testtest

My 1911 EMP 40 S&W

62strat

Alpha
Hello fellow gun lovers!
I'm fairly new to guns but I am making up for it with enthusiasm and gusto.
I'm writing this because I love Springfield Armory but I have to vent a little about my latest purchase.
I bought a 1911 EMP 40 S&W and was so pumped when I got it that I went straight to the range to break it in.
I have never been so disappointed with a firearm before.
From the 1st round, I had problems.
With the first shot, the spent cartridge did not eject.
With the 2nd shot, the same thing happened.
I would have to manually clear the chamber and the following round would jam.
I spent an hour with the gun using several different loads with the same problem.
I had to pull the slide so much I ended up with blisters on my hand.
I had read some reviews of people having issues but this was way out of hand.
I have since sent my pistol back to the factory and I'm waiting to hear back.
I can't help but be worried that I may have purchased the wrong pistol.
If you have this gun and have experience with it, can you let me know what that experience is.
I'm hoping to fall in love with this gun but right now, I'm very dubious.
Thanks in advance.

Michael

Does the casing get stuck halfway out of the chamber or not at all. You could be limp wristing if the casing is getting caught as it is ejected.

Or possibly it could be your mags. Does Wilson Combat make
Mags for the EMP? I would try a couple of those if that’s an option.

Definitely not my wrist. I tried several brands including Winchester, Hornady and Federal. Most of the time it would not come out at all. Occasionally it would come out half way. Only twice out of about 150 rounds was I able to take 2 shots without a problem. Thank you for the reply though.

I don't know if you did or not but I have always taken a new firearm of any kind apart , cleaned it , lubed it , and then went to the range with it.

I am sure they will get it fixed for you.

I didn't do that with this one but I'm sure it was not going to fix this particular gun. Springfield has it now and I have 100% confidence that they will fix the issue. I'm just hoping it's not a problem with that model in general. They stopped producing it and it seemed strange to me since a 40.cal 1911 with a 3" barrel seems like it would be popular CC gun. I guess I'll have to see over time.

I have this same pistol and carry it daily-other than needing a extractor adjustment all has been 100%-
I am guessing that is exactly what is wrong with your EMP.
I have both the 3 and 4 inch models and will not think of parting with them.
If you need spare magazines they are kinda rare-best bet would be to monitor MidWest Gun Works or possibly also Midway.

I do. It's my baby.
my-baby-front.jpg

Yea. I like LP better too but this was my fathers and he passed it on to me. I have a 72 LP GoldTop and a LP HP from 2017. I just love guitars. My current favorite is a Suhr S with SSH pickup config. Best of both worlds. Guns and Guitar. Had I known how good they were together I would have saved a lot of money on dates in college.

Yea. I like LP better too but this was my fathers and he passed it on to me. I have a 72 LP GoldTop and a LP HP from 2017. I just love guitars. My current favorite is a Suhr S with SSH pickup config. Best of both worlds. Guns and Guitar. Had I known how good they were together I would have saved a lot of money on dates in college.

Im really a bassist but I’ve always played guitar. I’ve lost count of how many guitars and basses I own. Nothing too special though. I have a ‘74 SG special and a ‘74 Rickenbacker 4001. Both all original. My new number 1 is a 2015 Mike Starr sig Spector Euro4 LX. Best bass I’ve ever played. It replaced the 4001 as my main bass. I have 3 or 4 American Teles, my favorite being a 2014 with Texas Specials. I have a lot of really nice amps though. I have a ‘96 SVT CL, a ‘91 SVT II Non Pro ( my favorite bass amp on the planet) and 3 different era Ampeg 810s ( fridge). Then I have a 1961 Fender Brown Deluxe ( Keef’s favorite amp) which I put an Alnico Cream 90 in and NOS Blackplates. All preamp tubes are NOS ( Amperex Bugle Boys, Telefunken, Mazda Silver Anode, etc.). I had someone on line offer me 3k for that amp. I also have an AC15(British not Chinese) and an AC10. All NOS glass. 14 tubes in those SVTs. More expensive than most guns I have lol.

I love those SVTs. My bass player playes an ernie ball through an svt and it's huge. I used to have a lot of amps. I'm a tone junky but after 35 years of playing I found my sound with a 2 amp setup of a Fuchs ODS 50 and a TwoRock TS1. My pedal setup is a montster and changes gig by gig based on the music. The only digital pedal I allow in my setup is the eventide H9 and I use that sparingly. My friends make fun of me with all the pedals but I think they are just jealous. lol

I love those SVTs. My bass player playes an ernie ball through an svt and it's huge. I used to have a lot of amps. I'm a tone junky but after 35 years of playing I found my sound with a 2 amp setup of a Fuchs ODS 50 and a TwoRock TS1. My pedal setup is a montster and changes gig by gig based on the music. The only digital pedal I allow in my setup is the eventide H9 and I use that sparingly. My friends make fun of me with all the pedals but I think they are just jealous. lol
I’ve almost always been in 3 piece bands. The last one ( and most successful) was a 3 piece hard rock/ alt band which I named Flood. We had some good originals but our bread and butter was covers. My guitarist/lead vocalist could pull off Tom Morello AND Zak De La Rocha. At the same time. Lots of AIC, Tool, Saliva, Deftones, Chevelle etc. We also did a lot of poppy 90s alt like Tripping Daisy, Everclear, Ludo, Offspring, STP, etc.

All that to say I had a lot of space to fill as a bass player in a 3 piece and my pedal board was pretty extensive. These days I play just for my own pleasure and very much prefer the sound of my Ric or the Spector straight through the SVT II NP. It’s the closest sounding SVT to the old Bluelines and is extremely dynamic. Want more dirt, pluck harder. Simple. I do have a weird fetish for vintage MXR Distortion + pedals. I have at least 7 of them in every iteration they made. Probably my love of Randy Rhoads coupled with the fact that when I was a kid it was the only pedal I owned. I normally don’t play them on the old Fender preferring the straight amp breakup through that Cream 90, but I’ll run it in front of the AC10 because I can get lots of gain with a low enough volume that my wife don’t get pissed off. I had a killer PA rig and continued to mix live for local bands after i dismembered my band but eventually I just didn’t have the time. I sold 20k worth of PA for about 5k and called it a day. I do still mix for bands very occasionally but usually only if someone is in a predicament and almost always at the same 2 venues which have decent house sound.

Do you have any Dumble ODS pedal recommendations? I need help man. The quest is starting to feel like I need help from the elves and dwarfs and all of Middle Earth..

I had one of the Shin dumbloid pedals but it sucked. The best pedals out there for the Dumble tone are the Kingsley. I use the Kingsley Maiden through my FX Loop. It's a pre-amp pedal that is pretty close to the dumble sound. I know people use it on the front end but my amps don't need the help. For ODS I use the Kingsley Paige to fatten up and give it a little grit and then the Harlot for real breakup and solo boosts. They are expensive but they are the best.

Back