Montana Mountain Lion

Cats are not always a domestic pet.

d5gijtwl-1280.jpg

Kitties get big in MT.

montana-lion-hunting.jpg

I've seen bigger...

29680159_1.jpg

Last edited:
At first I thought this might be another "Bridget" follow-up to the cougar stalking article she posted :D. Nice 429 Desert Eagle she has. I have the DE in 50AE and was thinking of getting the 429 barrel as the mags and frame are compatible to the 50AE. It's Over $400+, but still cheaper than the whole handgun would be.

While serious cat hunting occurs in the winter anytime one is out and about you shouldn't forget that something can be/is likely watching you in the woods around my parts. And with griz expanding that's another set of eyes on you.

MT isn't Disneyland like some think.

3cb7a9da-1b89-4d7c-9040-a3a5f7f31615-lion_harvest_map.png

At first I thought this might be another "Bridget" follow-up to the cougar stalking article she posted :D. Nice 429 Desert Eagle she has. I have the DE in 50AE and was thinking of getting the 429 barrel as the mags and frame are compatible to the 50AE. It's Over $400+, but still cheaper than the whole handgun would be.

The .429 may shoot a little flatter than the .50.

I agree Keystone19250, but I also think they need to have a healthy fear of humans and hunting them is a good way to maintain that fear. They are nice looking cats.

Cats are a bit different than canids that do develop a fear/wary.

We have cats in the valley bottoms in the winter all the time & folks freak out when they see one take a deer anywhere within eyesight.

The MT F&G monitor the populations and when the deer population is up the cat population goes up, as well as human/wildlife conflicts. Then management has to step in.
I completely understand population control it’s just not being a hunter I find it very difficult to view such a beautiful animal killed, I’m not against the reason why I’m just stating my opinion on how I feel.

People don't realize how big cats/lions can get. I've seen bigger than those in the pics.
They are certainly larger than I thought. Here in PA., they've been hunted out of existence with the last one supposedly shot in the late 1800. Mount Nittany used to be a hot spot for them (who the Penn State Nittany Lions college football team is name after). People are starting to currently report seeing them throughout the State and one was shot in Connecticut in 2011, so the thinking is maybe they are making a come back. They were the Eastern Mountain Lion variety and I'm not sure if they were as large as the ones you have shown in those pictures.

They are certainly larger than I thought. Here in PA., they've been hunted out of existence with the last one supposedly shot in the late 1800. Mount Nittany used to be a hot spot for them (who the Penn State Nittany Lions college football team is name after). People are starting to currently report seeing them throughout the State and one was shot in Connecticut in 2011, so the thinking is maybe they are making a come back. They were the Eastern Mountain Lion variety and I'm not sure if they were as large as the ones you have shown in those pictures.

There was on that got killed by a car in Connecticut that originated in the Black Hills of the Dakotas, was tracked back east thru the upper midwest, southern Canada then into the NY/CT area when it was killed.

One of the longest migrations for the species.

Another example of long distance predator migrations is a few years back Canada lynx were reintroduced into Colorado with animals relocated from northern Alberta.

One male lynx didn't like things so he took off and headed back north through hundreds of miles of non-typical habitat like open plains (they like high-elevation/boreal forests) back to northern Alberta.

BTW the population in CO was re-established.

A number of years ago, I saw a photo of a dead Mountain Lion and a Bighorn Sheep, on Glacier Parks Going to the Sun Highway, near Logan Pass. It was early season and road crews were plowing snow. The only thing they could figure was the cat tried to ambush the sheep on a cliff, and over they went. If I recall correctly, it was nearly a full curl ram.

Regards,
Bill

I would love to feel the pelt. I had a cat blanket in Europe, the best blanket ever. Yes, I do like the animals live but everything needs to be in balance. Especially our perceptions of others that might feel differently. There is always more to an opinion than the surface. This is why its important to respect another rather than tolerate. Tolerance is what leads to the stupidity on our streets. Respect, allows us to appreciate perspectives and opinions. I think this is what I appreciate most about this forum.

Back