testtest

My 10mm vs. a Mountain Lion

I’ve owned numerous 10mm's (down to two now; a 1076 and a first year Delta Elite), and while I like the round, if I’m going into dangerous quadruped territory, I’d much rather have a revolver in a magnum caliber, if for no other reason, the ability to make contact shots...but the much improved power is a big bonus.

That’s my take, at least.

I remember my dad telling me the story of his father who as a young man was stalked/chased by a mountain lion when he was hunting in the Blue Ridge Mtns. The story goes that he was stripping-off articles of clothing to slow the big cat down as he rapidly made his way to the house. The cat would get to a piece of clothing and mess with/shred it. They say that by the time granddad got to the house he was down to nothing but his rifle, socks, and boxer shorts. :)

I remember my dad telling me the story of his father who as a young man was stalked/chased by a mountain lion when he was hunting in the Blue Ridge Mtns. The story goes that he was stripping-off articles of clothing to slow the big cat down as he rapidly made his way to the house. The cat would get to a piece of clothing and mess with/shred it. They say that by the time granddad got to the house he was down to nothing but his rifle, socks, and boxer shorts. :)
That's a great story!

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled My 10mm vs. a Mountain Lion and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/my-10mm-vs-a-mountain-lion/.

... you’re mistake here was taking your cat with you. A mountain lion can smell another feline, especially one that hasn’t been fixed, from a great distance... it’s a territory issue. So, in all likelihood, the mountain lion was tracking your cat and not you. That said, the 10mm is my favorite round in the back country.

I enjoyed your article, Bridget. Of course I HAD to start surfing the internet to research the differences between a 9mm and 10mm. I was very surprised at how much more punch the 10mm packs! It compares very favorably with a .45. I just may have to see if I can afford one!

The XDM is a great option, I’m a lefty and I really like the 1911 controls.. and weight doesn’t bother me on my hip!
haha ! thanks so much, my cat is a character! Something not included in this article is the fact then when my cat saw the mountain lion she looked at it like it was her mom and she wanted to run off with it! silly thing haha
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled My 10mm vs. a Mountain Lion and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/my-10mm-vs-a-mountain-lion/.

Who makes that holster?
Thank you

I like your Springfield 1911 Range Officer Elite 10mm. I have a Springfield Range Officer Champion, in 45acp. For some reason, I've always been able to shoot better with a 4", rather than a 5" barrel. My trigger is so smooth and around 3lbs. This 4" barrel is a real tack driver. I am always impressed, with the incredible accuracy of this gun. I have it loaded with Sig Sauer Sig V-Crown 200 gr. hollow points. I think that will take care of anything we have here in Florida. Carry it always, not all of the animals, are in the woods.

Attachments

• 24274.jpg
    24274.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 251
We are on our third trail kitty. Surprisingly good hikers and free range campsite companions. I suppose there is the risk that a domestic cat might "call in" predators, but I think they can sound the alarm, too. Our cats do get a bit vocal when we first get out of sight of the motorcoach and there have been moments when Jasper sounded the alarm with a guttural growl...suggesting that something was out there and allowing me to bring a firearm into readiness. But I've never gotten eyes on a threat. A friend had a pet bobcat she raised from a kitten who was an extraordinary trail companion and had some dog-like characteristics in being quite protective of her.

Customer of mine in Spokane, WA described a hike he took in the mountain woods north of town with his son. He kept feeling eyes on him, kept turning around and seeing nothing. Upon turning around for return hike (10-12 miles into the hike), he found mountain lion tracks had been trailing him and his son for over 8 miles...your story (the OP) is entirely believable!

Great article . Here in Southern Illinois , I herd for years there were no Bob cats nor any Cougars . Then one day ( around 1970 ) I was walking an old road bed when I came to a small mud hole about a foot in diameter . It was mostly dried up and was to the point that if stepped in would leave your impression but not distort. In the center of this mud hole was a print that looked like it had been made by one of the neighbor's **** hounds except for one thing and it took me a few minutes to realize just what I was seeing. There were no claw marks . I had on thick leather gloves and I spread my fingers out and fit them perfectly in the track.

All of a sudden my little .22 rifle just didn't feel big enough in my hands. LOL It was 1981 before I saw my first Bob cat in this area and several years later before I saw the first cougar .

I have killed two Western cougars in my time and both with a single action Ruger in .22WRM. (Both were treed and I was on horseback.) I also live in Illinois and have encountered both bobcats and bobcat tracks despite the IDOC's pronouncements regarding bobcats in Illinois. All of that said I think a .22WRM would kill any native four legged predator we would likely encounter in the woods of Illinois except a very rare black bear.

I have killed two Western cougars in my time and both with a single action Ruger in .22WRM. (Both were treed and I was on horseback.) I also live in Illinois and have encountered both bobcats and bobcat tracks despite the IDOC's pronouncements regarding bobcats in Illinois. All of that said I think a .22WRM would kill any native four legged predator we would likely encounter in the woods of Illinois except a very rare black bear.

A world record Grizzly (at the time) was killed by a woman with a 22. I think it's still on display at a southwest WY I-80 rest area.

A good video on bear.

@Bridget_fabel not having seen this article when first posted I enjoyed reading about your experience’s, your very fortunate on that day as it could have ended differently. I’ve seen many articles and videos of people taking their cats on hikes in the woods and it’s great to see them out with their owners, it’s also a good idea you no longer on some hikes take Brookie with you. if on that day you had to discharge your gun your little cat would have reacted uncontrollably to the sound of the gun fire and could have escaped your grasp and run away or at the least acted violently and hurt you of course not meaning to. Keep writing these great articles and stay safe.

Back