testtest

March 5, 1770, the Boston massacre

shanneba

Custom
March 5, 1770-

Five colonists were dead or dying—Crispus Attucks, Patrick Carr, Samuel Gray, Samuel Maverick and James Caldwell—and three more were injured.

The British soldiers were put on trial, and patriots John Adams and Josiah Quincy agreed to defend the soldiers in a show of support of the colonial justice system. When the trial ended in December 1770, two British soldiers were found guilty of manslaughter and had their thumbs branded with an “M” for murder as punishment.

If they could only see what would happen to this country now. Maybe they would have said let the British have it! Growing up in Lexington Massachusetts we were drilled about the history of our country in school. I do not think that is the case these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know as they would want it. They definately differentiate between us and them. When I first lived in England I decided to go hang out with the locals and assimilate to the culture so went to the most logical place - the local pub. There I was talking with a few of the locals and they asked me why I wanted to come to England and one of the things I told them was that we both speak English and I was quickly corrected when one in the group looked down his nose at me and told me that they speak English and I on the other hand speak American...

When i first got stationed there 30 years ago they had the same attitude towards me. When i reminded them that if it wasn't for the americans they wouldn't be speaking english they would be speaking german! After the initial shock of my comment they became very friendly. Never had a problem with the attitude again.

Have to smile at that one Eagle Keeper. When my Dutch-born son-in-law expresses frustration or dismay with the American political system I gently ask him if he speaks either German or Russian, and then reply “You’re Welcome” after he answers No.
😏

Have to smile at that one Eagle Keeper. When my Dutch-born son-in-law expresses frustration or dismay with the American political system I gently ask him if he speaks either German or Russian, and then reply “You’re Welcome” after he answers No.
😏
I have several Dutch friends. Most of them actually do speak German and English. And Dutch is very close to German already.

Ask him to translate: Bob Friesj Blift. :cool:

Great City
Great tour of colonial Boston and the colonies
48403E6A-CB32-47D2-8CA0-BE89027C9D01.jpeg
48403E6A-CB32-47D2-8CA0-BE89027C9D01.jpeg

Don't know as they would want it. They definately differentiate between us and them. When I first lived in England I decided to go hang out with the locals and assimilate to the culture so went to the most logical place - the local pub. There I was talking with a few of the locals and they asked me why I wanted to come to England and one of the things I told them was that we both speak English and I was quickly corrected when one in the group looked down his nose at me and told me that they speak English and I on the other hand speak American...
I was shocked (a little) while working for an Ontario based company, that most Canadians, especially east of Manitoba and west of Alberta, look down their noses at us. Many Canadian co-workers spoke of traveling the world with the Canadian maple leaf patches on their clothing and backpacks to let locals (in Australia and NZ, where we are not thought of fondly) know they were not Americans.

one in the group looked down his nose at me and told me that they speak English and I on the other hand speak American...
I agree we speak American with regional accents, but they speak several versions of English. Some are understandable & other aren't.

I was shocked (a little) while working for an Ontario based company, that most Canadians, especially east of Manitoba and west of Alberta, look down their noses at us. Many Canadian co-workers spoke of traveling the world with the Canadian maple leaf patches on their clothing and backpacks to let locals (in Australia and NZ, where we are not thought of fondly) know they were not Americans.
In Australia ? Maybe by the leftists. Australians love Americans. They try to compare their country to ours constantly. They are jealous of us. There are quite a few parallels. We both began as British colonies. The big difference being that we threw the bums out and they had to wait until societal pressure on the world stage forced all the major world powers to set all their colonial "Possessions" free. Very many Australians consider themselves British. My very right wing friend in NSW not only considers himself British, but considers all white people British. lol

The Canadian Prairie provinces identify more with the the northern interior US states than their bookends of Ontario & BC.

I wear many items with a maple leaf or Canada abroad. Canadians usually get a pass.
Americans are thought of like Democrats.
Imposing their will on everyone

In Australia ? Maybe by the leftists. Australians love Americans. They try to compare their country to ours constantly. They are jealous of us. There are quite a few parallels. We both began as British colonies. The big difference being that we threw the bums out and they had to wait until societal pressure on the world stage forced all the major world powers to set all their colonial "Possessions" free. Very many Australians consider themselves British. My very right wing friend in NSW not only considers himself British, but considers all white people British. lol
Not according to the Canadians I worked with for a couple years. Generalizations are never 100% and there are always exceptions, but we are disliked everywhere. My former co-workers made sure they had Canadian flags visible on their backpacks whenever they went outside their accommodations in both Australia and NZ so they would get better service and not mistaken for Americans. This was approximately 10 years ago.

Not according to the Canadians I worked with for a couple years. Generalizations are never 100% and there are always exceptions, but we are disliked everywhere. My former co-workers made sure they had Canadian flags visible on their backpacks whenever they went outside their accommodations in both Australia and NZ so they would get better service and not mistaken for Americans. This was approximately 10 years ago.
I've been to Europe twice. Never had any sense of people disliking me. And I went the first time 11 months after 9/11, wearing a leather jacket, jeans and an American flag doo rag. The Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France. Only issue I ever had was with other Americans in France. And at one gas station in Germany where the attendant pretended not to speak English. Problem for him was I had already pumped the gas. As soon as I said, cool, I guess this gas is free then and started to walk away, he magically learned English.

I was told when I was in Germany that to avoid being overcharged and/or my food being spit in to identify as Canadian if I went to France. Wasn't a problem for me, didn't go to France. Since my family originated in Germany and I could speak some German I stayed away from the typical GI hangouts and had a great time. Prost!

Back