testtest

Malfunction-Clearing Techniques Need To Be Second Nature

when i first started, i had only 1 lesson in gun safety in order to "qualify" to use the public range. the instructor showed me how to clear a jam, on an old .22 that i was using to qualify

before that, what did i know?

but it most certainly IS a second nature thing to do, just like drawing your side arm, muscle memory perhaps?.

Local LGS trainer I shot with used these dummy rounds on me. Type 3 malfunction.
He’d place them and dummy rounds in random mags on holster draw, move & shoot drills.

Gets you proficient in clearing a handgun.!!😬😬😳😳

Some good basic information on malfunction techniques that we all should practice and know how to do.

I would have liked to see the article address the XD/XDms in-particular, given the fact that for many of the guns in this lineup, the grip safety must be properly actuated in order to cycle the slide....also because the author showed an XD in the leading picture in that article!

This becomes especially important in the combatives context (of which contact-distance concerns were touched-on in the article) as it is both necessary to not only clear more common stoppages, but also to properly mortar the gun.
"Mortaring" a reciprocating-slide handgun is a "combat" stoppage-remediation technique. It isn't without its pitfalls (the biggest of which is launching the gun downrange), but when the gun is locked-up tight and you have to get back in the fight, the technique should provide the shock/impulse needed to free the slide, when even the most forceful "racking" cannot.

Typically, because of the inherent dangers of this technique, it's not taught at the novice/beginner level for stoppage reduction. That said, I continue to find it surprising at the relatively small population of shooters who know it, have practiced it, and/or have used it successfully in a training context.

I really believe that in order to be a competent defensive/duty shooter, one needs to have this technique solidly practiced and in their toolbox:

With the muzzle in a safe direction, firmly grasp the slide with your non-dominant hand as if you are going to rack the slide. Do this with the thumb pointed back at your body: it will be an extremely difficult an angle to attack the gun with your thumb pointed towards the muzzle as in the pinch technique favored by the author of the cited article above.

Now, using your strong/dominant hand, open-palm strike the tang of the weapon.

Aim for the web of your hand to contact the tang (with the XD/XDm, proper technique should have you simultaneously contacting the grip safety and deactivating it, thereby allowing the slide to cycle its full range). As you make contact, quickly close your hand around the grip so that you can retain ("catch") the weapon.

This forceful blow should shock the slide free.

This is a tried-and-true method that is taught specifically as stoppage remediation on reciprocating-slide semi-auto handguns.

Should you launch the weapon downrange, do *NOT* attempt to catch it. Simply let it drop, and retrieve it afterwards. A properly designed and mechanically sound defensive/duty grade handgun will have a inertial/drop safety that will prevent it from "going off" from such an event.

-----

I also wanted to point out that Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts also presented an interesting take on stoppage remediation:

I regularly use the term "Tap, Rack, Bang" for stoppages involving semiauto handguns. I recently had to refamiliarize myself with immediate action action drill for ARs. For this I use the acronym SPORTS, which stands [to my recollection] for slap the magazine base, pull the charging handle to the rear, observe the round, release the charging handle, tap the forward assist, squeeze the trigger. Note. Some of these may be out of style now, but will get the job done.

I regularly use the term "Tap, Rack, Bang" for stoppages involving semiauto handguns. I recently had to refamiliarize myself with immediate action action drill for ARs. For this I use the acronym SPORTS, which stands [to my recollection] for slap the magazine base, pull the charging handle to the rear, observe the round, release the charging handle, tap the forward assist, squeeze the trigger. Note. Some of these may be out of style now, but will get the job done.

SPORTS is still widely accepted, don't worry! :)

At around the 52:15 time-point, Chris Costa and Travis Haley -who at the time were both with Magpul Dynamics- demonstrates SPORTS.

-----

To further help you with this topic, the refresh of the AR15 stoppage reductions, I really like the following videos:

^ Kyle Lamb, VTAC

^ Pat MacNamara, TMACS

Mike Pannone - CTT-Solutions - following two videos:
.....and this one that's specific for the bolt-override:

John "Chappy" Chapman's take on "catastrophic" (you'll notice by now that different instructors use different verbiage) - the bolt-override:

Finally, Aaron Cowan - Sage Dynamics -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3q2Pj-6q8

Also, if you have the ability to, I'd really recommend pursuing a "armorer's course" on the platform. It doesn't need to be a detailed, multi-day one, either - just a hobbyist-level one that really helps cement the rifle's operational cycle can help tremendously, even in terms of addressing a stoppage while you're actually shooting (versus benchtop troubleshooting, which is what people tend to think of when the words "armorer's class" comes up). I compare it to doctors in medical school first learning physiology and how the body works when everything is going according-to-plan, and then learning pathophysiology - what happens when things go wrong. :)

SPORTS is still widely accepted, don't worry! :)

At around the 52:15 time-point, Chris Costa and Travis Haley -who at the time were both with Magpul Dynamics- demonstrates SPORTS.

-----

To further help you with this topic, the refresh of the AR15 stoppage reductions, I really like the following videos:

^ Kyle Lamb, VTAC

^ Pat MacNamara, TMACS

Mike Pannone - CTT-Solutions - following two videos:
.....and this one that's specific for the bolt-override:

John "Chappy" Chapman's take on "catastrophic" (you'll notice by now that different instructors use different verbiage) - the bolt-override:

Finally, Aaron Cowan - Sage Dynamics -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3q2Pj-6q8

Also, if you have the ability to, I'd really recommend pursuing a "armorer's course" on the platform. It doesn't need to be a detailed, multi-day one, either - just a hobbyist-level one that really helps cement the rifle's operational cycle can help tremendously, even in terms of addressing a stoppage while you're actually shooting (versus benchtop troubleshooting, which is what people tend to think of when the words "armorer's class" comes up). I compare it to doctors in medical school first learning physiology and how the body works when everything is going according-to-plan, and then learning pathophysiology - what happens when things go wrong. :)
Good info for the forum. I especially like the three little kittens.

I would have liked to see the article address the XD/XDms in-particular, given the fact that for many of the guns in this lineup, the grip safety must be properly actuated in order to cycle the slide....also because the author showed an XD in the leading picture in that article!

This becomes especially important in the combatives context (of which contact-distance concerns were touched-on in the article) as it is both necessary to not only clear more common stoppages, but also to properly mortar the gun.
"Mortaring" a reciprocating-slide handgun is a "combat" stoppage-remediation technique. It isn't without its pitfalls (the biggest of which is launching the gun downrange), but when the gun is locked-up tight and you have to get back in the fight, the technique should provide the shock/impulse needed to free the slide, when even the most forceful "racking" cannot.

Typically, because of the inherent dangers of this technique, it's not taught at the novice/beginner level for stoppage reduction. That said, I continue to find it surprising at the relatively small population of shooters who know it, have practiced it, and/or have used it successfully in a training context.

I really believe that in order to be a competent defensive/duty shooter, one needs to have this technique solidly practiced and in their toolbox:

With the muzzle in a safe direction, firmly grasp the slide with your non-dominant hand as if you are going to rack the slide. Do this with the thumb pointed back at your body: it will be an extremely difficult an angle to attack the gun with your thumb pointed towards the muzzle as in the pinch technique favored by the author of the cited article above.

Now, using your strong/dominant hand, open-palm strike the tang of the weapon.

Aim for the web of your hand to contact the tang (with the XD/XDm, proper technique should have you simultaneously contacting the grip safety and deactivating it, thereby allowing the slide to cycle its full range). As you make contact, quickly close your hand around the grip so that you can retain ("catch") the weapon.

This forceful blow should shock the slide free.

This is a tried-and-true method that is taught specifically as stoppage remediation on reciprocating-slide semi-auto handguns.

Should you launch the weapon downrange, do *NOT* attempt to catch it. Simply let it drop, and retrieve it afterwards. A properly designed and mechanically sound defensive/duty grade handgun will have a inertial/drop safety that will prevent it from "going off" from such an event.

-----

I also wanted to point out that Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts also presented an interesting take on stoppage remediation:

This is where you throw your gun down, pull your ankle pistol and shoot them double tap to the chest and 1 to the head.

Bill Blowers has a different take. See below.

^ Excellent! I had forgotten to include Blowers' take - thanks for picking up where I slacked off! :giggle: :)

I've largely deleted the "tap" from my personal repertoire (old habits that were ingrained as primacy are hard to completely eradicate) if, as Blowers noted, I'd already had the gun in the fight.

I don't have *that* much handgun experience, but to say I've had less would be a lie as well 😅 - all that I can say is that through hundreds of thousands of rounds fired, I've only ever had one instance where the FTFire was due to a failure to seat the magazine properly, and that particular stoppage occurred on the second shot out of the holster. In that instance, I had failed to insure the magazine was properly seated after an in-holster administrative reload away from the firing line: revised methodology/technique means this has never again been an issue.

I've found that I don't have the physical brawn (or maybe it's just that my XDms are "tighter" in this regard) to inertially launch stovepiped rounds out of the ejection port as The Yeti can. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Local LGS trainer I shot with used these dummy rounds on me. Type 3 malfunction.
He’d place them and dummy rounds in random mags on holster draw, move & shoot drills.

Gets you proficient in clearing a handgun.!!😬😬😳😳

I've had the same experience in various classes

Interesting take. More like just the "rack" option, and keep moving.

That said, being a left-handed shooter, the "tap" option has saved my bacon before. Lemme 'splain. No, no, there is too much. Lemme sum'up.

I once purchased a lovely Sig P290 for super deep concealment. It was teency and lovely.

However, unbeknownst to me, it was made for ONLY right-handed folks. So, the first shooting competition with the new pistol found me coming in 3rd place because the wedding ring on my left finger kept tripping the mag release on the left side of the pistol. So having that extra "tap" step actually kept me in the competition.

Once I removed the ring, it STILL happened two other times simply because of my knuckle's pressure on that left side of the pistol.

I sold that sucker to my father the very next day.

But yes, if you are left-handed, you should ensure you either order a lefty pistol, OR you swap out the mag release RIGHT when you get the pistol to make more kind to yourself. Know what I mean?

Back