testtest

Massacre at Fort Mims/Creek War

I thought some here might find this interesting.

Nice link, very interesting read, I like these kind of articles, well I like all history articles, thanks Bob!

A good read. I like reading about our early history; specially about the Ohio Valley (I am from west central Ohio) where Tecumseh and the Shawnee lived. The Creek were fighting for their land and their way of life. I imagine we would fight just as hard to keep ours. As for the atrocities; we hear more about how cruel the natives were, after all our side wrote the history but there is no doubt that the settlers could be and were just as cruel.

A good read. I like reading about our early history; specially about the Ohio Valley (I am from west central Ohio) where Tecumseh and the Shawnee lived. The Creek were fighting for their land and their way of life. I imagine we would fight just as hard to keep ours. As for the atrocities; we hear more about how cruel the natives were, after all our side wrote the history but there is no doubt that the settlers could be and were just as cruel.
One thing that struck me about this article is the stories about the Creek taking scalps. Natives ( Indians) learned that neat little trick from the French. The article certainly is written in such a way as to garner sympathy for the white people in the settlements. Hell, even I found myself hoping the Red Sticks got their come uppance and I have Indian blood and a great deal of resentment against the US government and US cavalry for their actions on the plains in the 1800s ( and later).

The fact that Jackson had a bunch of Cherokee and Creek warriors fighting on his side might seem to indicate that the Red Sticks kind of did have it coming. Until you realize two things. First, what Jackson did to those very people later and second, Custer and the US Army had a whole shite load of Indian "Scouts". The fact that Indians had loyalties only to their tribes and were apparently incapable of looking at red men as a whole group as opposed to just another group of people they would either ally with or fight against was ultimately their demise.

Back