testtest

My EDC Recommendations for Beginners

I've been shooting for many decades and as most shooters from my generation I grew up shooting Da/Sa revolvers. As things grow and evolve many things come and go in favor, For instance shooting styles, grips and stances. Sometimes what's old becomes new again, for instance " riding the reset" was new, now many "experts" are recommending that a tactile reset of the trigger is NOT the fastest way to go and to shoot the way us old timers shot. ( whether or not you ride the reset is NOT the topic here and is only used as an example) During my gazillion trips to the range I've noticed that almost all malfunctions of modern firearms are shooter induced. Even when watching so called experts on YouTube the same occurs. A person attempts to fire their weapon and... nothing happens. Then they realize that they forgot to release the safety then they pull the trigger and nothing happens and they didn't load a round in the chamber. All this is done only under the stress of making a video, or at the gun range and the only stress is that someone might be watching you. Can you imagine the stress of a justifiable shooting?
With the above in mind, I have for years recommended to friends and family that their first self defense gun be a D/A-S/A revolver. There is no safety to worry about. There's no slide to worry about. There's no magazine to load or worry about seating. You simply load the cylinder and that's it. You pull the trigger and it goes boom. If for some crazy reason it doesn't go boom, you simply pull the trigger again and it will go boom. Simple. Before any Keyboard Commandos start typing train, train, train, ask yourself, are you overweight? Do you know anyone overweight? Do you exercise enough? Do you know anyone who doesn't exercise enough? People know what they should do and don't always do it. Also we are humans and humans make mistakes. We've all seen the video of the FBI agent who shoots himself in the leg and he was supposedly trained because he was teaching a class. Although people know that they should train with their firearm, many will not, including my own family members. I want my loved ones to be able to pull the trigger, under stressful situations and their firearms to function regardless of their training. Because of my training and my experiences this is my opinion as I'm sure you have yours.

And what if they are like junior, and don't put bullets in the cylinder because it gets heavy? But in all seriousness, are you also suggesting they train to reload that revolver, or just shoot out the cylinder and they are done? I am not trying to be a "keyboard commando", nor am I trying to say one is better than the other. Just saying it depends on the person. Some it is easier for them to rack a slide, holster it, and learn how to change mags out. Others may feel safer and actually be proficient with carrying cocked and locked, or round in chamber and safety on. Others may be comfortable with just a revolver and training under stress to reload that revolver if needed. Just trying to give a different perspective on people's abilities. Also, if none of them train, even once a month, then everything else is moot. However, for those that don't train and want to "set and forget", it really is up to that individual as to what they are comfortable with AND capable of handling. Just my 2 cents.

Personally I recommend they try everything they can get thier hands on before buying anything or making assumptions what is right for them. There are too many variables to assume anything.

Some people are just not comfortable with a revolver and some not with a pistol.

Add in caliber choices, body and clothing choices and they can make the best informed choices by trying firearms, carry methods etc.

Last edited:
I always thought "recommendations should be asked for, before given..............
Friends and family, not random strangers in a gun store. These are people the OP has earned the right to speak to and to offer advice to.

I personally don't offer advice even within my circle unless it's specifically asked for.

The reason that I don't is because even when it's specifically asked for it's almost never followed.

I think I've said this here before but the senior pastor at my church once asked me for advice on a carry gun. I told him I carried an M&P 9, I didn't even suggest that he get one I just told him that's what I carried. As soon as he saw it he said that's too big I would never carry that.

Then I suggested that he take another one of the staff pastors who was retired cop down to a local gun store (Where the owner gave discounts to anyone from my church) and look over what they had before deciding. I then excused myself from the conversation.

The last I heard he had purchased a Glock 42 and from what it was told he didn't even carry that.

I think I've also said this here but if I was pressed for advice I would just tell the person to get a used, first generation, M&P Shield 9 mm and call it good.

. It's a relatively inexpensive handgun. At least it was before Coronageddon.

2. It's small enough to conceal easily and people who are not committed to concealed carry will still carry it.

3. It's an easy gun to shoot well.

4. Nine rounds is adequate to most self defense needs.

5. They won't be too butt hurt when they eventually move on to something else.

If I ever were asked like I said I'd tell him to get a shield I didn't list the reasons I mentioned above (except for the part about not being committed and being butt hurt) and I'd call it good

My first CCW was a S&W 19 with 2 1/2” barrel, way back then, then again went with a revolver by Ruger a LCR, then I started carrying a G26 and so on till I now use the P365, I was taught many, many moons ago with shooting a revolver, when people ask me what they should start out with, I suggest revolver, but my thoughts on this to each there own, whatever is comfortable and easy for them to handle and what they feel safe with

And what if they are like junior, and don't put bullets in the cylinder because it gets heavy? But in all seriousness, are you also suggesting they train to reload that revolver, or just shoot out the cylinder and they are done? I am not trying to be a "keyboard commando", nor am I trying to say one is better than the other. Just saying it depends on the person. Some it is easier for them to rack a slide, holster it, and learn how to change mags out. Others may feel safer and actually be proficient with carrying cocked and locked, or round in chamber and safety on. Others may be comfortable with just a revolver and training under stress to reload that revolver if needed. Just trying to give a different perspective on people's abilities. Also, if none of them train, even once a month, then everything else is moot. However, for those that don't train and want to "set and forget", it really is up to that individual as to what they are comfortable with AND capable of handling. Just my 2 cents.
No slight intended

My point being that's it's easy to recommend training, just as it's also easy to recommend eating right, and exercising. Some people are just not going to take either advice.

Not sure what part of my long rambling implied that I was not asked for my recommendations by friends and family.
This is your title ;

"MY EDC RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BEGINNERS",​

This implies that your recommendations are for any "beginners" that should happen to read this, and yes, I do see that you included " With the above in mind, I have for years recommended to friends and family".

This is your title ;

"MY EDC RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BEGINNERS",​

This implies that your recommendations are for any "beginners" that should happen to read this, and yes, I do see that you included " With the above in mind, I have for years recommended to friends and family".
I Guess I could have made my title " MY EDC FOR BEGINNERS IN MY CIRCLE OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS BUT ONLY IF THEY ASK ME AND ONLY IF THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO TRAIN WITH ANY OTHER STYLE OF PISTOL OTHER THAN A REVOLVER DEPENDING ON FACTORS SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TOBUDGET, CLOTHING, HAND SIZE AND STRENGTH" but I thought that was what the body of the post was for.

I Guess I could have made my title " MY EDC FOR BEGINNERS IN MY CIRCLE OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS BUT ONLY IF THEY ASK ME AND ONLY IF THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO TRAIN WITH ANY OTHER STYLE OF PISTOL OTHER THAN A REVOLVER DEPENDING ON FACTORS SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TOBUDGET, CLOTHING, HAND SIZE AND STRENGTH" but I thought that was what the body of the post was for.
The title gets your attention, the body explains your title. but.......... that's ok, you have a nice day.

Friends and family, not random strangers in a gun store. These are people the OP has earned the right to speak to and to offer advice to.

I personally don't offer advice even within my circle unless it's specifically asked for.

The reason that I don't is because even when it's specifically asked for it's almost never followed.

I think I've said this here before but the senior pastor at my church once asked me for advice on a carry gun. I told him I carried an M&P 9, I didn't even suggest that he get one I just told him that's what I carried. As soon as he saw it he said that's too big I would never carry that.

Then I suggested that he take another one of the staff pastors who was retired cop down to a local gun store (Where the owner gave discounts to anyone from my church) and look over what they had before deciding. I then excused myself from the conversation.

The last I heard he had purchased a Glock 42 and from what it was told he didn't even carry that.

I think I've also said this here but if I was pressed for advice I would just tell the person to get a used, first generation, M&P Shield 9 mm and call it good.

. It's a relatively inexpensive handgun. At least it was before Coronageddon.

2. It's small enough to conceal easily and people who are not committed to concealed carry will still carry it.

3. It's an easy gun to shoot well.

4. Nine rounds is adequate to most self defense needs.

5. They won't be too butt hurt when they eventually move on to something else.

If I ever were asked like I said I'd tell him to get a shield I didn't list the reasons I mentioned above (except for the part about not being committed and being butt hurt) and I'd call it good
Good sound advice

My nephew who is 27 and is concerned about his safety asked me what gun to get ? He never shot one albeit video games. Since he never shot a real gun before took him out w a Gen 5 Glock 19. He learned all the basics primarily safety which is paramount. He now wants to get his first handgun and of course what do I recommend ? Told him like I'd tell anyone go handle and shoot all the different makes and models and calibers you can before making a decision. What I deem to be my favorite may be something he doesn't like. Then after determining what go and seek out professional training and practice.

My nephew who is 27 and is concerned about his safety asked me what gun to get ? He never shot one albeit video games. Since he never shot a real gun before took him out w a Gen 5 Glock 19. He learned all the basics primarily safety which is paramount. He now wants to get his first handgun and of course what do I recommend ? Told him like I'd tell anyone go handle and shoot all the different makes and models and calibers you can before making a decision. What I deem to be my favorite may be something he doesn't like. Then after determining what go and seek out professional training and practice.
I have never gotten along with a Glock. And believe me I've tried. Nevertheless, when non-shooters ask me where a good place to start is I tell them Glock.

Back