testtest

My "Other" Love

USMC6094

Custom
I grew up shooting American heavy metal, the Garand and Carbine, 1903, Trapdoor and such, with a nice Chinese SKS war trophy as an occasional distraction, but I'd never owned, much less shot an AK of any type.

Then came 2004 and the AWB's expiration, and low and behold the AKs to be had.

My first was a WASR10, and it was a DOG. You couldn't hit water with it if you were in the middle of lake, in row boat.

In 2017 I decided that I wanted a good quality AK that didn't come from a kit, so I bought an Arsenal SLR-107FR, and I wish I'd made the purchase years sooner.
20201110_161013(1).jpg

It's gone through a bit of evolution since I brought it home, but it's still accurate (more accurate than you'd imagine), and dead reliable.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

I grew up shooting American heavy metal, the Garand and Carbine, 1903, Trapdoor and such, with a nice Chinese SKS war trophy as an occasional distraction, but I'd never owned, much less shot an AK of any type.

Then came 2004 and the AWB's expiration, and low and behold the AKs to be had.

My first was a WASR10, and it was a DOG. You couldn't hit water with it if you were in the middle of lake, in row boat.

In 2017 I decided that I wanted a good quality AK that didn't come from a kit, so I bought an Arsenal SLR-107FR, and I wish I'd made the purchase years sooner.
View attachment 44822

It's gone through a bit of evolution since I brought it home, but it's still accurate (more accurate than you'd imagine), and dead reliable.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
That thing looks like a mean machine!

That thing looks like a mean machine!

As it should lol.
It's also quite a bit more svelte than it was in the beginning. It used to mount an M.I. extended lower hand guard, and top one to mount an Aimpoint (this one had a PRO), and it was very front heavy.
I slimmed it down with an M.I. railed gas tube, and Magpul lower hand guard. Optic is a Bushnell TSR-25. These simple changes alone trimmed two pounds off the front end.

A lot of people like AKs but I don't have much experience with them. I actually have a PSA GF3 somewhere? I had an AK guy put it together for me with a different trigger (AG?) a muzzle brake and nice "Russian Red" wood furniture. I need to remember where the H377 I put that. I have heard that there is a world of difference in some makes and models. I guess for me they were always the "bad guys" gun so they just didn't interest me. I'm glad you got one of the good ones, welcome to the forum. Now where is that rifle?

Aside from the fore end refinement, I also upgraded the muzzle brake to a chrome lined model (the the stock brake is not lined), added a Krebs Custom enhanced safety lever, and Krebs aperture rear sight.
The rear sight is the game changer, all you do to get a good sight picture is line up the circles......and you can't miss.

Aside from the fore end refinement, I also upgraded the muzzle brake to a chrome lined model (the the stock brake is not lined), added a Krebs Custom enhanced safety lever, and Krebs aperture rear sight.
The rear sight is the game changer, all you do to get a good sight picture is line up the circles......and you can't miss.
I like the thought of adding an aperture rear...but the factory zeroing of stock sites on the Zastava is pretty darn spot-on.

@Jfal I have an NPAP I've been tweaking since 15 and even having changed out its rear sight with that of an RPK (for the rear sight windage) and it still wasn't that far off when I zeroed it
Im just a weekend range doofus...but the very 1st 3 shots with my M70 at 25 yards were all through the same hole in the paper...made me re-think my devotion to the AR. Until I went to 100 yards and my old eyes (and crappy technique) made me more human. I am now a fan of the AK platform. Love how clean it was after 400 rounds, except the gas tube!

Ultradyne ?

They make outstanding BUIS, including front sights with apertures.

Back