testtest

Man dies after accidentally shooting him self

rvanosdale

Operator
Christopher Sean Lampkin was shot in his right inner thigh when his gun went off after watching the commencement at the football field, according to a Lenoir City Police Department report obtained by WATE 6 on Monday. A bullet from a .38 caliber Derringer struck a femoral artery causing significant blood loss.
Died on scene.
This was last week in Lenoir City, Tn. about 2 miles from my house.

One thing is most Derringers do not have a trigger guards ‼️
I've owned a couple of Bond Arms derringers with trigger guards(along with the Bond Arms holster) and I don't think I'd ever own any other brand of Derringer. And I don't think I'd ever own one without a trigger guard. I've seen some pretty badly made derringers out there that seemed to be an accident waiting to happen.
Another plus about Bond Arms derringers is that you can put a bigger grip on some of them to make them easier to grip and control.
Several years ago I'd sometimes carry a Bond Arms Papa Bear(45 Colt) or a S&W 638 Bodyguard. I decided that the Bodyguard(38 special) was more useful for my uses than the Papa Bear.
Nowadays there's a lot of good firearms out there that are safer to carry than a cheapo derringer and aren't that much more expensive than a derringer.

I've owned a couple of Bond Arms derringers with trigger guards(along with the Bond Arms holster) and I don't think I'd ever own any other brand of Derringer. And I don't think I'd ever own one without a trigger guard. I've seen some pretty badly made derringers out there that seemed to be an accident waiting to happen.
Another plus about Bond Arms derringers is that you can put a bigger grip on some of them to make them easier to grip and control.
Several years ago I'd sometimes carry a Bond Arms Papa Bear(45 Colt) or a S&W 638 Bodyguard. I decided that the Bodyguard(38 special) was more useful for my uses than the Papa Bear.
Nowadays there's a lot of good firearms out there that are safer to carry than a cheapo derringer and aren't that much more expensive than a derringer.
I have a Bond snake slayer that I carry around the ranch sometimes with .410 birdshot. Bond Arms deringers are about as safe as they can make them. And it will do a number on a mocasin

I have a Bond snake slayer that I carry around the ranch sometimes with .410 birdshot. Bond Arms deringers are about as safe as they can make them. And it will do a number on a mocasin
The bottom barrel on the Bond Arms Papa Bear was very accurate. It took some practice to adjust to the upper barrel.
I lived in rural Arkansas for about 14 years(live in South Texas now) and dealt with poisonous snakes almost daily. For me the S&W 638 Bodyguard with larger Hogue Grips and 38 special CCI snake shot worked well. I'd carry 3 or 4 rounds of snake shot and 1 or 2 hollow points.
I'm glad I live in a small town in South Texas now and don't have to deal with poisonous snakes so much anymore. I only run into them(rattlesnakes) once in a while when I go by my parents graves at the local cemetery that's out of town.
Down here in rural parts you do have to sometimes deal with illegal aliens, especially toward Rio Grande City and further west. I try to avoid those places as much as possible...:)

The thing about Bond Arms derringers is that most, if not all have trigger guards. But the most important thing is that the hammer has to be pulled back to activate the trigger. I cannot imagine carrying one with the hammer back in the ready to fire position. I'm guessing he did not have the crossbolt safety engaged either. So sad.

Joe

I would like to know the make and model of deringer. Some of the older types have some inherently dangerous features you have to be aware of. But no matter how many safety features you put in someone will find a way around them. Such a sad, unnecessary death
Could this have been a Derringer that didn’t have a trigger guard and somehow got cocked and then had the trigger activated in his pocket?

I honestly don’t know much about Derringers.

I won't speculate what happened in this instance because there is no enough information. I do know there are inherent safety concerns with the older deringers. For example, if the hammer is not on the half cock notch, the firing pin protrudes and can fire the cartridge when closing the barrels down. Many a hand injury or worse occurred in this manner. Also like the old single action revolvers, some can fire if something strikes the hammer or if dropped. Of course even with modern designs it can fire if you are just carelessly jacking around with it. But if you are going to handle any gun you need to know the safety rules and idiosyncracies of the platform.

Back