testtest

My Cheap Gun Addiction Strikes Again

wmg1299

Professional
I was doing pretty well on passing-up deals for the past few months. I was able to almost completely ignore any number of Turkish clones and discount Taurus products. Unfortunately, I couldn't pass up the Beretta APX A1 Carry for $199 after rebate. Beretta is one of my favorite manufacturers, and I've never owned a Beretta product that I didn't like.

I'm assuming that the APX A1 Carry is one of their less popular models, or they wouldn't be offering a $100 Rebate. I've been very impressed with my full-size APX A1, so I figured I'd take a chance on the pocket version. Anyone else here ever pick up a gun, that wasn't even on their radar, just because of the price?

No, I never have bought a gun just because it's a good deal (I wish) ☺️. My LGS has the Taurus G3c for $199 after rebate through Christmas, a very tempting choice given that it comes with three mags.

Already have a G2c which doesn't help the decision making process. It's been better than expected and only came with two mags. Think I paid around $35 for the third, not to mention that when I bought it I paid around $80 more than the G3c is.

Dear me, I think I may have talked myself into this. Hope you are willing to accept your responsibility for what you may have started.

Great deal, from the specs the APX A1 Carry looks like an excellent little handgun and for $199.00 can't beat it. (y)

I picked up a Walther CCP M2 a while back on the (relatively) cheap just because of the price (and it's a Walther), turns out my wife loves shooting it and has designated it her personal handgun.

I bought a SCCY DVG1RD red dot ready 10+1 9mm for 144.00.
I put a crimson trace 1500 that i had laying around on it.
It had one one failure to feed on the first mag, its been very reliable ever since and it has about 700 rounds through it.
it shoots 3" groups at 15 yards

the "cheapest" guns i have ever bought were the Taurus G3c, the Taurus 856 UL revolver, and my current Tisas 1911.

i got rid of the 2 Taurus guns, and still not only have but love that Tisas, as it's my "crash test dummy", when i need to test out my reloaded 45 ACP ammo. my "plan" was to actually use the Tisas as my learning tool to take apart, and modify/rebuild a 1911, but that just hasn't happened yet.

I was doing pretty well on passing-up deals for the past few months. I was able to almost completely ignore any number of Turkish clones and discount Taurus products. Unfortunately, I couldn't pass up the Beretta APX A1 Carry for $199 after rebate. Beretta is one of my favorite manufacturers, and I've never owned a Beretta product that I didn't like.

I'm assuming that the APX A1 Carry is one of their less popular models, or they wouldn't be offering a $100 Rebate. I've been very impressed with my full-size APX A1, so I figured I'd take a chance on the pocket version. Anyone else here ever pick up a gun, that wasn't even on their radar, just because of the price?
(Cheap) although spelled differently the pronunciation is still the sound of what a baby chicken makes so I’ll say you mean inexpensive, that being said I don’t look at cost when it comes to purchasing a (want) wether it’s a gun or coffee maker. If you want it and it fits your desire and needs then go for it!

I recently picked up a Smith & Wesson 5906 from my LGS just like the one I used to carry on duty many moons ago. He had a few and I got mine for 350.00. They were advertised as used but mine didn't have any marks on it whatsoever and since it was a police trade in I expected at least holster wear which none was evident. All I did was change out the grips and recoil spring and it's a great shooter and brings back memories of that heavy all steel gun I used to carry. This purchase was just because I happened to be out and for kicks stopped in the shop to see if anything was going on. Had no intentions of buying anything that day...

the "cheapest" guns i have ever bought were the Taurus G3c, the Taurus 856 UL revolver, and my current Tisas 1911.

i got rid of the 2 Taurus guns, and still not only have but love that Tisas, as it's my "crash test dummy", when i need to test out my reloaded 45 ACP ammo. my "plan" was to actually use the Tisas as my learning tool to take apart, and modify/rebuild a 1911, but that just hasn't happened yet.
Tisas makes good 1911s for the price. I think you're on the right track to use a Tisas 1911 as a base to try to 1911 modifications.

I owned a Taurus PT1911 for a few years and it was accurate and reliable plus it was lefty friendly. It was very heavy, at least to me.

When I owned 1911s I usually only used 230 grain ball ammo. The only 1911 I ever fed almost any kind of 45 acp ammo was the Sig Sauer 1911 Revolution I owned. That 1911 never jammed on me and I used to shoot it a lot.

I have had a few Taurus revolvers and when you're on a budget they'll do. I once had a Taurus 450 (5 shot snubby in 45 Colt that was ported). It shot ok. Taurus has made some interesting revolvers over the years.

A Ruger or S&W revolver is in my opinion a better option and worth the extra money(plus they hold their resale values better than a Taurus).

I have a S&W 638 Bodyguard that's almost always around me because it's reliable and easy to shoot(especially after I added Hogue grips to it). I shoot regular 38 special ammo through it (and 38 snake shot on occasion) but it still looks pretty new...:).

1671547865478.gif

1671547910021.gif

Tisas makes good 1911s for the price. I think you're on the right track to use a Tisas 1911 as a base to try to 1911 modifications.

I owned a Taurus PT1911 for a few years and it was accurate and reliable plus it was lefty friendly. It was very heavy, at least to me.

When I owned 1911s I usually only used 230 grain ball ammo. The only 1911 I ever fed almost any kind of 45 acp ammo was the Sig Sauer 1911 Revolution I owned. That 1911 never jammed on me and I used to shoot it a lot.

I have had a few Taurus revolvers and when you're on a budget they'll do. I once had a Taurus 450 (5 shot snubby in 45 Colt that was ported). It shot ok. Taurus has made some interesting revolvers over the years.

A Ruger or S&W revolver is in my opinion a better option and worth the extra money(plus they hold their resale values better than a Taurus).

I have a S&W 638 Bodyguard that's almost always around me because it's reliable and easy to shoot(especially after I added Hogue grips to it). I shoot regular 38 special ammo through it (and 38 snake shot on occasion) but it still looks pretty new...:).
i pretty much only shoot ball ammo at 230 grains. when i buy my lead bullets, for reloading, i specify 230 grain (ball) round nose

it's what i started buying/shooting when i got into the 1911 platform, and it's all i want to shoot.

and yes, i find that if i bring 2 boxes @50 rounds per box? the ammo seems to weight more than the 1911....lol

No, I never have bought a gun just because it's a good deal (I wish) ☺️. My LGS has the Taurus G3c for $199 after rebate through Christmas, a very tempting choice given that it comes with three mags.

Already have a G2c which doesn't help the decision making process. It's been better than expected and only came with two mags. Think I paid around $35 for the third, not to mention that when I bought it I paid around $80 more than the G3c is.

Dear me, I think I may have talked myself into this. Hope you are willing to accept your responsibility for what you may have started.
I encountered the G2C and G3C at great prices also. I bought the PT 111 Millennium (previous name for the G2C) a few years ago. I carried it as my EDC for awhile due to the fact that it was the smallest double-stack 9mm at the time. It has been a great gun, and I still use it as a trainer. The gun was good enough that I picked up a G2C in .40 S&W when I found it for $199 a few years later. A G3C followed about a year later. I've had issues with Taurus in the past, but the G2/G3 series seem to be fantastic guns for the price.

Cheap doesn't mean bad in my opinion. The cheapest gun I ever bought was a Hi Point CF380 for $95 brand new about 20 years ago. It goes bang every time.
I also picked up two Hi-Points (.40 S&W and .45 ACP) around 2012 when I found them at my LGS for $99 each. They are clunky and ugly, but they go bang every time. They didn't necessarily make me into a Hi-Point fan, but I've got to give credit where credit is due.

I really wouldn’t call them cheap guns, economical guns maybe, my S&W SDVE in .40 cal is probably one of my best shooting guns, fits my hand good, no issues with it. Great little gun!
I have an SD40VE as well (I told you it was an addiction). The SD is not a "bad" gun, but it is the only gun that I have ever had to modify the trigger to shoot accurately. I love that gun, but it was a bit frustrating before I installed the Apex Trigger. It is still one of my favorite range guns. I took it to the range frequently during the period in 2020 when 9mm disappeared from shelves but .40 S&W was still available for $14.99 a box.

Back