testtest

Mastering the Trigger Press: The Sheriff’s Take

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Mastering the trigger press, another good article from the Sheriff.

Practicing with my Kimber Micro nine, the groups are low left. With the best grip I can manage my trigger finger is full on near the first joint, plus the piece has a rough/hard trigger pull. Called Kimber; they won't address the trigger issue, and, if I take it outside for a trigger job the warranty goes bye bye. I conclude the groups are a result of the combination grip/heavy trigger. Do I adjust the sights to group on the bulls eye or aim high right to compensate for this problem?

Practicing with my Kimber Micro nine, the groups are low left. With the best grip I can manage my trigger finger is full on near the first joint, plus the piece has a rough/hard trigger pull. Called Kimber; they won't address the trigger issue, and, if I take it outside for a trigger job the warranty goes bye bye. I conclude the groups are a result of the combination grip/heavy trigger. Do I adjust the sights to group on the bulls eye or aim high right to compensate for this problem?
IDK the correct answer or if there is one, but I always adjust my sights. Then if things change after putting rounds through it, I adjust them again. The trigger might change over time and it is better to always use your sights then to get used to compensating.

One of the Sheriffs better articles, imho... and probably my biggest handgun problem...
@Sumpin : I waffled a bit on your Kimber micro issue, but now I’m leaning strongly toward agreement with Obsrver - don’t change your sight pic or point of aim if the Micro will adjust enough. Aiming center mass for defensive fire oughta be reflexive.

Thanks, Anni. Another good article from the Sheriff.

I wonder, C. Sumpin, if the trigger will improve as the gun breaks in? Maybe shoot a few hundred rounds (if you can find the ammo) and see if it smooths out a little.

I like the suggestion of dry fire practice. Springfield suggested using snap caps, so that is what I do. It is actually pretty easy to see yourself pulling off. I don't do it nearly enough, though.

You seem to understand what can cause shooting low and left. Also shooting any Micro type guns, are somewhat more difficult (slightly) than you compact and even sub compact pistols. I know you said you had your finger almost to the joint but if you don’t, shoot off a bench and try putting a little more finger and go from there. I actually shoot my smallest pistol, the EC9 with my support hand not riding near as high up as I would on any of my other pistols. Not pretty conventional, for my style shooting but for that small of a pistol that’s what I have to do.

Kimber not wanting to take a look at it is kinda weird. If that was the case I’d let a reputable gunsmith do a trigger job, one that mostly took out any creep and just barely lightened it, if it were my carry pistol.

Back