speed" reload I'd better take cover while doing so. When slide is out of battery and/or empty it's easier and faster for me.
The paddle is covered by the holster—no “pressing against the body” release.

At least, if you have a proper holster that covers the trigger guard.

HK & Walther are the main users of this system, and, in my personal experience, it’s much better & intuitive than button releases.

It's also truly ambidextrous. It's a pet peeve of mine that so many button releases get referred to as "ambidextrous" when they're actually not - what they are is configurable for one side or the other. That's not the same as ambidextrous.

Unfortunately, Walther seems to be moving away from paddle releases on its newer offerings. It's one thing I definitely liked about the HKs I owned.

I, for one, have just never felt it's a sound notion to employ the trigger finger for anything beyond convention. Of course, a solid training regimen would provide acclimation. But, hell, I'm too old for that! Good luck, my Belle.

I, for one, have just never felt it's a sound notion to employ the trigger finger for anything beyond convention. Of course, a solid training regimen would provide acclimation. But, hell, I'm too old for that! Good luck, my Belle.
It actually makes a lot of sense, particularly with new shooters.

You should remove your trigger finger from inside the trigger guard while reloading; by using your trigger finger to release a mag, you are forced to do this, and then move to the frame index position.

It actually makes a lot of sense, particularly with new shooters.

You should remove your trigger finger from inside the trigger guard while reloading; by using your trigger finger to release a mag, you are forced to do this, and then move to the frame index position.
As you wish. For yours truly, my trigger finger is straight along the frame, or on the trigger when on target: no additional usage. Training. . .

So, does it make more sense to swap for a paddle altogether, or to reconfigure the release for the left side and use my middle finger, like I already do with my bigger M&P9?

I already train with the middle finger on that gun. I just want to be able to train the same with all of them. I’ll make it work somehow, I was just thinking that the middle finger thing might be a viable solution. Not sure I want to mess with the trigger finger thing…

So, does it make more sense to swap for a paddle altogether, or to reconfigure the release for the left side and use my middle finger, like I already do with my bigger M&P9?

I already train with the middle finger on that gun. I just want to be able to train the same with all of them. I’ll make it work somehow, I was just thinking that the middle finger thing might be a viable solution. Not sure I want to mess with the trigger finger thing…
I just realized how redundant this sounds…thank you guys for your input. I will mess about with them and see which works best. My goal is to keep my training as consistent as possible.

Thanks again!

If the release in the left & middle finger release work for you, don’t mess with it.

I’d switch my other pistols to the same configuration.

It's about what works for you! Swap and mix and match to find out that answer.

Back