testtest

My day job and hobby got to meet a couple years ago.

I shot and edited this piece with my buddy a couple years ago. It was really nice to have a day at a private long range facility. Both the client and the talent were fun to work with. Also, they let me take my first .50 shot and what an experience! 600 yards and the time it took to hear the steel gong blew my mind. "Did I hit it?....GONG....oh yeah I did!" Good times!

I used to make money at my hobby...but with this COVID lockdown crap, nobody can do any concerts or live music (or weddings, or field parties) at all. $15k in concert production gear...collecting dust.

I used to make money at my hobby...but with this COVID lockdown crap, nobody can do any concerts or live music (or weddings, or field parties) at all. $15k in concert production gear...collecting dust.
Yeah, my buddy and his company did the gear for conventions...saying it's been difficult to adapt doesn't really cover it. I managed to pull a few dicey gigs last year but nothing so far this year. I'm curious how adaptation is going to look moving forward.

The only potential move at this point is live broadcast or web streaming...but musicians hate that, because they feed off the audience's energy. And even with specifically-targeted software, over-the-web rehearsals are impossible simply due to data latency and delay (try to keep musical time over the internet - let me know how that works out for you!).

Most small-scale stuff is cover bands, so there's really no point in recording tracks for an "album", and since we really didn't see this coming we don't have any coherent video footage from past shows to put together a "live" video (gathering random, questionable-quality audience cellphone video isn't really worth the effort since you don't know what you'll get and generally can't use what you DO get).

We're just kinda hoping all this **** blows over by this summer so we can get back out there...openly, or "underground" (wink, wink).

The only potential move at this point is live broadcast or web streaming...but musicians hate that, because they feed off the audience's energy. And even with specifically-targeted software, over-the-web rehearsals are impossible simply due to data latency and delay (try to keep musical time over the internet - let me know how that works out for you!).

Most small-scale stuff is cover bands, so there's really no point in recording tracks for an "album", and since we really didn't see this coming we don't have any coherent video footage from past shows to put together a "live" video (gathering random, questionable-quality audience cellphone video isn't really worth the effort since you don't know what you'll get and generally can't use what you DO get).

We're just kinda hoping all this **** blows over by this summer so we can get back out there...openly, or "underground" (wink, wink).
That sucks, man. I hope you can get back to doing shows. I miss going to First Avenue for shows a lot.

One of the DAW's I use is called Reaper. It has the ability with an extension called "NINJAM" to play over the web real-time with no latency issues. It basically puts everyone on a universally timed click track.

In all seriousness that sucks.

Back