testtest

Maybe counterfeit M1A mags...?

Jfal

Professional
Just a warning....

Recently I saw to my surprise, a new-in-the-factory bag M1A 20-round box mag in a retailer (I'd call him an LGS, but it is 35 miles from home). M1A magazines have been absent from any and all retailers near me for at least 2 years, so I grabbed it and bought it without question. Upon opening, it was 20% covered in cosmoline, or a similar substance, that my Hoppe's bore cleaner had trouble with (It looked like oil through the retail packaging bag). I fired several cycles successfully without issue at the next range visit, however upon a post-use cleaning, I noticed the Springfield Armory "stamp" that is present on all factory mags at the bottom "rear" face of the box, there is no SA logo. The pressed circles on the front face of the box also appear to be slightly "more" pressed than the factory mags I have. Clearly this is an after-market magazine, which is not a big deal, but it was packaged in a SA retail bag and sold at a SA factory retail price, at a factory-authorized LGS.

Yes I maybe got "taken", but its not a big deal over $56....and the magazine works. But it is certainly different than all of the other M1A mags I have...and that damn cosmoline was VERY difficult to remove. Beware.

And what the hell....M1A's are everywhere but finding spare mags is like finding a 4-leaf clover.

Springfield Armory store has them.
I know they do, and I really don't need more, but when an LGS has one I tend to buy it. Just letting people know they might take a closer look at one they might come across...

And this was the first spare M1A mag (20 round) I saw in 2 years at an LGS. Keep in mind, I visit gun stores within 150 miles of my home...

And this is my first instance of seeing a counterfeit M1A magazine...

Not that I know it was/is counterfeit...maybe that is normal for retail mags sold?

I know they do, and I really don't need more, but when an LGS has one I tend to buy it. Just letting people know they might take a closer look at one they might come across...

And this was the first spare M1A mag (20 round) I saw in 2 years at an LGS. Keep in mind, I visit gun stores within 150 miles of my home...

And this is my first instance of seeing a counterfeit M1A magazine...

Not that I know it was/is counterfeit...maybe that is normal for retail mags sold?
Ok…
I only mentioned that because you said finding spare mags was like finding a four leaf clover.

Except for when I had AR’s I get my extra magazines from Springfield this way I feel confident there going to work.

Check Mate Industries makes and private labels magazines for Springfield Armory Inc.
Vintage USGI, C.M.I. (new USGI), SAI (made by C.M.I.), and vintage Chinese Norinco / Poly Tech are all good to go.

Post a clear picture or two of the magazines you bought, perhaps we can I.D. it.
From what you have describes, it sounds like a Norinco / Poly Tech magazine.

Here they are...I never noticed the lack of the SA logo until I was scrubbing (hard) to get the cosmoline off...

There are some other tiny differences, but very small

And the non-SA logo mag was packaged in a factory SA baggie (the old, wrinkled beat-up plastic bags they normally use for retail packaging on M1A mags with a small SA label on the front.)

The "counterfeit" is on your right side in each picture.

Attachments

• Mags 2.JPG
    Mags 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 65
  • Mags 1.JPG
    Mags 1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • Mags 3.JPG
    Mags 3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
In the 2.jpg if you zoom in, it almost looks like the SA logo is there but the mag coating filled it in.
You might be right, but I can't tell with my eyes without a magnifier...which I do not have. Since it works just as well as the others I'm not too worried. Just thought it strange. Maybe its the difference between one supplier to another with their coating process.

The easy way to strip cosmoline:

Get a bucket filled with gasoline or kerosene and just submerge the entire broken down mag overnight.

Here they are...I never noticed the lack of the SA logo until I was scrubbing (hard) to get the cosmoline off...

There are some other tiny differences, but very small

And the non-SA logo mag was packaged in a factory SA baggie (the old, wrinkled beat-up plastic bags they normally use for retail packaging on M1A mags with a small SA label on the front.)

The "counterfeit" is on your right side in each picture.
The follower looks completely different.

Back