testtest

my older buddy's first ever range day

Old_Me

Ronin
yeah, he's a bit older than me.

he got himself a Glock 43, that only has 2 mags, 1 for 6 rounds, the other for 7 rounds

only wanted it for home defense, he does not want to carry at his age.

bought the gun like maybe 2 years ago?

but no one to take him to a range for practice, or how to hold, shoot, reload it, etc.

so, i made him an offer he couldn't refuse, a trip to my club, for a few lessons.

he had to be told to keep his finger off the trigger, until ready, or when releasing the slide to shoot.

i showed him my stance for shooting, which works for me, and he actually did a bit better as well.

hit the targets, maybe a flier or 2, into the back wall.....who doesn't..??

was very surprised at the kick from the recoil...on that tiny gun.

then i let him have at my Ruger SR 1911........

hit the target more often, and not as much recoil as the tiny Glock.

back in his Army days, up younder in Alaska, a 1911 was his side arm, to protect himself from the polar bears and moose.

great time he had, with a huge :poop: eating grin on his face......

told him, "maybe if things go good, we can go to the club, once, maybe twice a month, for you to practice"

he couldn't say..."OK", fast enough..........

i'll "surprise" him with a different 1911 each time...........

i think i created a monster...........

old people.........thier funny.........and cute, when they get excited.

he got himself a Glock 43, that only has 2 mags, 1 for 6 rounds, the other for 7 rounds

but no one to take him to a range for practice, or how to hold, shoot, reload it, etc.

so, i made him an offer he couldn't refuse, a trip to my club, for a few lessons.

he had to be told to keep his finger off the trigger, until ready, or when releasing the slide to shoot.

i showed him my stance for shooting, which works for me, and he actually did a bit better as well.

back in his Army days, up younder in Alaska, a 1911 was his side arm, to protect himself from the polar bears and moose.

told him, "maybe if things go good, we can go to the club, once, maybe twice a month, for you to practice"

Sounds like a great time, possibly another Glock enthusiast……

Sounds like a great time, possibly another Glock enthusiast……
1667590423032.png

I find that if people know you have guns AND have a safe place to shoot them, they become your friends very quickly.
I never advertise.
and i fully agree.

at the club, it actually cost me $10 to have him shoot there. since i invited him, i can't ask him to pay.

the public range he would be free under my membership, caveat there is that the range can be loud(er) than the club, as there "could be" many other shooters, especially those with AR's, and shotguns.

then, i'd be concerned for his safety as well as mine....as there can be some morons.

either the range or the club, only 1 shooting port can be used, when you have a guest....them's the rules.........

all in all, do i see him joining the private club..??

nope.......he just wants to get more proficient, which is a very good idea...

then he can go maybe once per month, to keep up.

Happiness is best when it’s shared with friends.…even mo’better when they bring the ammo.
Good for you Old_Me !
he actually helps out at the bait store, getting the customers items, and a few other things, but never at the cash register. he does not get paid for his time and help.......

however....

he was given a box of that federal red tipped 9mm..??? i think that's the Syntec..????

along with a box of WIN hollow points

and got a discount on his gun too....

and i fully agree.

at the club, it actually cost me $10 to have him shoot there. since i invited him, i can't ask him to pay.

the public range he would be free under my membership, caveat there is that the range can be loud(er) than the club, as there "could be" many other shooters, especially those with AR's, and shotguns.

then, i'd be concerned for his safety as well as mine....as there can be some morons.

either the range or the club, only 1 shooting port can be used, when you have a guest....them's the rules.........

all in all, do i see him joining the private club..??

nope.......he just wants to get more proficient, which is a very good idea...

then he can go maybe once per month, to keep up.
I hear you about the "mixed" crowd at the range. When I go with the kids, they absolutely have to be on their A game. Full concentration on what they are doing. It gets difficult when John Wick's lost little brother is in the lane beside you shooting an "88 magnum" with his friends from the circus.

This 1958 Baby 😎 was thrilled when shooting a 1911 at an AWOA (Armed Women of America) meeting - a gun that I was actually afraid to pick up.

The leaders had brought various guns for us to try, putting each type at a different bench. We were told to switch benches to try the various guns - I walked up to the bench with the 1911 (9mm Rock Island) and said out loud, “oh my God - that’s a 1911! I’m scared to touch it - I’ve heard they’re ‘complicated’, ‘not for newbies’, ‘outdated’.” My chapter leader encouraged me to shoot it anyway - racking it was like silk (in contrast to a horrid itty bitty gun that I could barely rack and got pinched each time I tried 😡) , shooting it was amazing - and I was hooked!

I love bringing first timers to the range. Their face after the first shot is priceless (even if it only a .22).

Sounds like a great time maybe he will want to go back to the 1911. Either way it’s just nice to go to the range

Same thing happened with Mrs. Tinyman. I asked if she would like to -- slight hesitation but then a solid yes. Her first was a Glock 42 but had a hard time racking. Then got a S&W M&P 380EZ -- she loves it. She saw one in a magazine I had left out (really got to stop doing that). Finally found a Browning 1911 A1 Compact -- she REALLY loves that one.

Just the smile on her face makes living worthwhile.

Same thing happened with Mrs. Tinyman. I asked if she would like to -- slight hesitation but then a solid yes. Her first was a Glock 42 but had a hard time racking. Then got a S&W M&P 380EZ -- she loves it. She saw one in a magazine I had left out (really got to stop doing that). Finally found a Browning 1911 A1 Compact -- she REALLY loves that one.

Just the smile on her face makes living worthwhile.
That’s what it’s all about, Very nice

Back