testtest

Microtech UCX85

Sld1959

Hellcat
I always thought that "switch blades" were rather delicate and gimmicky, not something a serious knife guy would use.until I got my Christmas present from my wife this past year, a Microtech UCX85. After using it the past few months as my EDC left hand knife. I am here to tell you, they are a real knife, and handy too. I carry it in my dominant side pocket, left, and the Cricket in my off hand change pocket. The 85 is, naturally, 85 percent the size of the original UCX.

It is about as solid as any folder I have used, I have done everything from cutting steak to rope and feed bags to whittling. It holds a serious edge has no blade wobble in 5 months hard use. It opens and closes by the press forwards or back of the activation button.

A nice feature is the disconnect, if you fire the blade into something, even cloth, which arrests its forward momentum it unlocks the blade so it won't go further. This is a safety in case it fired in the pocket. You may get a cut, but not a life threatening puncture.

It's really well designed, a great pocket clip and a subtle S recurve shape to the handle and positive knurling in places for positive grip and traction. The glass breaker works too...

Overall I am very pleased with it. Now I am planning to get the full sized version.

20210529_130925.jpg

This is not a switchblade. It's an OTF ( out the front) auto commonly called a stilletto.

It is a very nice one.

Have used this now for just about a year and am constantly impressed with it.

I follow thier advice and blow it out monthly with canned air and then put in a few drops of a light lubricant, I use Tuff Glide, have used this on knives for years.

It's not quite as pretty as it started out. But that's not a fault with the coating, it has been banged around a bit and has some wear marks.

I have yet to find a task it failed at. And I am really getting used to the one handed operation, you really learn to depend on that pretty quick.

It also makes a great "fidget spinner" replacement, especially if you want to irrate your wife.

I like Microtech knives and have three. I use them for EDC knives even the teal handle Ultratech. The most useful is the black handled Combat Troodon because it's double action which means the silver slide button on top will deploy and retract the blade. It's truly a one handed/thumb operated knife. Every couple of months or so, I swap out knives in this case for my EDC. Not sure what I was carrying at the time of the photo as that's not all the knives I have.

0513171909b.jpg

Back