testtest

Misuse of the Phrase "Legally Registered"

Is the term “legally registered” is meant to indoctrinate the population into accepting the registration of firearms as ordinary, well-established, and desirable?

Why Mainstream Media Continually Misuses the Phrase, 'Legally Registered' - GunsAmerica Digest

I agree. And it's annoying. Like the show Longmire. In one episode the compost lady gets the stink eye from the sheriff because he sees her M&P .40 on her hip. She quickly points out that it's legally registered. At least one other scene in the series they refer to a gun being legally registered. As far as I know Wyoming doesn't register any guns.

I have not viewed the link and my comments are not intended to address anything found in the linked article

Why cant it simply mean that a weapon is registered in accordance with established law. I have no such requirement where I live, I dont particularly support the idea of registration but why do those simple words have to come with a quasi-conspiracy attached? The term has seemingly been around for my entire life

Occasionally you'll here of programs to take "illegal guns" off of city streets. I have often wondered what that means. The media never explains if these are guns that are carried by felons who can't legally possess them, individuals that possess stolen guns, those that carry concealed without a permit, or those that are under age. To me an illegal gun would be an unregistered NFA weapon.

Occasionally you'll here of programs to take "illegal guns" off of city streets. I have often wondered what that means. The media never explains if these are guns that are carried by felons who can't legally possess them, individuals that possess stolen guns, those that carry concealed without a permit, or those that are under age. To me an illegal gun would be an unregistered NFA weapon.
If we are simply talking "common language" I would take illegal guns to be : guns which are illegally possessed by others. Guns which are stolen or possessed by persons forbidden to carry or own guns and guns which are altered to the degree that they do not or cannot conform to law.

I'm not convinced that the use of "legally registered" is anything more than a display of how little members of the media know about guns. I doubt that most reporters or hollywood writers have any working knowledge of firearms or firearm laws. I attribute this stop more to stupidity than conspiracy.

If we are simply talking "common language" I would take illegal guns to be : guns which are illegally possessed by others. Guns which are stolen or possessed by persons forbidden to carry or own guns and guns which are altered to the degree that they do not or cannot conform to law.
Yes but it's the common language that is fed by the media to people who are not knowledgeable of current gun laws. In effect the media distorts the facts whether by intent or not. In 1997 the City of Richmond used a federal program called Project Exile. Project Exile shifted the prosecution of illegal gun possession offenses to federal court, where they carried a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in federal prison under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, rather than in state court.

I'm not convinced that the use of "legally registered" is anything more than a display of how little members of the media know about guns. I doubt that most reporters or hollywood writers have any working knowledge of firearms or firearm laws. I attribute this stop more to stupidity than conspiracy.
Very well said and likely very correct. - Am not a mind reader! Their same distorted fictional fantasy and ignorance can be used to create conspiracies though as some fail to recognize reality, truth and common sense? Look at movie War of the Worlds for example? Hysteria and conspiracy are too often the same thing? Like Salem Witch hunts?

Simply put, no matter the intent, firearm registration of any sort is a violation of 2nd Amendment. Firearm registration is an infringement all by itself.

Last edited:
I have not viewed the link and my comments are not intended to address anything found in the linked article

Why cant it simply mean that a weapon is registered in accordance with established law. I have no such requirement where I live, I dont particularly support the idea of registration but why do those simple words have to come with a quasi-conspiracy attached? The term has seemingly been around for my entire life
Not to be rude, but you probably should read the link. It explains your questions in detail with specific examples. It’s a good article.

Not to be rude, but you probably should read the link. It explains your questions in detail with specific examples. It’s a good article.

No problem Brother.. I do not consider your words to be rude. I accept that I am probably going remain in the minority in regards to participating in the book club aspect of some threads. I look forward to interacting with members here but I am not so interested in running off to read an article, digest the finer points and then run back here to talk about it. I continue to have confidence that members here have plenty enough experience to discuss all the topics that I might be interested in.

Yeah, an “illegal gun” would be along the line of a semi-auto that’s been altered to fire full auto in violation of the law or possessed by someone without the class-whatever license... but, as is so often the case, the media is probably meaning ‘any gun in the hands of someone not legal to possess it’.
Face it, we’re not paying any attention to our use of language anymore - there’s something of an art to good communication - and the media no longer trains itself on this. They just throw out terminology like the corporate world uses buzzwords.
People feeling sick often say something like “I think I need to go get an antibiotic” without even considering what they’re coming down with... just a catchphrase. (I work at a hospital in the engineering dept.:) )

I think when it comes to gun ownership today's media operates on the big lie theory or more commonly known as Goebbels’ principle. The point being if you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. Goebbels' also believed that the state must repress dissent because the truth is the greatest enemy. The anti-gun propaganda machine grinds away 24/7 repeating the big lie. Day in and day out.

Back