testtest

More on those front sights not glowing

ajz1966

Alpha
Has Springfield ever addressed the front sight not glowing on brand new pistols? I got a Hellcat in February of 2020 and the tritium sight had the weakest glow. You'd have to sit in a darkened room for a minute till your eyes adjusted to see that there was some kind of luminescence. So, I send the slide back for warranty work. The new sight didn't glow at all. It was rather disappointing to lose use of the gun for a few weeks and the tech not confirm the repair before returning it. But, of bigger issue is, the internet is filled with people complaining that the tritium sights are not glowing on many of their new pistols and I can confirm the replacements do not either. I'd like to see Springfield acknowledge an issue. Perhaps they could go after their supplier for giving them junk sights as these things should glow for 7 years. Top it off, it's a $100 bucks out of my pocket to buy an aftermarket sight that does work to fix an option that should have come working in the first place.

Has Springfield ever addressed the front sight not glowing on brand new pistols? I got a Hellcat in February of 2020 and the tritium sight had the weakest glow. You'd have to sit in a darkened room for a minute till your eyes adjusted to see that there was some kind of luminescence. So, I send the slide back for warranty work. The new sight didn't glow at all. It was rather disappointing to lose use of the gun for a few weeks and the tech not confirm the repair before returning it. But, of bigger issue is, the internet is filled with people complaining that the tritium sights are not glowing on many of their new pistols and I can confirm the replacements do not either. I'd like to see Springfield acknowledge an issue. Perhaps they could go after their supplier for giving them junk sights as these things should glow for 7 years. Top it off, it's a $100 bucks out of my pocket to buy an aftermarket sight that does work to fix an option that should have come working in the first place.
Tritium sights can be defective. Just reach out to them via phone and i'm willing to bet they will replace. Again.
I had the same issue with the X-Ray 3 night sights on my P365XL as well as my fiancee's P365. Sig replaced them in very short order and I would bet the farm Springfield will do the same.

…it’s another Commie plot.

Are you allowing your eyes to adjust to the darkend environment?

If you come from a lighted area into a dark area any tritium will appear more faint than if you were already acclimated to the dark area as your eyes will pickup the glowing light a lot easier.

Tritium sights aren't flashlights and are only a minor visual aid to those working in a dark environment.

Just like any product there is a potential that sights could be defective and this could be addressed through your warranty.

Have you had the opportunity to compare the sights to another similar setup?

Last edited:
As others have noted, in order for our eyes to see the glow from tritium laps, typically, we need at least to have begun dark-adaptation: not "being dark adapted," in the canonical sense - rather, just that our eyes have adjusted to darkened surroundings.

I explain it as the reverse of heading outside from a movie theater. :)

It does stand to-reason that the more intense the glow, the easier/quicker it is for our eyes to pick up. However, for most typical tritium night sights, there just isn't sufficient brightness. "Larger" sights like the XS-Big Dot, particularly when newer, can make for an easier/faster transition, but even so, a lot of it depends on just how fast *_your_* eyes start to adapt from the transition.

To-wit, this is why sights like the Trijicon HD and others similar use a phosphorescent painted ring on the front post that highlights the tritium lamp. Much like the "lume" painted onto the hands/dials of some modern sportswatches, this not only allows for easy pick-up of the front post under daylight or otherwise brighter conditions, but with that painted ring being "glow in the dark," it allows for a much more intensely visible reference point on that front post as the shooter transitions from a brighter ambient to a darker ambient (e.g. stepping into a darkened warehouse after having drawn the gun while outside [thereby allowing that "glow in the dark" paint to "recharge"). While this "glow in the dark" ring fades quickly with time, the idea is that the shooter's eyes would be sufficiently acclimated to the dark by that point, allowing for the ability to pick up the dimmer tritium element.

As @10mmLife noted, without seeing the sights in-person, I think it's hard for us to say whether your initial set was truly defective, @ajz1966 , or if your expectations were possibly a little too high. From my search on XDTalk, there's only one thread with complaints of the front tritium lamp....but I do understand that's a single-point source that I'm referencing from.

That said, physical damage to the tritium lamp is definitely possible, as @ddeuce22 noted, and many times this comes about as a result of installation issues. I, too, am disappointed that your replacement was sent out defective, but it is possible that there was only a very, very small leak at the time it was pressed-in and passed Q/C...only to arrive to you after the gas has fully dissipated. In your shoes, I would try to contact SA again and let them know of the fact that the replacement set arrived DOA, and see if they are willing to make-right with some kind of extra compensation for your time and frustration.

So:

Tritium doesn’t glow bright enough to stand out in daylight; just in a dark or dim light.

As others have noted, in order for our eyes to see the glow from tritium laps, typically, we need at least to have begun dark-adaptation: not "being dark adapted," in the canonical sense - rather, just that our eyes have adjusted to darkened surroundings.

I explain it as the reverse of heading outside from a movie theater. :)

It does stand to-reason that the more intense the glow, the easier/quicker it is for our eyes to pick up. However, for most typical tritium night sights, there just isn't sufficient brightness. "Larger" sights like the XS-Big Dot, particularly when newer, can make for an easier/faster transition, but even so, a lot of it depends on just how fast *_your_* eyes start to adapt from the transition.

To-wit, this is why sights like the Trijicon HD and others similar use a phosphorescent painted ring on the front post that highlights the tritium lamp. Much like the "lume" painted onto the hands/dials of some modern sportswatches, this not only allows for easy pick-up of the front post under daylight or otherwise brighter conditions, but with that painted ring being "glow in the dark," it allows for a much more intensely visible reference point on that front post as the shooter transitions from a brighter ambient to a darker ambient (e.g. stepping into a darkened warehouse after having drawn the gun while outside [thereby allowing that "glow in the dark" paint to "recharge"). While this "glow in the dark" ring fades quickly with time, the idea is that the shooter's eyes would be sufficiently acclimated to the dark by that point, allowing for the ability to pick up the dimmer tritium element.

As @10mmLife noted, without seeing the sights in-person, I think it's hard for us to say whether your initial set was truly defective, @ajz1966 , or if your expectations were possibly a little too high. From my search on XDTalk, there's only one thread with complaints of the front tritium lamp....but I do understand that's a single-point source that I'm referencing from.

That said, physical damage to the tritium lamp is definitely possible, as @ddeuce22 noted, and many times this comes about as a result of installation issues. I, too, am disappointed that your replacement was sent out defective, but it is possible that there was only a very, very small leak at the time it was pressed-in and passed Q/C...only to arrive to you after the gas has fully dissipated. In your shoes, I would try to contact SA again and let them know of the fact that the replacement set arrived DOA, and see if they are willing to make-right with some kind of extra compensation for your time and frustration.
I like and agree with what you wrote. Very comprehensive.

That said, there are real differences between brands. The aftermarkets on my XDs are far brighter than the factory supplied one on the Hellcat.

When discussing dive watches, most do not have tritium but rather are phosphorus powered, and even they vary from brand to brand. My Seiko dive watch glows brighter than my Rolex submariner but not longer. When it comes to the tritium dive watches there is a huge difference. Ball Roadmasters seem to be the brightest which is why I bought one. They even have powered bezels which can be very important on deeper dives.

^ Tritium's half-life is around 12 years, but with most applications, usable life can be both considerably shorter or longer, depending on the end-user's personal preferences in terms of brightness.

Even at half-life, most folks actually don't notice that much difference.

I like and agree with what you wrote. Very comprehensive.

That said, there are real differences between brands. The aftermarkets on my XDs are far brighter than the factory supplied one on the Hellcat.

Agreed.

From which OE the tubes are sourced from have been in continual debate on the XDTalk forums, both in the Hellcat context as well as for their other models. Some have noted what seems to be patterns in terms of the brightness (or lack thereof) of various brands, but I have a feeling that this may itself be affected by installation issues. I wonder how they all look, just coming off the line, at these different manufacturers.

Regardless, you're absolutely right - this is something that I should have considered when I posted my reply above, and I'm glad you are here to correct me! :giggle: (y)

When discussing dive watches, most do not have tritium but rather are phosphorus powered, and even they vary from brand to brand. My Seiko dive watch glows brighter than my Rolex submariner but not longer. When it comes to the tritium dive watches there is a huge difference. Ball Roadmasters seem to be the brightest which is why I bought one. They even have powered bezels which can be very important on deeper dives.

Agreed as well - Super-LumiNova and the like really have made great strides since the 80s, and I remain surprised that there isn't more of a market here in terms of firearms use, but maybe there's just not a practical application. As-is, whether shooters like the "day-glow" feature as seen on the Trijicon HD and similar from their competitors seems to be split. Given that too much light can cause the sight body to blur, I can't help but wonder maybe this avenue has already been explored by the various makes, and rejected for one reason or another?

I unfortunately do not have the necessary depth of knowledge to really equate what's been used on/in firearms sights with what appears in fine wristwatches. 😅 I love watches, but for the time being, I'm stuck on "teh poors" side of things - maybe when my little one finishes school? 😁 That said, I do understand the differences in material/volume between a T-100 versus T-25, and Night Fission's website FAQ cites that their sights have, comparatively, "30% more tritium." I think that this wraps well back to the first portion of your post.

Thanks for stepping-in to clarify as well as to offer even more/better information, where I am lacking! (y)

From a dive watch web site:

1. Tritium Source: Most companies use the same tritium source for their watches – which is Switzerland’s MB-Microtec AG. They are the best in their field, and all watches with tritium gas tubes will have their name engraved on the casing.
  2. Warranty Length: These types of watches should have a long warranty. Some companies provide a 10-year warranty while others offer a warranty as long as 25 years. It’s obvious that you should look for the ones with the biggest warranties.
  3. Brightness Level: Some watches are brighter than others – and this will depend on the amount of tritium that has been added to the watch. Some watches will be referred to as T100 (the brightest) or T25 (the lowest brightness).
  4. Color: Do you have a specific color that you have in mind, or do you just want something that you can see no matter the environment? In that case, green might be a very suitable option. However, there are many great and fancy types that you can choose from.

From a dive watch web site:

1. Tritium Source: Most companies use the same tritium source for their watches – which is Switzerland’s MB-Microtec AG. They are the best in their field, and all watches with tritium gas tubes will have their name engraved on the casing.
  2. Warranty Length: These types of watches should have a long warranty. Some companies provide a 10-year warranty while others offer a warranty as long as 25 years. It’s obvious that you should look for the ones with the biggest warranties.
  3. Brightness Level: Some watches are brighter than others – and this will depend on the amount of tritium that has been added to the watch. Some watches will be referred to as T100 (the brightest) or T25 (the lowest brightness).
  4. Color: Do you have a specific color that you have in mind, or do you just want something that you can see no matter the environment? In that case, green might be a very suitable option. However, there are many great and fancy types that you can choose from.

^ My understanding is that the "T-100" versus "T-25" designation -for wristwatches- doesn't reflect (sorry, no pun intended :p ) "brightness" directly, but rather is the total amount of tritium contained in the watch (at 100 versus 20 mCi, respectively), as a sum-total of the tubes used. That is, the only way to make the tube brighter is to increase both the amount of tritium gas as well as the phosphor surface of the tube (thus, a larger tube). Holding the tubes at the same size and color means that they will be the same brightness (assuming tubes of equal age).

I'm not sure how this applies to gun sights, though....

The tritium sight on my P365SAS is as described above, nearly invisible until your eyes have adjusted to darkness. Bright as heck in dim light (fiber-optic combined with tritium). Very hard to test this on a new purchase...will the store allow you go take 5 minutes in a dark bathroom or closet (in the store) with the new pistol? If not, it's hard to test the feature in a store.

Are you allowing your eyes to adjust to the darkend environment?

If you come from a lighted area into a dark area any tritium will appear more faint than if you were already acclimated to the dark area as your eyes will pickup the glowing light a lot easier.

Tritium sights aren't flashlights and are only a minor visual aid to those working in a dark environment.

Just like any product there is a potential that sights could be defective and this could be addressed through your warranty.

Have you had the opportunity to compare the sights to another si

Perhaps I'm expecting too much. If ones eyes must get acclimated to see night sights, I'd have to say they are nothing more than a gimmick and would offer no aid in a darkened house or alley to assist with point shooting. The green glow of my sight was barely visible in my darkened hallway. It would offer nothing in a defensive encounter.
20220125_124240.jpg

Perhaps I'm expecting too much. If ones eyes must get acclimated to see night sights, I'd have to say they are nothing more than a gimmick and would offer no aid in a darkened house or alley to assist with point shooting. The green glow of my sight was barely visible in my darkened hallway. It would offer nothing in a defensive encounter.View attachment 24370
These are good for Home defense when you hear a bump in the night or are working in a dark environment before the adrenaline dump of an actual situation. No product is perfect and a weapon mounted flashlight would be a much better choice if you're intentions are to get the best chance of hitting what your shooting at night.

These are good for Home defense when you hear a bump in the night or are working in a dark environment before the adrenaline dump of an actual situation. No product is perfect and a weapon mounted flashlight would be a much better choice if you're intentions are to get the best chance of hitting what your shooting at night.
In the case of the Hellcat, the U notch rear sight does not glow so there is no way to align front and back sight in darkness. It's all in how well you know the feel of the pistol in your hand and if you have a good natural point of aim. I don't think one could even aquire the front sight in darkness with that dim glow. So, I still feel the tritium front sight is not useful. At least for me it isn't. But, I agree, a light is the most useful item. I also like a high decibel home alarm and night vision cameras in the house now that they are $35. Then you can shelter in place, watch them on the camera and get them stuck in tight hallways where they have no cover and a blind turn into what will ultimately become their worst day 🙂

In the case of the Hellcat, the U notch rear sight does not glow so there is no way to align front and back sight in darkness. It's all in how well you know the feel of the pistol in your hand and if you have a good natural point of aim. I don't think one could even aquire the front sight in darkness with that dim glow. So, I still feel the tritium front sight is not useful. At least for me it isn't. But, I agree, a light is the most useful item. I also like a high decibel home alarm and night vision cameras in the house now that they are $35. Then you can shelter in place, watch them on the camera and get them stuck in tight hallways where they have no cover and a blind turn into what will ultimately become their worst day 🙂
The Tritium sights can go bad and they do go bad on occasion and if you aren't satisfied I would reach out to SA customer service about the issue.

I have factory installed Mepro night sights on a CZ SP01 that are borderline useless because the dots are so small they barely glow but that's the way this model comes. They are good sights with a bad design. I don't have a Hellcat currently so I can't exactly relate to what you are experiencing with yours.

Back